Home

Official Monkey Island playthrough schedule

Huz

For those who weren't there or didn't know, LucasArts did a live 1-hour playthrough of the new Monkey Island Special Edition today at Justin.tv and it just ended a little while ago. I recorded most of the entire playthrough (audio only). So you can't see anything, but you can hear some of the updates. Plenty of examples of voice work and the new soundtrack as well. It's in OGG Vorbis format because it's smaller than MP3 and it's quite a long file (brought the file size down 94.7%!).

I missed the intro music and the opening. But the recording starts in the Scumm Bar while talking to Spiffy, I believe. They also switch between the Special Edition and Classic modes often so when the sound dies down and you hear the original CD-ROM version that's what that is. Enjoy. The quality is actually pretty good. If you don't know how to play OGG files then download Winamp or a plugin for Windows Media Player. The sound is also a little loud and distorted just at the beginning because I had the volume level up too high. I fixed it shortly after recording.

Monkey Island Special Edition Playthrough 52:42 long, 28.4MB

Some musical cues. Some of these aren't the only times they come up:

00:00 - Scumm Bar

06:47 - LeChuck's Theme (cutscene)

14:38 - Jail Theme (Otis) (notice that this version uses the alternate bass lead from the Adlib/MT-32 soundtrack that wasn't included in the CD-ROM version)

16:40 - Following the Shopkeeper

21:56 - The Circus

24:22 - Melee Island Map

26:24 - Voodoo Shop I love this version but my only issue is that this wouldn't sound near as threatening enough in the Monkey Island cave tunnel maze

52:02 - Stan's Used Ships

Also I missed the Loom guy's sales pitch, but the voice acting for that character was spectacularly goofy! Too bad I missed it. The shopkeeper's voice is absolutely excellent.

Nice seeing you there man. Do you think I annoyed the LucasArts guy too much with my constant CAPS LOCKS and telling him what to do?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow I guess I'm too nitpicky. I guess it comes with playing this game for nineteen years and hearing the voices sound a certain way in my head.

I hated Cobb's voice. I dunno why it just bugged. Same with Mancomb, Estevan and Otis.

I did love the Shopkeeper and Carla the Sword Master. Spot On. Terrific casting LucasArts. And Guybrush as usual was awesome.

Everyone else for the most part was ok.

I'll probably get used to for the most part hopefully because the graphics,sound and music are so incredible. But arghh I guess I'm really nitpicky.

Yeah, I hate the way the CD version messed with the music. There shouldn't be any music in the jail nor when you visit Stan's (at the very least until he's actually there!).

Here's a nitpick: What the hell is that Monkey squalk at the end of the opening credits? Totally unnecessary and weird!

Also: It's funny, the SE designers did as well as anyone could, but if MI had been written with dialogue in mind now, I'm sure the whole Spiffy gag would have been cut.

One more thing: I don't think anyone has mentioned it, yet, but Earl Boen was AWESOME as LeChuck/Fester.

@Sven_Q45: What? What do you mean? I was pointing out that the bass lead in the remake of that song is from the alternate version in the Adlib soundtrack while the CD-ROM version uses a simpler bass lead.

IIRC, however, the Melee Woods theme on the Adlib version is the same as the CD-ROM version. So I wonder if they kept the simple version for the woods in the remake as well...

I've not mentioned this yet, but I do wonder why they didn't think to combine the nine verbs into the 3 that CMI used. I don't think there'd by any jokes missed?

Open/Close, Push/Pull, Pick up and Use = USE

Look at = LOOK AT

Talk to = TALK TO

Inventory icon = GIVE/USE ON

I guess they wanted to "keep it real". I hope it doesn't get in the way of the gameplay.

Just watched the whole thing and everything seemed pretty much perfect to me. The Guybrush sprite has really grown on me and is now my seconf version of Guybrush (pending some hands on with Tales).

So great to see the original looking so good and with full voice acing, the humour really holds up and in some places is funnier with voice acting that it was without. I laughed some places that never made me laugh on previous play throughs! LOVE IT!

My money is on a June 24th or July 1st release!

I've not mentioned this yet, but I do wonder why they didn't think to combine the nine verbs into the 3 that CMI used. I don't think there'd by any jokes missed?

Open/Close, Push/Pull, Pick up and Use = USE

Look at = LOOK AT

Talk to = TALK TO

Inventory icon = GIVE/USE ON

I guess they wanted to "keep it real". I hope it doesn't get in the way of the gameplay.

Isn't there a few places where you can try and "pick up" some women? I think there would be too many upset people if you tampered with the original verbs. I think you will find more occasions than you expect when there are jokes and dialogue associated with the lost verbs.

And I highly doubt gameplay will be effected because for the weaker among the new players (and old with lesser memories) we now have the hint system in place.

Also: It's funny, the SE designers did as well as anyone could, but if MI had been written with dialogue in mind now, I'm sure the whole Spiffy gag would have been cut.
Indeed. That one doesn't work at all with voice acting, imho. Using a real dog for this might have worked better.
I think there would be too many upset people if you tampered with the original verbs. I think you will find more occasions than you expect when there are jokes and dialogue associated with the lost verbs.
Indeed. This happened already with the enhanced CD. The floppy versions had also "turn on" and "turn off". There is actually just one item where you can use them without getting some standard reaction which you also get with other verbs, iIrc. It's the grog machine, where both verbs had a special reaction. Also "turn on" can be used on the sign to toggle the bridge to the swordmaster, though this is rather insignificant, as "use" does it too and makes more sense anyways.

Ok so I just finished Escape from Monkey Island. So here are my final thoughts -

OMG that was HORRIBLE! The first two acts are ok, although they lack any real humour IMO. But my god does Act 3 go downhill FAST. Ok to wrap up, and since there is very little good to list here is my...

Things that are wrong with EMI list:-

1. Control system

It's not too bad once you get used to it but should have been PnC. And since this is the first thing that hits you when you play, it's first on my list.

2. Not funny.

I honestly don't think I laughed out loud once in the entire game. And in the 3rd act all I did was cringe!

3. Melee Island

Barely recognisable, too many changes especially the SCUMM bar.

4. Bad puzzles

This doesn't go for all of them because some were good, but too many puzzles where you had to stumble on hard to see items. Maybe it was a PS2 thing but I could not see that Banana Picker at all, and I knew it was there!

5. Revisionist story

Too many to list but all bad ideas. Toothrot is Granpa Marley? Terrible idea. And don't get me started on the painfully unfunny and unimaginative Ozzie Mandrill (although I like the reference to Ozzymandias).

6. Monkey Combat

What an awful idea this was. There is nothing funny about it, it was painfully time consuming and just plain dumb.

7. The whole 3rd act.

Virtually nothing redeeming about the Monkey Island act at all, crap puzzles, no jokes (none that weren't painfully bad anyway), story devolves into idiocy. Which brings me to...

8. Giant Robot Monkey and Giant statue LeChuck!

What the hell were they thinking! Not only does this get rid of the beloved giant monkey head on Monkey Island but it is the worst story idea for the series ever. And is it me or does the way you beat LeChuck by drawing to him make no sense at all?!

Wow, I can say without a shadow of a doubt that I will NEVER EVER play this game again!

Can't wait to play through the Special Edition so I can wash this awful taste from my metaphorical mouth.

I agree with most of your points there, though I didn't think it was that bad.

Well I enjoyed the first two acts despite the fact they weren't funny. Especially the Peg Nose Pete part, thought that was good. And the swamp time travel puzzle is brilliant. Best part of the entire game.

But act 3 is truly horrible. It actually hurts the series and as far as I am concerned it is dead to me ;)

Now I'm actually worried that Mike Stemmle is on Tales, his writing better have improved a LOT since Escape. Thank goodness that Dave is around helping make sure it's funny. Monkey Island without good jokes is not a good Monkey Island!

And Thunderpeel, my advice is to never play Escape ever again. I wish I had left it as a memory of a mildly disappointing game rather than having replayed it and feel it is a stain on Monkey Island's entire existence!

I only played the demo (thank God) and I thought the game was horrible. The controls sucked even though "supposedly" they were the same as Grim Fandango. The design of Melee Island compared to the original made zero sense. For instance how the hell did the Governor's Mansion end up on the Northwest side of the island even though it was on the Southwest side of the island in the original?! The puzzles in the demo (which were basically the same in the final product) were idiotic. Give the demoltionist pretzels in order to distract him? How original was that... it probably took them hours to make up a puzzle like that. In general the puzzles were way too obvious and took little thinking to complete. I'm not going to go to graphics because thats not what an adventure is about. Finally the ending was horrible and just didn't make any sense even by Monkey Island standards.

The main downsides for me in Escape, were Ozzie and the finale. Other than that I was rather enjoyable. Though I don't think I will play through it again, once is enough.

LeChuck should have been the main badguy, not Ozzie!

Ha! I think you should try it again and see if you still feel the same :)

Ha! I think you should try it again and see if you still feel the same :)

I think he should leave well enough alone and let him think that's all that's wrong with it. I'm a firm believer in "if ignorance is bliss, then wipe the smile of my face". But in this case it's better to be ignorant.

I would even say for those that never played it, play acts 1 & 2 and then turn it off.

Right, I'm not making much progress with my playthroughs. I might just skip to EFMI, because that's the game I'm least familiar with!

It pains me to say it, but the fact you have to draw with LeChuck to beat him does make some kind of twisted, demented sense. When you draw with the monkeys, they slap themselves on the head in frustration and (for some reason) LeChuck does the same.

Pretty stupid, but at least you can't say there's NO logic to it at all!

Archived