Home

Is a MI2:SE possible at all?

Laserschwert

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think the backgrounds would be the biggest challenge or the iMuse stuff. All the special case animations would be a huge workload. And it would've to be done properly, funny and very professional. You'd need real skilled 2D animators to do those fluid, squash & stretch motions.

My fear is that the crowd that's working at LucasArts right now might not be skilled enough to do the old work justice. Hope that my fear is unfounded!

I was thinking, actually, that while the iMuse stuff may pose a gigantic barrier for simple porting, there's also a LOT of dialogue in MI1... The download size might be too big for XBLA? (Isn't there a limit?)

Actually you'll be suprised by the memory space of the 360. I have 6 games already and I still have about 11.6 GB (which is a lot believe you me) of memory left. The most memory space a 360 can hold is about 120 GB.

I was thinking, actually, that while the iMuse stuff may pose a gigantic barrier for simple porting, there's also a LOT of dialogue in MI1... The download size might be too big for XBLA? (Isn't there a limit?)

They upped the limit a while back. Now it's massive. For instance the Watchmen game alone was 1.6gb I think. So that wouldn't be a barrier.

To be honest after watching a couple of videos of SOMI:SE I have to say that the animations look horrible. They're rigid and stiff. Everything else however is great. The graphics (escpecially the artwork) look beautiful and the gameplay (obviously) is solid. The animations again are just bad. Guybrush walks around like he is constipated and everything just seems so restricted.

Well the "stiff" animations might be the impression you get if you use the same number of animation frames and basic technique like in the original but in high-res the flaws and shortcomings become more visible.

They decided to go with a more CMI like Guybrush who is taller than the old sprite and thus his limited animation frames for walking become more apparent.

At least that's what I think. it's a real art form to get the most out of an animation when you only have e.g. 6 fps to work with. Maybe they should rehire Purcell or some oldschool stop-motion artists :)

To be honest after watching a couple of videos of SOMI:SE I have to say that the animations look horrible. They're rigid and stiff. Everything else however is great. The graphics (escpecially the artwork) look beautiful and the gameplay (obviously) is solid. The animations again are just bad. Guybrush walks around like he is constipated and everything just seems so restricted.

I agree... but that's because they only use the original frames -- there's no extra ones. With such slick gfx it becomes very noticeable. The same issue is in Street Fighter 2: HD Remix on the 360.

I agree... but that's because they only use the original frames -- there's no extra ones. With such slick gfx it becomes very noticeable. The same issue is in Street Fighter 2: HD Remix on the 360.

I thought it looked OK but that's because I am aware of this issue and my eyes are prepared for it. But Thunderpeel is 100% right it's a fidelity of graphics far exceeding the animations issue.

Dude I know how animation works, I went to an animation school for 4 years...

I was just pointing out that a taller Guybrush with longer arms and legs might be a little more difficult to animate properly. you can't exactly draw over the old keyframes if your T-poses and draw-sheets for the characters don't match up.

I think the animation looks just fine (as in equal to the original) EDIT: I changed my mind on this, they are a little stiff, but I stand by the position that some people think they are bad for an entirely different issue, the one stated below.

It stands out as having less frames due to the fidelity of the graphics. It is after all a frame for frame remake. Each frame of animation is simply drawn on top of the old, Guybrush may be taller (and that might make it stand out more) but I think if you spend time grabbing each frame and comparing it to the original you will see that they match up very accurately. It would simply take addition frames to improve the animation quality.

If I get a minute I'll grab the sprite frames myself and show you. Personally I think your eyes are playing tricks on you and there is nothing wrong with the new walking animation at all. You expect it to look one way and it looks different because of the higher resolution and different character design.

Ok here it is ( -

Guybrush-Animation-Sprites.jpg

Not sure what happened to frame 5 from the original, looks all wrong to me, I think the guy that ripped them messed up that frame.

The leg animations looks pretty identical to me. I can see they changed the arm swing a little to be less exaggerated, in a high resolution sprite I cna see those arms swings would look a little over the top.

Like I say I think the animation looks fine, would look great with twice as many frames but that would require changes to the code.

Personally I really LOVE this new Guybrush. My second favourite GB after Monkey 2. He looks like such an adorable dork! :-D

EDIT: Oh crap we are way off topic. Maybe we should move this to a new thread if we are going to continue talking about animation and the Special Edition. This should be about Monkey Island 2: Special Edition

I dunno, that video was streamed and lags alot, which would cause it to look like a loss in frames. I don't see why they would make the game look choppier than the orginal and call it a HD remake. At least I hope its the lag and not the actual gameplay making it look choppy.

I dunno, that video was streamed and lags alot, which would cause it to look like a loss in frames. I don't see why they would make the game look choppier than the orginal and call it a HD remake. At least I hope its the lag and not the actual gameplay making it look choppy.

There is no doubt the game has all the frames, just a conversion to video or video taken from streaming issue. They said they used all the frames from the original game.

Where did you rip those Guybrush frames from?

Also: I can't believe frame 5 of the old GB has been boinked all this time and we never noticed! Lol!

Oh I didn't tell you? I already have the game and a Lucas arts SDK kit. I work at Lucasarts.

Lol, nah just joking. I'm a professional flash animator so I have some really cool toys :-)

I grabbed the flash file from the official site and just pulled the frames out of it. It has LeChuck, a monkey and Elaine in there too :-D

And I have a feeling that frame 5 was messed up by the guy that ripped it, it looks like he pasted two frames on top of each other.

Archived