Home

Is a MI2:SE possible at all?

Laserschwert

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do believe the special edition will happen, but it does not take away from the possibility of a fan-made remaster utilising the classic menu and inventory and producing cleaner, more defined backgrounds, inventory objects. The speech project currently in production can be merged into this and toggled as an option.

The speech project is kind of useless now don't you think? SOMI:SE is coming out soon but MI2:SE, I'm not so sure. I think IF we are going to do this remake (if we want to because I'm not saying anything). We should use the original sprites with the remade backgrounds. IF we do this of course.

I would like to see a remake incorporate any unfinished or imcomplete sections from the original game that were left out due to time and/or feasibility reasons.

This also includes the medium difficulty setting option and perhaps a discussed and agreed upon coda to the long-debated ending.

Photoshopping the pixel backgrounds is also a lot less time consuming than recreating all of them. These kinds of projects tend to die a lot, so Photoshopping old backgrounds and pollishing them up is a lot more realistic than redrawing them all. There's also the items (111 item icons according to SCUMMbar.com) and a lot of character and prop sprites. I'd think items are best redrawn. Simply enhanced characters and props may look out of place, redrawing those might look tons better, but that also takes a lot of work.

Redrawn backgrounds, quite similar to the current artwork with flourishes of Curse of Monkey Island in the sky, cloudscapes and maps.

The one I'm part way through drawing at the minute incorporates the CMI style clouds :p

Also, I might have a go at some item sprites

I'd gladly help on MI2:SE too, but ONLY if they say they will not make one. And that will ONLY happen if both Tales and SE don't do very well. If either is a hit, then I would bet cold hard cash that MI2:SE is a cert.

I'm working on a mock up of what Guybrush would look like in MI2:SE :)

I repainted one background from scratch... I know its missing stuff but its just a mock-up

Nice, although the door seems a little off. Mind you I never could quite work out that door in the original. I've only just now realised it's meant to be like a corridor with the door on the wall to the side of the stairs, parallel to the wall with the porthole, damn those crazy ship designs... but maybe I'm still horrendously wrong D:

Nah my version is on the side of the wall it was more obvious before I painted the curtain.... ah well

Lol sorry, I can just never get my head around it, the angles and stuff are just far too confusing. Maybe someone should mock-up a 3D design of the room and work at it from there? Maybe it's one of those impossible 3D objects :p

You're giving me a wonderful idea. Ever heard of camera projection?

It's a technique of projecting 2D images from a camera onto a scene. You can basically make 3d versions out of 2D mattepaintings pretty easily with it.

If I ever get the time it might be a nice idea to try and project some of the MI2 backgrounds onto basic 3D geometry and then make little animated camera movements. Or even do a little MI2 playthrough animated movie!

How about extracting, isolating and layering background, foreground and interactive elements of each scene and allowing subtle movement of each as Guybrush walks and moves the story along?

Three or four layers is all that is needed for each scene.

An example also includes slight swaying of the ships that make up Woodtick, layers of trees surrounding the Governer's mansion, a more open and populous version of Booty Island / Big Whoop Fairground that is akin to Puerto Pollo within Curse of Monkey Island and a more spacious version of LeChuck's fortress.

Archived