Home

Is a MI2:SE possible at all?

Laserschwert

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great!

BUT: You do realize that the low-res Guybrush is squashed, right? (the game was at 320x200, but stretched to a 4:3 resolution when displayed) If you use him as a guide you have to stretch him by 120% vertically. Other than that: Fantastic!

How's this? I stretched him 120%

qs3z8y.png

Laserschwert: Just a quick question: I played DOTT last night again and there is a pretty good reference for a perfect circle in it (a good way to see if your aspect ratio is off)

It's the hamster wheel generator screen.

So I did what I always do before playing: I hit FULLSCREEN and activated the 640x400->640x480 aspect ratio correction but now the hamster wheel was too thin! It only made a perfect circle when I didn't use the correction.

I played on a laptop with 1280x800 resolution so I think AR correction should be on, but still. It looked wrong.

So either the artists back in the day screwed up or something is wrong here.

I thought it was backwards: The pixels on the screens were rectangular so 320x200 on an Amiga screen in 1990 looked like 320x240 on a 1:1 pixel screen of today.

So in order to get the correct aspect ratio I still have to activate the 640x400->640x480 correction. At least in the Monkey Island games I can definitely notice the characters being too fat without it. I just got curious when i noticed that DOTT looked wrong with it activated. Maybe i can get a screen up.

I think they' try a Maniac Mansion SE, Zak and Loom first and in the meantime start selling a new MI collection including the SE.

It's a bit like with Sierra VGA remakes from the early 90s.

There is already a deluxe wich is basicly there se. Check out the differences.

Maniac Mansion:

maniac-mansion-dungeon1.jpg

Maniac%

Maniac Mansion Deluxe:

maniac20mansion20deluxexa7.png

0_maniac_mansion_deluxe_01.JPG

It's the same way for The Dig, though. The moon in the introduction is oval shaped and the LucasArts logo is noticeably stretched vertically when using aspect ratio correction. I think at some point (perhaps DOTT?) LucasArts game designers decided that 320x200 was now a square-pixel 16:10 ratio with black bars on the top and bottom instead of a 4:3 non-square pixel aspect ratio.

Archived