Home

Is a MI2:SE possible at all?

Laserschwert

The reason why I do want to see more special editions in for the hi-rez backgrounds and sprites and the voice acting... and the way Lucasarts is making it where you can switch back and forth from new to old, everybody wins.... so why would you be against that?

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's so much life in LeChuck's Revenge that with a steady and commited creative team, the spirit of the game can be really brought out again and intensified in the wonderful backgrounds created and scanned in 1991, now able to be seen in their full glory in 2009.

As long as the adventure element and the game mechanics are recreated faithfully, I am happy to either play LeChuck's Revenge Special Edition, or remake it as part of a fan effort.

I think the main focus will be faithful reproductions of the original backgrounds, based on the in-game graphics and the few high resolution scans that we have.

What's great about Lucasarts adventures is that the graphical window element is in widescreen ratio due to the size of the command and inventory section.

If we start an MI2:SE now we'll just get a C&D. They've already said they'd be happy to do one in the future themselves, so we shouldn't actually start planning for one.

Having said that, I'm currently about doing a repainting of the Scabb Island swamp just for fun, which is about 90% complete (I've not been committed to it fully, but it will be completed soon and I'll post it here when it is).

@irishmile

I don´t like to improve a very good game. They were technically good for this time. My opinion. ;) That´s the reason. But hey as a LA adventure game fanboy I would buy (nearly) everything! :D I think MI 1:SE is great yeah. I think the best adventure games are in the 2 D style like CMI. But we´ve 2009 unfortunately. :( And LucasArts as technology nerds... :D

But yes voice would be great. They only thing I approve. But in the old modus would be great. And a remake of Dott could destroy the game! It´s (nearly) perfect. My all time favorite for ever!

The same as the FM-Towns versions. One time played and I never played the old one again. :indif:

I WANT A SWKOTOR REMAKE AS ADVENTURE GAME!! :thmbup1::thmbup1:

If we start an MI2:SE now we'll just get a C&D. They've already said they'd be happy to do one in the future themselves, so we shouldn't actually start planning for one.

Having said that, I'm currently about doing a repainting of the Scabb Island swamp just for fun, which is about 90% complete (I've not been committed to it fully, but it will be completed soon and I'll post it here when it is).

Well, we can work away from the board, and post it up once it is complete.

If Lucasarts announce a special edition, we doff our caps and decide then if we continue on with our tribute and remake.

I'd love to see the swamp, a certain amount of felt texture can be added for extra authenticity akin to the felt tip drawn original backgrounds.

Yes Indy 4 Talkie but with sounds like the other FM-Towns.

But I think the reason why there are no CD music tracks in MI 2 and Indy 4 is that Imuse could not be compatible with that!

I mean all other FM-Towns versions have NO Imuse. Only from MI 2.

@Tower Five

Ok if it works the same but I don´t understand technollogy. :D

Imagine your typical pop song, it has various instrumentation such as guitars, piano, drums all layered on top of one another.

Each instrument makes up one single element of the overall song, so it is possible to keep each element seperate and fade in and out, change volume and play each instrument on its own.

When recording the special edition soundtrack, it would be wise to record the in-game music so that each instrument can be singled out and played solo or with all the other instruments. From this, iMuse can be utilised to, for example, keep the drums playing but fade out the organ, or fade out the drums and keep other instruments playing, the possibilities are endless and it allows flawless and perfect transitions between the musical tracks.

I wouldn't mind a Last Crusade version with the Indy4 sprite. That would probably cut the workload for the Indy animations in half. (the "special case animations" are not as widespread as in e.g. MI2)

But I guess they'll never do a SE of Last Crusade. Too many screens and most of them would have to get A LOT more detailed for a 1080p update. Also together with the original Maniac Mansion and Zak it's the "least accessible" of the classic adventures. The puzzles are a lot harder than what you get with normal adventures.

The way I see it, LucasArts are going to avoid trying to improve the iMuse-enabled games until they can find a way to improve the music without removing iMuse entirely. Then if you assume that the games being ported to steam are probably not getting remade (at least, in the near future) it really only leaves us with Maniac Mansion, Zak McKracken, and Grim Fandango (as logical choices anyway.)

Of course I could be utterly barking up the wrong tree, and Loom / the Indy games could be heading to Steam because they have designs on remaking them. Time will tell. And whilst I know everyone would be thrilled to get MI2, surely they'll want to move away from the Monkey Island series after this incredible summer? Not permanently, but perhaps to focus on their other classic games for a while.

The way I see it, LucasArts are going to avoid trying to improve the iMuse-enabled games until they can find a way to improve the music without removing iMuse entirely. Then if you assume that the games being ported to steam are probably not getting remade (at least, in the near future) it really only leaves us with Maniac Mansion, Zak McKracken, and Grim Fandango (as logical choices anyway.)

Of course I could be utterly barking up the wrong tree, and Loom / the Indy games could be heading to Steam because they have designs on remaking them. Time will tell. And whilst I know everyone would be thrilled to get MI2, surely they'll want to move away from the Monkey Island series after this incredible summer? Not permanently, but perhaps to focus on their other classic games for a while.

iMuse is implementable using non-midi instruments but it requires the in-game music to be spread across multiple audio channels to ensure each instrument can be isolated, utilised and changed at will. It's not a problem for modern systems to achieve but it requires a little more effort in the production process and I imagine they'd have to implement a new version of iMuse that is capable of working with multi-channel, modern codec-based audio.

Remakes of all the games are really not needed, Atlantis still holds up well after seventeen years due to its realistic artwork and excellent voice acting, in contrast to Monkey Island which was initially without speech and the original artwork was drawn entirely in computer using Deluxe Paint and had a much more functional but static look to it all.

Maniac Mansion would be a dream remake, as it is a simpler, shorter game than most and it could really build on the graphical charisma of the sequel, Day Of the Tentacle.

Alas, we still pine for LeChuck's Revenge and Loom...

When it was first released, speech in videogames was unheard of in the quantity and franchise that Atlantis was a part of. The in-game graphics really set the atmosphere for each location and allowed the player to fully be aware of Indiana Jones' need to travel the world and beneath it.

A friend of mine noticed on the LECSteam Twitter (created for the new Steam releases I guess) that MI2 will be getting the special edition treatment and is slated for an August 25th release. But it was removed! Premature news release? Maybe they want to see how the Steame rereleases and SMI:SE do first?

A friend of mine noticed on the LECSteam Twitter (created for the new Steam releases I guess) that MI2 will be getting the special edition treatment and is slated for an August 25th release. But it was removed! Premature news release? Maybe they want to see how the Steame rereleases and SMI:SE do first?

Nice scoop! (Any screengrab evidence?) Maybe August 25h for NEXT year... I really can't see how they could do an SE that quickly when MI1 apparently took 8 months :confused:

Archived