Home

Is a MI2:SE possible at all?

Laserschwert

It's not the cursor... it's a painting!

I know it's a painting, but I have the Rogue Leaders book and the cursor isn't on the original painting in the book. So it's obviously been added by someone somewhere — I've just got no idea why.

Has all this Rogue Leaders art actually made it online, BTW? I always forget how much awesome stuff there is in here (even if sadly not a whole book's worth).

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heh sorry I put the cursor on. I was trying to see what it would look like in HD (the re-make of MI1 is in HD for xbox, so it makes sense that a sequel would be the same) and the original in-game cursor is a bit dull.

Gotta back Thunderpeel up here. It's just being inclusive, the fact is those pamphlets are for people of all race.

So why should they have all white people on them? And why does having someone of another race = token non-white?

Don't know about where you people live but I live in a mixed race community and seeing two white people and a black or Hispanic person, or two non-whites and a white is not a strange thing to see.

I don't understand what you have a problem with, and your claim that people would be OK if they were all black is obviously not true because you would be offended. So why exactly are you offended that the pictures MIGHT be trying to be inclusive and accurate to reality and the fact that there is as many non-white people as there are white!?

Seems to me the only way you would be happy is if they were all white and had no "token non-white race". Why are you looking at those pictures and thinking "why is there a non-white person there? That must be a token to political correctness?". Seriously ask yourself what mix of race would make you feel it was non racists or not PC?

But more to the point WHY THE HELL are we having a race discussion in a Monkey Island thread?!!!

I was just pointing out how those things go out of their way to be PC, sometimes to a hilarious degree and before you get your underwear in a bunch and start saying "I dont know where you're from" Let me just say I am in a mixed race marriage I am white, my wife is Asian.. my three kids are mixed... So where I am from personally is a very happy multi-race place...

I was just pointing out how those things go out of their way to be PC, sometimes to a hilarious degree and before you get your underwear in a bunch and start saying "I dont know where you're from" Let me just say I am in a mixed race marriage I am white, my wife is Asian.. my three kids are mixed... So where I am from personally is a very happy multi-race place...

Don't take that part of my statement the wrong way, I only meant that I make no presumption on any of your backgrounds or way's of life.

It's to easy to read things out of context on the internet.

Gotta back Thunderpeel up here. It's just being inclusive, the fact is those pamphlets are for people of all race.

So why should they have all white people on them? And why does having someone of another race = token non-white?

Don't know about where you people live but I live in a mixed race community and seeing two white people and a black or Hispanic person, or two non-whites and a white is not a strange thing to see.

I don't understand what you have a problem with, and your claim that people would be OK if they were all black is obviously not true because you would be offended. So why exactly are you offended that the pictures MIGHT be trying to be inclusive and accurate to reality and the fact that there is as many non-white people as there are white!?

Seems to me the only way you would be happy is if they were all white and had no "token non-white race". Why are you looking at those pictures and thinking "why is there a non-white person there? That must be a token to political correctness?". Seriously ask yourself what mix of race would make you feel it was non racists or not PC?

But more to the point WHY THE HELL are we having a race discussion in a Monkey Island thread?!!!

While I agree with what you're saying, I also think that the intent of the people who decide to include an ethnic minority in all of their pamphlets or whatever are doing so without good intent - they're doing it to defend against the potential for perceived racism. If everyone could simply accept that there isn't a black kid in every kid's circle of friends then it wouldn't be a big deal. By including ethnic minorities everywhere they're bending the truth to make it seem like they aren't as much of a "minority" as they are in real life. The fact is that (in Britain) about 90 percent of people are white. The black (i.e. Caribbean, African, etc) people presented in the aforementioned literature actually make up exactly one percent of the UK, therefore, said literature is misleading. I rest my case.

Are those from the UK or from America? They look American to me, especially the Hero one with the police uniforms. And just for clarity I am English but live in America.

And how are you deciding the intent of the artist? How can you discern the difference between an intent to be inclusive and a fear of being accused of racism? And how many cases of pamphlet creators being sued for racism are there anyway! Doubt they are that concerned, more likely they are produced y the type of people who are all into being inclusive of all people (yeah like hippies :D)

And again I ask what would make you happy? If they were all white?

I don't understand people's issue with seeing other races with white people. Even if you live in an area with 90% white people, you see the cover and think "that's not accurate, I find it offensive that they are displaying I higher ratio of non-whites than I experience in my day to day life! PC gone mad!". Really? That is offensive to anyone? Because there are things worth being offended by (like the BNP), and that is not one of them.

But again more importantly why are we so off-topic. I'm obviously as guilty of this as anyone but we should probably drop this before this topic is locked.

I regret pointing out the PC nature of safety pamphlets..... sorry LOL.

LOL, I know. You did it with such innocence too :D

But unfortunately discussions like this too often get too deep and too heated. It's an issue we still have problems with as a society. Imagine that, with a black president it's still not over :D

I actually have no problem with mixed races in media... I just find it humorous when something goes out of its way to be PC... I like it when its more natural... you are right though I have no clue the artists intent but I do not think I have ever seen a single race safety pamphlet in my life...

On the other hand I could see where its a touchy subject for some because after all we live in a time where there are channels specifically for African Americans... like BET.. But no matter the intention if someone ever started a channel called WET (White entertainment Television) I think it would raise some eyebrows don't you think? See how being too PC can be racist as well?

But that is the world, and as long as its easy to put labels on everyone to separate ourselves from the rest of the human race, it will be like that forever. It sounds corny but when I look at my wife I just see her and the term Asian doesn't even enter into my brain.. its her likes and dislikes her personality.

Are those from the UK or from America? They look American to me, especially the Hero one with the police uniforms. And just for clarity I am English but live in America.

And how are you deciding the intent of the artist? How can you discern the difference between an intent to be inclusive and a fear of being accused of racism? And how many cases of pamphlet creators being sued for racism are there anyway! Doubt they are that concerned, more likely they are produced y the type of people who are all into being inclusive of all people (yeah like hippies :D)

Well, in America it's a similar case, 75% of people are white. And I don't think it's the artist intent that I'm talking about, it's probably that of the company that commissioned the pamphlet (or it could have been the artist, who knows). But yeah, you're right that there's no guarantee that they're in fear of being declared racist, but the fact remains that they're being innacurate, no matter what the intent. I just dont think that all this racism stuff will get cleared up by people ignoring the truth, but rather accepting the truth.

And again I ask what would make you happy? If they were all white?

I don't understand people's issue with seeing other races with white people. Even if you live in an area with 90% white people, you see the cover and think "that's not accurate, I find it offensive that they are displaying I higher ratio of non-whites than I experience in my day to day life! PC gone mad!". Really? That is offensive to anyone? Because there are things worth being offended by (like the BNP), and that is not one of them.

Wait, I never said anything about being offended! I'm not offended by it in any way, I just disagree with the principal that we should pretend we're all equal. The fact is that there are a lot more white people than any other ethnicities in most of the western world, and the fact that the western world which is displayed in advertising and such doesn't reflect that makes me think that people might begin to lose sight of why toleration should play such a big role in our society. To continue with the example of black people, if kids are brought up to think there are as many black people in their country as there are white people, then white kids might not see as much of a problem in making fun of their black peers (who, on the other hand, would notice that they were a minority).

Well, in America it's a similar case, 75% of people are white. And I don't think it's the artist intent that I'm talking about, it's probably that of the company that commissioned the pamphlet (or it could have been the artist, who knows). But yeah, you're right that there's no guarantee that they're in fear of being declared racist, but the fact remains that they're being innacurate, no matter what the intent. I just dont think that all this racism stuff will get cleared up by people ignoring the truth, but rather accepting the truth.

Wait, I never said anything about being offended! I'm not offended by it in any way, I just disagree with the principal that we should pretend we're all equal. The fact is that there are a lot more white people than any other ethnicities in most of the western world, and the fact that the western world which is displayed in advertising and such doesn't reflect that makes me think that people might begin to lose sight of why toleration should play such a big role in our society. To continue with the example of black people, if kids are brought up to think there are as many black people in their country as there are white people, then white kids might not see as much of a problem in making fun of their black peers (who, on the other hand, would notice that they were a minority).

I am not offended either. It just pisses me off when there will be a tv show or somthing else and there wont be another race and people complain!!!! Look at one of the posts a couple of rows up. He said that there is a all black tv channel. Now if whites made there own all white tv channel they would go crazy. A

But there being a TV channel dedicated to black people in America can be justified by the fact that black people in America are a minority and have their own subculture and dialect, meaning that they are a reasonable demographic for a TV station to target.

If there were an American TV station just for white people, on the other hand, then it would be unfair since the majority of Americans are white, and catering to the majority without also accommodating the minorities is unreasonable.

But there being a TV channel dedicated to black people in America can be justified by the fact that black people in America are a minority and have their own subculture and dialect, meaning that they are a reasonable demographic for a TV station to target.

Precisely.

I don't understand how people can be offended by that, and I do understand why an "All White" channel would be offensive... But let's make one thing clear: BET isn't an ALL BLACK channel. It wasn't created to give black Americans the ability to watch TV without those "pesky white people" in it. It was created to allow them to watch shows that better reflect their own culture and lives.

If you, your family, friends, culture surrounding you are all black, and you turn on the TV and watch Friends or Seinfeld... what is there that talks to you about your life and your issues? The creation of BET allows shows to cater to people wanting to see more things that reflect their own lives.

The Cosby show is the only mainstream show can I think of that featured an all black cast... and I bet many of you are too young to remember it! :)

An "All White" TV channel would be created precisely because the whites behind it didn't like watching blacks on TV -- that's why it would be racist. 98% of people on major TV shows are already white! The vast majority of network TV is created by and for white people. To create a TV channel that said "we don't want that 2% on our TVs!" would be decision made out of petty hatred, not because there wasn't enough "white" programming on TV.

It's not "political correctness gone mad", it's common sense.

A "WET" TV channel in an African country, where 98% of the people on TV were black, would not be racist for the same reasons.

Anyways, this is OT, but at least I've attempted to get my point of view across.

A very civil and enjoyable conversation, guys! :thmbup1:

Dude nobdy would complain!

Archived