Home

Just when you thought video games couldn't be more dumbed down

Alkonium

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Old news, old idea.

A help system has been implemented in countless games, so it's not like it's anything new really. A good idea, perhaps, but it does negate the purpose of difficulty.

Either way, it's a help system; It's going to be optional, or else no one would play the game in the first place. Hell, it's better have and optional help system built-in, rather than have nothing at all, IMO.

Okay, since I can't seem to figure out how to word my post (numerous backspaces and such), I'll just say that, while it'll be good for the little toddlers that are attempting to learn how to play, and want to skip a certain part, this feature represents another milestone in the degradation of video game quality, if only because it offers the feature to cheat.

Then again, it might be a milestone in our culture's intelligence. :/

Yeah, old story coming true.

Either way, it's a help system; It's going to be optional, or else no one would play the game in the first place. Hell, it's better have and optional help system built-in, rather than have nothing at all, IMO.

QFT. I was never one of those players that get upset at FAQ user noobs, so I won't mind it as long as they don't force it on the player.

Aren't they already easy enough? BoS has been the only game (even though its only a mod) that I have played recently that actually made me think. People (older than 7 or 8) who use this are just sad...

You should seriously play more games. :¬:

____

Personally I prefer stealth games like Splinter Cell, that make you think just to play the game. This would completely ruin the game, just sit back and win.

What the Christ. Self playing games, Nintendo? Really?

QFT

Okay, since I can't seem to figure out how to word my post (numerous backspaces and such), I'll just say that, while it'll be good for the little toddlers that are attempting to learn how to play, and want to skip a certain part, this feature represents another milestone in the degradation of video game quality, if only because it offers the feature to cheat.

Then again, it might be a milestone in our culture's intelligence. :/

While I'm no prodigy on book smarts (more pragmatic and perhaps street)...I have to agree with you in a overall, general sense for intelligence.

I, too, wonder how long until the apparent lack of imaginative creativity is finally acted upon (by ones who could actually do something about it). Video games are facing the same crisis TV did decades ago: all the originality is dying out of them.

Then again, it's probably symptomatic of a much larger societal issue. Availability of conveniences--everything so easy and quick. It was only a matter of time before it hit video games.

I wonder to what degree this is responsible for destroying work ethic, achievement-mindedness, and destroying the the resolve of mind that sees difficulties of sorts as challenges and chances to improve oneself instead of just mundane inconvenience to be danced around.

Are you guys complaining because you're tempted to use it?

Also, if a player does use it, do you honstly think it'll get the high score for the level, get all the collectables and find all the secret areas, etc? There are certain people who just give up on certain levels on games and go to cheat and faq sites to look up exactly how a level is done. Hell, in the new Monkey Island game they're even implementing a hint feature that when accessed enough times will practically give you the answers to everything in the game.

I also like the way people are comparing this to "destroying achievement minded" play... *looks around* okay. This isn't something new with video games, we've always gotten hints in video games... some games make them more obvious than others and there are different delivery methods.

So... is everyone suddenly going to use it? I've never used hint features in games before even when they were presented to me with a simple button push. I'd turn them off or ignore them completely. This is just another one to turn off or ignore.

Ugh. Doesn't that, in a way, make the whole game nearly meaningless? It think your missing the point of a game if you don't play it.

Too tough? Here is the real solution: Keep playing it, don't act like it can't be done.

Wouldn't have changed much from how I normally play games. If I get stuck in some spot long enough for it to be more irritating than fun I just use cheats to get past it and continue with the game. :)

The point of playing games is entertainment. If you get stuck bad enough at some point in a game that you get more annoyed than entertained by playing it, then why play?

In that regard it may be a handy feature on a game console (where cheat codes usually are unavailable or limited) to get past fun-ruining moments. I doubt anyone would use autopilot for the whole game anyway; would be much cheaper to just watch a YouTube video of someone else playing the game in that case. :)

One of the best implementations of a help system was in Myst IV. Help came in three increasingly revealing levels; a "hint", a "clue", and ultimately, a "solution". This allowed the user to control the amount of help given, whereas in other games help would be either too vague or too obvious.

Either way, I have to admit I that I used the system on multiple occasions, especially on that damned DreamWorld light puzzle. :headbump

This is dumb. If anything, I like getting stuck at hard parts. The feeling of beating it after being stuck is just great. I'd rather pay £40 for a game that takes me a month to complete than to have the game play itself.

just another example of how Nintendo hates real gamers.

At first I thought, "God, why?!!?!" I'll be honest.

But I try to keep an open mind, so I thought it out. There ARE certain parts of games that are difficult, it's true. They can be divided into two categories:

1. Hard-difficult, and

2. "Tard"-difficult

The former is a challenge to complete. It requires a certain degree of skill, but can be done by most people if they work at it. At the end, a feeling of accomplishment is achieved.

The latter is a PAIN to complete. Sections of games with this moniker can be described as: tedious, buggy, cheap, mismatched, and over-all frustrating. The end result is the fun of playing the game quickly drains away, and you stop. Maybe for a bit, maybe for a long time, maybe forever.

Believe me, there've been plenty of times when I thought, "Can we just MOVE ON already???" What Nintendo is trying to do is give the escape from those suffering from "Tard" difficulty. I think they're trying to be helpful and, to some people, they will be. But others will just use the feature to get through any part of the game that is challenging in any way. That's where the "GOD WHY??!?" came in earlier.

I've played games with both kinds of difficulty, and a challenging game is really fun. However, a frustrating game is not.

(I feel a bit small, as I'm only the fifth person to post in this topic with less than 1,000 posts. I feel awed, and strangely humbled by the momentous solemnity of this occasion...)

I will be making thorough and complete use of this new help feature. I will show off to all the 4th and 5th graders in my neighborhood by completing levels in New Mario Bros. Wii, while blindfolded, in another room with a sammich in my mouth and while giving a reach around to a homeless man with a mullet dressed like Luigi. I will be the talk of the town for my extreme gaming skills.

In all seriousness, I don't see why some of you are all butt hurt about Nintendo having an extra feature in this game. Not like Nazi's are going to force you to use the help system at gunpoint. Sure I would have rather seen online co-op for this game, but I don't see the reason for rage about some help feature being implemented for the kiddies. I mean, don't you remember playing Contra on NES with your retarded cousin, and you just wanted to beat him over the head with his controller because he sucked, well imagine if he could have just turned this autoplay mode on, he'd still be alive and you wouldn't have spent all that time in juvy and anger management classes.

Side note: Cammie Dunaway should have used this feature when they were demonstrating the game, she sucked XD.

Archived