Home

Just when you thought video games couldn't be more dumbed down

Alkonium

Yes, we have the choice whether to use it or not, but what could this mean for the future of gaming, and gamers themselves? If the new generation of gamers mostly uses autoplay, they will continue to expect games to cheat for them.

A more immediate concern - what if they think they should put more of the frustratingly hard parts into games because of the auto-play feature?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, we have the choice whether to use it or not, but what could this mean for the future of gaming, and gamers themselves? If the new generation of gamers mostly uses autoplay, they will continue to expect games to cheat for them.

A more immediate concern - what if they think they should put more of the frustratingly hard parts into games because of the auto-play feature?

Gross over exaggeration much? You people are making a big deal out of nothing.

This is hilarious. I don't know why people care what Nintendo is doing. So what if they put in a feature that allows you to auto-play the game if you're stuck. It's not like Nintendo is putting a gun to your head making you use that feature. So if you get stuck, just don't use the feature and figure it out yourself. Not a big deal.

In a way, I'm actually thinking about people who have made mods for our beloved KOTOR games and then someone comes in and says, "You ruined the game". Again, same concept. Nobody is forcing you to use that mod.

Even with cheats in a game. You have the choice whether or not you want to use them. I would go as far to say that having the ability to use cheats has sold more games than not having a cheating feature in it.

:ugh:

I want to say something but it'd be the equivalent of me talking to an inanimate object... or an uninterested monkey.

Fascinating riposte.

*Remembers the time I was accosted for being condescending*

Coupled with the extra dimension (dare we say novelty?) of the motion control elements, Nintendo's greatest asset is it's 'recession beatin' price. The massive sales of the device have to date made the realisation that it is hardware limited a secondary consideration. This can not last forever.

This fact was stated quite unequivocally by Miyamoto at E3, and the next 1-2 years may see Wii sales in some countries enter a relative decline, particularly as the PS3 is rumoured to be dropping $100 USD by the end of the year. This optimism on part of MS could be seen as feint confirmation that the 360 may incorporate BluRay technology to prrlong its lifespan. Hybrid BR/HD-DVD drives do indeed exist and if MS can roll out some uopgrade plan at a decent price, millions would jump at it. Time will tell on this point - at this point it is mere fanboy specujaculation ;)

Looking at the techinical capacities of the next gen devices, 2010-11 would seem a good time for Wii to move toward their next gen platform. MS recently made a statement announcing that the 360's life cycle will last 2015, although comments by devs, including EA Senior Vice President seem to indicate otherwise ;)

As for me personally, I'm pc gamer - so the machinations of the console world are like reading the funnies in the paper, which I hold no particular financial nor emotional stock in....

Im more excited about the GT300!

.... a 40nm chip targeting clocks of 700 MHz for the core, 1600 MHz for those 512 MIMD shader cores and nice 1.1 GHz QDR, e.g. 4.4 GT/s for the GDDR5 memory... sucking same amount of power as the actual GTX285. ;)

*makes revving noises, plans robbery to pay for device upon release*

mtfbwya

:ugh:

I want to say something but it'd be the equivalent of me talking to an inanimate object... or an uninterested monkey.

Fascinating riposte.

compensating150pct.jpg

Kindly take your p*ssing match out of my SWK before I pull a leXX and put you over my knee.

your mom fears the interwebs.

That's what we moms let you all think. :devsmoke:

What does that have to do with the hint system?

Wii're not sure.

What the Christ. Self playing games, Nintendo? Really?

As if today's kids aren't an entitled, "everyone wins" generation as it is.

Agree. A useless feature, to be sure.

In all seriousness, I don't see why some of you are all butt hurt about Nintendo having an extra feature in this game.

Because maybe they could have used all the time they spent developing this "extra feature" and actually made something that isn't ****? If they made a useful feature for once, perhaps long time Nintendo fans (like myself) could actually defend them on the interwebs, instead of just :ugh: -ing whenever Nintendo is mentioned. :)

_EW_

Because maybe they could have used all the time they spent developing this "extra feature" and actually made something that isn't ****?

_EW_

To be fair I don't actually know how much time they invested in developing this feature but I can't imagine it was all that challenging. In theory the feature could be as simple as letting the user access a debugging feature already in the game. Would have I liked to see some other feature like online co-op? Of course, but I'm not gonna get upset about the inclusion of any bonus feature.

Of course, but I'm not gonna get upset about the inclusion of any bonus feature.

I'm not too upset, as I'll never in my life own a Wii, but I think that any and all time wasted by Nintendo on stupid features is a disappointment. Just because it's a bonus doesn't mean it's good.

The silly latin is lying to you again :p

_EW_

I'm not too upset, as I'll never in my life own a Wii, but I think that any and all time wasted by Nintendo on stupid features is a disappointment. Just because it's a bonus doesn't mean it's good.

The silly latin is lying to you again :p

_EW_

Just curious... which silly features are we talking other than this auto-play system they're trying out with this one game?

• 5 months later...

So now that New Super Mario Bros. Wii is finally out, we can see first hand what the Super Guide feature really is about... During my play through of the game I have not come across the feature once, so I had to do my research using YouTube videos, but here's an article I wrote about it...

http://www.twilightlynk.com/2009/11/18/super-guide-it-killed-your-family-and-kicked-your-dog/

So now that New Super Mario Bros. Wii is finally out, we can see first hand what the Super Guide feature really is about... During my play through of the game I have not come across the feature once, so I had to do my research using YouTube videos, but here's an article I wrote about it...

http://www.twilightlynk.com/2009/11/18/super-guide-it-killed-your-family-and-kicked-your-dog/

Watching that video puts me in the mood to go play Super Mario World...

Frankly, I wish that game had the Super Guide feature. I'm teeeeeerrible at Super Mario World. :lol:

Archived