Home

Should I be ashamed?

Fealiks

With all this Monkey Island news, I'm in a Piratey mood (which I'm usually in anyway because of my awesome pirate hair), so I'm going to watch all of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, each of which I have on 2-disc special edition DVDs. They're good movies, and if Monkey Island had to be ripped off, I'm glad it was done so so well.

Oh, and also I just noticed some concept art in the inside cover of the first DVD, showing skeletal versions of the tall/skinny (guy from the office with the wood eye) and short/fat pirates, making it painfully obvious that they were stolen from the CMI cutscene where the two pirates find LeChucks boots afloatin' in the sea. Even down to the clothes they're wearing.

Actually, I hope I can enjoy these movies properly without constantly noticing little stolen things... oh well.

Anyway, flame away.

I believe in the pirate code. I can believe in cursed gold. I can believe in undead evil monkeys. I can believe in Davy Jones. I can believe in the Kraken…I can’t believe Jack sparrow could fall off a cliff and be ok and nor can I believe the water wheel of death fight scene. I felt the first movie set the tone and the second did not follow at all. The third brought it back a little, which is why I have the 1st and the 3rd, but the 2nd was neither worth my money nor worth pirating in any sense!

The only quip I have with the last two PotC movies is that the plot (and it was a single plot) was extremely convoluted and flew over my head by the time the second act started in PotC 3. Everybody's running their agenda, cutting deals, searching for something, controlling someone, it's crazy, put some order somewhere.

But still, I enjoyed all three films very much.

I think that the first was the weakest one. Orlando Bloom's acting was terrible and it was overall too "clean" looking for a pirate film (although it was still good).

I understand what you said about the plot being convoluted, Sabretooth, but if you watch them one after the other, the story's really good.

I think that the first was the weakest one. Orlando Bloom's acting was terrible and it was overall too "clean" looking for a pirate film (although it was still good).

I understand what you said about the plot being convoluted, Sabretooth, but if you watch them one after the other, the story's really good.

I agree, the first one actually feels lacking somewhere, I get that feeling too.

And I'm not really complaining about the plot, I enjoyed it a lot, it's the most definitive pirate story I've seen, I guess it wasn't translated to the screen properly or something, it just got very difficult to keep track of things by the middle of both films.

It's a good trilogy.

The first one was definatly the best one of the three.

In the second, Davey Jones was a really interesting character, in the third, he wasn't (repeating lines and not remotely scary anymore)

The third movie is also not really true to Disney endings.

The first one was easily the best, the others had their moments. (A lot like the Matrix trilogy in that respect.)

The Matrix trilogy was different, there should never have been any sequels. Everything that there was to be said and done was over in the first movie. The way the sequels were made was as if they hadn't even seen the first movie, which was metaphorical and deep and stuff and things... To make the sequels as they did was like only reading the literal imagery of a poem.

I still can't believe people think that the second two movies were that bad! I think that the second one was probably the best (better than the first, anyway).

I just saw the third Pirates of the Carribean movie, and I didn't like it that much (ok to see if you got nothing else to do). I thought it was much worse than the first one, and just as silly as the second one.

Archived