Home

Why so many Humans?!

Trench

I've played many Star Wars games and read plenty of Star Wars books and I have to ask: Why are there so many Humans?

Its a galaxy full of many different species and most if not all "star" characters or "main characters" are human. It seems a little racist on the part of LucasArts doesn't it?

And why are most of the species based on the appearance of Humans? They could have at least done something other than calling them "Humanoid" and "Near-Human".

Maybe they could have had different classes (other than the ones I just mentioned) for the body types of the many species.

I think it would have been more realistic if they had filled the galaxy with less Humans and "Near-Humans", and more of the alternative.

And don't even mention the canonical argument that Humans were the fastest to colonize, and humans were the most common species in the galaxy, and Humans were found on more planets. That's just a cheap excuse LucasArts came up with to avoid the subject.

Nothing against LucasArts, but they should have done better.

Edit-- Please ignore the flaming remarks of the Emperor Devon and Sabretooth. Provoking them will only make it worse...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd say it's more of a Star Wars canon thing in general rather than LucasArts, I've seen the human bias in comics, books, even the movies. I'd imagine it's just to freak people out less, the species in Star Wars can be pretty weird to look at (except the Zeltrons, god bless the Zeltrons).

It's a lot more expensive to make creature/alien costumes and make them realistic, or at least it was before CGI. It took 3 guys to run Jabba the Hutt, for instance. We also tend to relate better to humans.

Either that, or humans in the SW universe are fertile little bunnies.

except the Zeltrons, god bless the Zeltrons

:rofl:

Either that, or humans in the SW universe are fertile little bunnies

Okay... Odd.

I don't mind it so much in the movies (at least the ones before CGI), but they could have done a lot better in the EU. You Humans are annoying enough in real life... I mean... Uh... *Mind Trick* Move along!

As Jae notes, probably has something to do with us being people and not some other race. Making it easier to identify...at least in theory...with the protagonists. And even in the case of the sith, the antagonists. Had to check out what a zeltron even was. Good call, Sabre. :thmbup1:

Either that, or humans in the SW universe are fertile little bunnies.

They are in this universe, too. :xp:

Talking about the expense factor, seems a bit odd if just concerning the EU, since a majority of that is simply comic books and novels. The games mainly do the same thing as the movies do, have humans at the forefront of the story. But for games, you don't need to spend money on either make-up or prosthetics for an actor, only to model the creature and give it a voice(which for some types of creatures may be rather taxing and complicated, but still do-able).

But as to the relation aspect, it is of coruse easier to relate to a character that is human, than it would be to relate to a Twi'lek, for instance. But then, depending on the story of the character, it is possible to relate to them. Part of a story has say a Twi'lek, Zeltron, or Chiss on a prejudiced human world? Easy to relate to if you understand how prejudice works, or have experienced it(which is unfortunate).

Im just wishing that if they don't use the alien characters in the movies, then they should at least include some as the main characters of games. Sure ones like KOTOR have the aliens in the game, but not as main characters without mods. JK:JA is one of the few games where it is possible for the player to have an alien character appearance or avatar by default. And in a way, that would be all im asking for. Well, that and to make some of these characters have canon appearances that aren't limited to male humans.

In some cases it might not be too difficult to voice some aliens. (I'm not bragging when I say this) I can mimic numerous voices and sound effects without the assistance of a computer program. There are many people who have skills similar to mine and who's skills far exceed mine. Just have a casting call for people like "us":xp: and boom, you've got a nicely voiced alien.

Well, if you guys are as good as you say, maybe you should mod some alien voice files to add some variety to the alien voices used in game. Kinda got a bit tiresome to hear the same sounds in different pitches to cover different dialogue just b/c it was economical for the developer's bottom line.

I think I'll do that. I have one problem, I don't know anything about editing the sound files for either game. If I were to record the sound file, could someone convert it to a format usable by the game, then place it in the game?

I can start recording tomorrow.

I think I'll add to the alien voice angle as well. I know tons of people who don't watch foreign movies if they aren't dub, because they have a problem with reading subtitles and watching the movie at the same time.

I'm guessing it would be especially annoying for them if the subtitles are to an alien language that doesn't even actually exist. This is why we can't have nice things and have to settle for American-accented Basic-speaking Rodians and Kel-Dors in Jedi Knight: Academy.

Well I don't really think I could properly explain why humans would be so populous in the starwars galaxy, nor why the humanoid body structure is so common in other starwars races; but the star trek galaxy had a plausible explanation for it in this episode...

Perhaps something similar happened in starwars?

:eek::eekanime::migraine::eyepop: :cry6:

How could you submit us to such horror Shem? I can't get the image of them "getting it on" out my my head!

But seriously, I'll start recording the audio files later and if anybody wants them, PM me your e-mail and a brief description of what your plans are.

Hutts were hermaphroditic, and as a result, gender was more of a case of a Hutt's deliberate decision or a viewer's deduction. Often, Hutts carrying children were referred to as female, though it was entirely up to the Hutt in question as to if the distinction was accepted or not.
And this:

QueenJool.jpg

Have a nice day. :)

Archived