Home

Facebook SOMI:SE Q&A

This bodes really well for more Special Editions. They'll also be a lot cheaper to make as soon as they hit the ones that are already fully voiced.

I wonder if LucasArts kept the original sound recordings of the dialogue sessions? If so they could go back and release the talkie games without so much compression.

They must have no end of concept art, unused sprites, incomplete scenes, etc. I doubt anyone at LucasArts was thinking "Man, we need to get this out to the fans!" — seems perfectly possible to me they still have ol' Spiffy lying around somewhere. :D

Boy would I love to get into that vault, though. Clearly they do have a vault, based on the Rogue Leaders book.

This bodes really well for more Special Editions. They'll also be a lot cheaper to make as soon as they hit the ones that are already fully voiced.

I doubt they'll go backwards in time from MI1 (Zak, Maniac Mansion). Though Last Crusade is possible I guess. So other than MI2, everything else ripe for a spec:ed is already voiced.

I know the chances are slim for Zak and Mansion. Especially that alot of people seem to despise Zak around here outside the Europe market but I really hope they do. I've been wanting a "special edition of Zak McKracken" since I was 10. It had such a neat premise and really cool ideas and I think it was short-changed because it was an early adventure game and did not have any dialogue or look at commands. Also the fact that you can die and be eternally stuck is a bit of a turn off but it really is a great game and just thinking about what they could with a special edition just makes me smile.

I've heard that the LucasArts vault is strictly off limits. It will only be accessible after the nuclear holocaust when the world starts to run out of entertainment.

Isn't it about time to open it up when we have the Jonas Brothers and Hannah Montana...?

Interesting to hear about Earl Boen's enthusiasm for the project. I hope that enthusiasm translates into him getting himself on a plane and flying over to Telltale for some last-minute recordings.

That would be awesome. If LEC ends up making an MI2 special edition, Boen's voice will retroactively become even more indispensable to the series. The Tingler also pointed me to a video of the SE which reveals that the woman who did the Voodoo Lady in CMI and EMI was nabbed by LEC as well, when judging from the Telltale trailer she is not back for Tales.

It's so amazing, based on these interviews and well as one Mojo will soon post with the Special Edition's composer, that the people who remain at LEC actually really care about the old games and are passionate about revitalizing them. I don't know if this is all the result of certain employees incessantly begging over the years, or due to the fact that LEC finally got a president who isn't totally adverse to this kind of thing, but this MI:SE is definitely a hopeful sign.

I wonder if LucasArts just have more money to spend than Telltale? And by not 'helping' Telltale to pay for people like Boen, it's their (weird) way of reminding people like us that they are the only people who can make real Monkey Island games?

Jesus I'm paranoid.

That would be awesome. If LEC ends up making an MI2 special edition, Boen's voice will retroactively become even more indispensable to the series. The Tingler also pointed me to a video of the SE which reveals that the woman who did the Voodoo Lady in CMI and EMI was nabbed by LEC as well, when judging from the Telltale trailer she is not back for Tales.

I think it's just a matter of time. Earl Boen is apparently retired... Doing a one-off game is a lot different than doing an on-going series. Boen might just not be interested in going back to that much work.

As for the Voodoo Lady: the trailer was made before all the voice actors had been secured, I believe.

Archived