Home

Neverwinter Nights MMO?

Miltiades

Sources tell us that the developer is working on a massively multiplayer online (MMO) version of “Neverwinter Nights” with an eyed 2011 release.Neverwinternights-logo

Details about the project are unavailable, naturally, as it is an unannounced title. But this reportedly was the primary reason Atari was interested in acquiring Cryptic late last year. (The developer is currently working on “Champions Online” and “Star Trek Online”.)

Source:Variety

Thoughts?

It all depends on who will develop it. BioWare is probably out of the question, since they're already developing TOR and two other games. Same thing goes for Obsidian, though I'm curious on what Avellone's take on an MMO would be.

Either way, if there is going to be another DnD MMO, I'd base it in an unfamiliar setting, instead of the redundant Forgotten Realms. Planescape or Al-Qadim comes to mind, :)

I'd base it in an unfamiliar setting, instead of the redundant Forgotten Realms. Planescape or Al-Qadim comes to mind, :)

al-qadim is in the forgotten realms

seriously, play a d&d game or spend longer than 5 minutes reading wikipedia articles on its settings before bashing or praising them

I can't see a Neverwinter Nights game going outside Forgotten Realms.

As for it being an MMO, I think it makes sense why they'd want to do it, though I'd much rather have an Obsidian-developed Neverwinter Nights 3.

It's already an MMO of sorts (although more Moderately than Massively). Besides, I wouldn't have thought there would be space for two D&D MMOs in an already bloated market (DDO being the other). Anything is possible I guess, but I can't see the licence ever being successful in WOW's playpen. Ultimately though it wouldn't surprise me. The lure of making the sort of cash that WOW does has proved too tempting for many devs (Bioware amongst them).

Archived