Home

Fixing the Special Edition poster :)

parabolee

As I have stated elsewhere I have no problem with Guybrush's new hair, I know many do. However I hate how he looks on the new poster/cover.

Gone is his fearful look of amazement, and now he has this stupid goofy grin and his hair is ten feet tall! Don't mind the hair on the sprite or the closeups, in fact I think it is amusing. He looks like a very lovable dork to me. However I think the hair and face on the poster is hideous! So I went about fixing it.

And viola, here is how I think the cover should look, keeping his hair in the same style at the SE sprite and closeups but fixing it to not look stupid and putting his face the way it was on the original poster -

My-MI-Poster.jpg

Original version

Orig-MI-Poster.jpg

Original SE version

Their-MI-Poster.jpg

EDIT :-

I just created a high definition version of this poster so I can display it and show my love for the SE of Monkey Island (sans hideous surfer moron Guybrush).

Thought I would share it here for anyone that wanted it. Working on a wallpaper now too.

Download Link

Preview -

Monkey-Island-SE-Poster-LSEdition-800v2.jpg

EDIT: Link to wallpaper -

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=198410

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well there are a whole host of reasons, the first being that the stupid smirk on his face does not suite his character at all.

I would also say for me that when I first saw this poster in an Amiga magazine, it was Guybrush's face along with the name that attracted me to the game in the first place. For me Guybrush was staring straight into the secret of Monkey island and was both amazed and afraid. And it made me want to discover the secret for myself.

Jeez...it's just a cover for a game that I don't think will ever have a retail store debut anyway...I mean...I understand your complaints but I think people need to realize that it's not that big of a deal...

It's the same kind of argument when the Star Wars: SE came out...I understand that people didn't want the changes on some feeling of nostalgia...but when we look at it now...the movies didn't really lose their magic because of it and it's the same thing here...

I consider what I'm getting out of this (a classic LA adventure) rather than what's "wrong" with it...

Jeez...it's just a cover for a game that I don't think will ever have a retail store debut anyway...I mean...I understand your complaints but I think people need to realize that it's not that big of a deal...

Who said it was a big deal? And who suggested they were not incredibly happy about the new SE version? Nobody here.

We're just having some fun nitpicking at it. I hate the look of Guybrush on the poster but it doesn't change how I feel about the game.

So either I play around making it look like I want and talk BS with other MI lovers or sit on my hands waiting for the game to come out.

Don't be so defensive, we can nit pick if we want. I think my poster is way better and when they release a wallpaper version, I'm changing it to look like mine. Because as much as I am in-love with the SE, I can't look at the stupid smug grin.

Why is it important for Guybrush to have exactly the same expression as on the old poster?

It's got nothing to do with him having the same expression... it just looks a lot better. As parabolee points out, his expression does a great job of drawing you into the picture. I actually want to find out what's going on when I look at it. I also just happened to show it to my girlfriend, who isn't interested in Monkey Island in any way, and she echoed parabolee's comments without any prompting. It just simply looks more interesting.

It may have been inspired by Purcell's original artistic choices, but it's not better simply because it's similar to the original. (What type of mindless type of mindless sheep do you take us for?)

Who said it was a big deal? And who suggested they were not incredibly happy about the new SE version? Nobody here.

We're just having some fun nitpicking at it. I hate the look of Guybrush on the poster but it doesn't change how I feel about the game.

So either I play around making it look like I want and talk BS with other MI lovers or sit on my hands waiting for the game to come out.

Don't be so defensive, we can nit pick if we want. I think my poster is way better and when they release a wallpaper version, I'm changing it to look like mine. Because as much as I am in-love with the SE, I can't look at the stupid smug grin.

I understand that...but if you look at the 15 other threads that nitpick and complain about his look you might start to get the feeling that there's something seriously wrong with the game in the first place.

I understand that...but if you look at the 15 other threads that nitpick and complain about his look you might start to get the feeling that there's something seriously wrong with the game in the first place.

You mean the two other threads? :)

You shouldn't be so defensive. I HATE the new look of Guybrush... but DAMN if I can't wait to play this new version! :thmbup1:

Yeah, I guess I should add that I'm also definitely buying and playing through the special edition in the future. It really just bugs me that they are so close to making nearly everyone happy since the two universal complaints, besides the poster expression, seems to be 1) Guybrush's sprite is ugly and 2) Guybrush's hair is ugly. Just seems they failed to test that out with people's impressions first.

But that's not the biggest deal really. All of the other characters look great to me. Elaine looks fine. LeChuck looks really cool. The Sword Trainer is awesome. Just weird they would mess up Guybrush, the most important character. It's like they wanted to make a Guybrush so different and memorable from the rest that they got something that really wasn't suitable. The backgrounds and such may be a little stiff, but eh, so were some of the originals.

Either way, the game is well worth it, especially since it will be coming out as a budget title.

I just wish they'd hurry up and release it! I have a horrible fear that some idiot in LucasArts is holding back the SE until Tales of MI is released, in order "capitalize" on whatever publicity it gets.

Releasing the SE now would be perfect -- everyone is talking about Monkey Island and excited about it again. Lots of people would be happy to play it in order to "prepare" for the bigger/more time-consuming adventure that's coming... It will also be a great way for NEW players to see what the fuss is about (I'm sure a lot of people will feel they NEED to play to the original before embarking on a new sequel-series). The budget release of SOMI:SE now would allow them to do just that.

As soon as Tales gets released, however, it will change the current excitable feeling surrounding MI. All discussions will be focussed on how Tales measures up to the original series... Releasing the SE at this point would just saturate the market with MI, probably get lost in all the critical debate, and just plain confuse newcomers.

The SE is probably going to cost somewhere between $15 and $20 (I would assume the latter, considering it took 8 months to make), so newcomers are going to be faced with a confusing option: Get the latest, brand new, 5-episode series of MI for $35 or pay $20 for a remake of the 1990 original... How many people looking to try out Monkey Island are going to say "both"?

They're essentially shutting off all sales from new MI players... It's nuts.

They should strike NOW while the iron is hot and get it out!

I just wish they'd hurry up and release it! I have a horrible fear that some idiot in LucasArts is holding back the SE until Tales of MI is released, in order "capitalize" on whatever publicity it gets.

Why do I get this sinking feeling that what you said there is exactly the reason why we have yet to get a release date for SMI:SE.

Archived