Home

Any idea if there will be a free (limited) version?

ThatEvilDude

I think the way things are shaping up I would be very surprised if there is any free-to-play option when TOR goes to public release. Usually publishers only provide free trial periods to try and attract new subscribers to their game. So if TOR has a lot of interest, as expected, then there really wouldn't be much motivation for BioWare/EA/LucasArts to offer free trial subscriptions and such.

That would just be silly and lame. Would seem like some desperate move in the context of MMO games.

I really don't see why they would run this game differently than other MMORPGs. It works well, and it has been proven again and again that it is reasonable to demand a monthly fee for a game constantly being developed on. Of course some gamers might have a problem with that, but that is often rooted in some conservative view on the whole game-concept, and it doesn't really influence the development of the game since the willing customers are out there, paying up.

I really think people should start realizing that this will undoubtedly become an MMORPG like any of the other big titles, where a monthly fee is part of the overall concept. I'm personally not ever going to deceive myself and start some forsaken hope of the game being free. In fact, I'd probably prefer paying a monthly fee. Then I'd at least have some assurance that the game isn't going down the drain the week after due to financial problems.

No.

Maybe a 10-day free trial, but I wouldn't expect to see that right away.

They may do what AoC did and give coupons to people who pre-ordered/bought collector's editions so they could give their friends a trial period.

Archived