Home

FOA in Indy and Staff of Kings

Benny

This probably isnt worth starting a new thread about but:

I've just been sent the Fate of Atlantis files from the Wii version of Indy and the Staff of Kings. I'm not quite sure why they were sent to me but anyway:

I've done a comparison of the resource files with the original version and they are exactly the same, so LEC really does have classic SCUMM up and running on the Wii.

I've also done a quick scan for strings in the binary and it reveals that its SCUMM version 5.2.28cd (Apr 9 2009 12:57:04) - this is slightly unexpected as 5.2.28cd was the version used in MI2, FOA used 5.5.00. They must have branched from the older version - this suggests that this is also version that the upcoming MI:SE is branched from.

I've also done a quick scan for strings in the binary and it reveals that its SCUMM version 5.2.28cd (Apr 9 2009 12:57:04) - this is slightly unexpected as 5.2.28cd was the version used in MI2, FOA used 5.5.00. They must have branched from the older version - this suggests that this is also version that the upcoming MI:SE is branched from.
Hmm... that is quite interesting. It's strange they used the MI2 interpreter for sure. Though, I'm not sure of any internal differences. After all, MI2/FOA are supposedly the two closest revisions. However, looking at this, the 5.2.28cd interpreter was released much later than the FOA interpreter (5.2.28cd being 1996, 5.5.00 being 1993).

As for MI:SE, the "original" version would probably use that interpreter. As for the "special edition" part, it would almost definitely not use the same interpreter. For various reasons, especially with color depth and screen size. And the interface too.

Well spotted, you are both right, that interpreter was newer and from the cd re-release, despite the version number:

MI1 1996 CD 5.3.06cd (Sep 06 1996 17:49:04)

MI2 1996 CD 5.2.28cd (Sep 06 1996 17:32:24)

FOA 1992 CD 5.5.00 (May 05 1993 18:15:17)

Archived