Home

Message for ATM

Sorry, I don't know where else to put this, but it IS Monkey Island related...

On ATM's site it says:

According to Dave Grossman, the Giant Monkey Robot was an idea originally conceived for The Secret of Monkey Island. LeChuck's ship was supposed to transform into a giant robot at the end of the game. Then the Monkey Head would have become the Giant Monkey Robot, under Guybrush's control, and there would have been a battle.

So the bizarre ending of EMI is not entirely Sean and Mike's fault.

Link: http://home.comcast.net/~ervind/monkhead.html

Dave Grossman has just responded to a fan asking if what ATM's site said is true:

I do remember tossing around a giant monkey robot idea. But then, we tossed around a lot of ideas that we didn't ultimately use. One day we thought it would be the greatest and funniest thing ever to have a ship crewed by chimpanzees. "Crew of chimps," we kept saying all day, laughing every time. The next day we thought better of it and abandoned the idea.

Similarly, I don't think the monkey robot lasted long once we really started thinking about it, and I'm glad it didn't. It wouldn't have been a very satisfying ending to that particular tale, which is otherwise carried out on a much more personal level. No, I think Guybrush and LeChuck had to go hand-to-hand at the end, that's just the kind of story it was.

Link: http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=134453&postcount=658 (Pre-orders only forum.)

I saw that, actually. The information on my site came from an interview Grossman did with Legend of MI years and years ago. At the time he mentioned that there may even have been some game art produced along these lines before the idea was junked.

Also, the "crew of chimps" example of unused ideas? That made it into the game, at least in the form of Herman Toothrot's story.

Even if it was an idea for SOMI it was an unused idea and could've been left like that. Especially because the monkey head (well, the entire island) has managed to become iconic since the first game's release, so the robot might have raped a few people's childhoods. The general idea of an unexpected giant robot wasn't bad though, just that it has become a cliche already (Spaceballs, Neverhood, Dexter's Laboratory and other cartoons).

Anyway, the way pirates succumbed to Ozzie Mandrill and Herman Toothrot's secret identity were the real down points of EMI to me (together with the writing and Guybrush, Elaine, LeChuck, Carla, Otis characterizations).

Intersting.

@Acovel

I think the best part of MI 4 are the first part of Melee Island and Lucre Island. And Stan was a disappointment!

@ThunderPeel2001

I think you must edit your signature a little bit. ;) The red thing you know?

Archived