Home

Meatgrinder Returns! (High Speed JA DS, up 24/7!)

Kurgan

Yep, folks, I finally broke down and rented a server. So, after eons of downtime, and my recent attempts at hosting sporadically off my home PC, I've thrown in for a decent server from EscapedTurkey for the summer.

Now I repeat, this is ONLY for the summer. I probably won't have the cash to spare or time to monitor it after this, so enjoy it while you can!

I'm currently uploading files and tweaking settings, so if you try it now, it may be buggy, but bear with me! I hope to have it smoothed out and running well by this weekend.

However, if you're curious and want to try it out, please go here:

http://strategy.jediknight.net/jka/server_status.shtml

The trackers should be updated, and I will restart it once a day to make sure things are working properly. Please shoot me an email or PM if things are not looking right.

The rotation should be two rounds of siege (six matches), followed by a run through of the JA basic maps, then the JA Bonus map pack, then I CTF (then the CTF bonus map). There's a "mayhem" map thrown in there every once in awhile too (a Duel map set to FFA, meaning it's basically a mosh pit!).

Dismemberment is enabled, and tons of Star Wars skins are supported... I will also try to get some Siege Destroyer/Asteroids Mod setup for later this summer (if they'll allow it).

Here's the IP:

208.43.15.76:29070

Excellent.

Also, the following skinpack is supported, as are (note, not created by me, but slightly tweaked to work on the server).

Of course if you have any of the skins in the above packs that you've gotten separately, you may wish to back them up before installing, since these will overwrite them. They have had the single player stuff striped out, and the sounds toyed with to work in JA where possible (to avoid errors).

Adding the following as well:

Amidala's Jedi human female expansion.

a Jedi human male expansion.

JA automatically logs the chat, I just used a program called "QuakeChat" to isolate the conversations. It helps me gauge how the server is going and how to improve it in the future.

So if you're playing and something is bugging you, feel free to "shout it to the heavens" and I'll pick up on it later. Be constructive though... ;)

You know it!

well, those bots were stupid. they were laming me while i was chatting. :o

but one of them yelled "LAG!", which seemed a rather humanly thing to do...

I have a sneaking suspicion that RazorAce programmed them to zero in on chatting players... that little word balloon may send them into a rage.

Or so it seems. ;)

So you've gotta be quick... or be dead.

Okay I realized I had forgotten to disable the "automapcycle" cvar. It should cycle the maps properly now (no more "Siege Destroyer" or other custom maps beyond the Bonus pack until we get those circulated properly).

Only thing I'm not sure about now is whether it will really properly restart each morning, so I may need to do that manually until then. So apologies for any downtime in the AM...

Sorry, but the answer is "not really", since I work 9-5 CST during the week.

You just have to keep checking I guess, since I don't know how to get precise statistics on when people come. Back in the day weekends were big (especially during the summer), but this past weekend it seemed unpredictable.

Why don't you just get some people together and go there? I think mainly it's harder to get people because the "honorz" community has dominated JA for so long. Seriously, if you check the servers list, sure you've got MovieBattles II but the rest is JA+ with sabers only/low force or the rare siege/ctf game is usually a clans only/passworded game.

So you guys can help me (and yourselves) by doing a little word-of-mouth advertising. ;)

Found and corrected another map cycle bug. Go ahead and stress test it, it should hold up all day... (and restart at 4am CST).

There should also be an automatic warning before the server goes down (then back up in 10-12 minutes).

Map Cycle is as follows:

Begins with a "Mayhem" map (short match, Duel map in FFA mode, meaning a SABER PARTY). This utter chaos should get the juices flowing... and one of these will follow each "set."

Next the three Siege maps.

Break for Mayhem, another round of the three siege maps.

Mayhem.

Then the five FFA maps, and the four "Bonus Pack" FFA maps.

Mayhem.

Then the five CTF maps, and the one "Bonus Pack" CTF map.

TEAM FFA (one map).

Four Mayhem rounds, then it restarts.

Note: I'm only currently running the official Raven maps that came with the game and the JA Bonus Pack maps. So more people be able to join.

PS: As of right this second, the cycle is on CTF2.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with you, but playing with the bots on that server for a while makes it more likely that someone else will see that the server has a human and join.

But you're right, pick an hour and I'll try to be on at that time.

Why don't you allow voting?

Also maybe lower the number of CTF maps in the lineup.

Cause I don't want people to screw up my sweet cycle?

Well I thought I enabled next map voting, and you can kick teammates that are annoying you, but otherwise I find voting just lends itself to abuse usually (or people change everything and then just leave).

If it's screwing up though I'd like to know!

Archived