Home

kotor 3 - the dream is dead

There's always hope...if that wikia article is accurate, since as we all know wikis can be suspect sources at times, then perhaps if future lucasarts success would lead to the option being put back on the table since it sounds like from that quote the development process was fairly far along.

KotOR III is dead. Yeah, I know, it's hard to come to terms with it, but the KotOR franchise has been done away with. Some say that TOR is a continuation of the series, but honestly, it's so radically different that I'm considering it to be beyond a spin-off and an entirely new sub-franchise.

To be honest, there's no likelihood of there being a KotOR III in development again. It would've been great if LucasArts contracted a single-player K3 to Obsidian and TOR to BioWare in tandem, as everyone would've been pleased if it went that route, but LA decided to take a risk appeal to both Galaxies and KotOR fans with this, inadvertently alienating a good section of the fanbase.

Either way, it's time to move on, guys.

I have already accepted what is to happen, but that doesn't mean that anything really has happened. I am writing my own KOTOR III fictions and whether or not its canocal or not is irrelevant to me. It's all just fiction and none of it really matters if it's official or not in that Star Wars universe. I don't acknowledge TOR just as people don't acknowledge Star Wars or Star Trek or Battlestar Galactica.

I'm just not going to give Lucas arts anything in regards to TOR and that will show them my discontent. If everyone else did that, then it would show that they won't get a profit from a game fans don't want. If they do, then that's too bad for me.

read it and weep - i have

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/KOTOR_3

:eek::¬::mad:

everyone and their grandmas know this.

Bold plan Darth_Yuthura' date=' but even if everyone on LucasForums participated there would be enough people elsewhere playing it to provide LucasArts with a decent profit.[/quote']

Such as all those people on the TOR forums who think that it will be as great as sliced bread, and will be the closest thing we'll get to Jesus Christ rising from the dead a second time.

I'm just not going to give Lucas arts anything in regards to TOR and that will show them my discontent. If everyone else did that, then it would show that they won't get a profit from a game fans don't want.
I was anti TOR at first, but frankly it looks like it could turn out to be a great game, even for us SP heads...

Right now it looks like they may get my money...

Either way, it's time to move on, guys.

If we wanted to move on, we wouldn't be here :xp:

But honestly, that Kotor 3 is dead; it's been dead since 2005, when Gamespot first reported that Lucasarts cut the team. They probably wouldn't have done it any justice anyway. However, Obsidian, even with TOR coming, still wants to take it and make it worth something.

Just because it didn't work out one way doesn't mean it won't ever. At this point, I'd love to see Kotor III, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it. It's a fun thing to hope and dream about and, perhaps, one day have fun with on a summer night, like Kotor II & II.

Yeah, fairly old news though that female character Naresha just seems a little fishy to as well...she just doesn't look right somehow. :indif: Cancellation really does not mean there will never be a KOTOR 3, especially if TOR does not go as well as expected. I mean I'm not getting my hopes up or losing any sleep over it but I think there is still a decent chance of a K3. The article mentioned that it was cancelled due to "a difficult period in the company's history" - no idea what they mean but it seems as if cancellation was due more to internal issues that at a later point could be resolved...that and Obsidian still wants to make it after all these years...who knows, maybe they'll have their way someday.

I myself will not give any of my money to TOR. Everybody here knows the arguement and I won't bother repeating it as that is not the point of this thread. :)

~HOP

There's always hope...if that wikia article is accurate, since as we all know wikis can be suspect sources at times, then perhaps if future lucasarts success would lead to the option being put back on the table since it sounds like from that quote the development process was fairly far along.

Successes...or failures. :(

It is my opinion that LA is more motivated by $$$, sadly. (How cynical, I know. :devsmoke:) Scrapping dark forces, shadows of the empire, andTSL to the extent that SW:TOR is concerned. If you look at these with a critical eye geared towards scarcity and popularity trends geared towards making the most $$$, you will also notice about them that these particular scrapped titles had the less popular trends.

Face it, SW will be remembered more for lightsabers and Jedi vs Sith. That's why titles of late (and likely to come) are increasingly saturated with this. Shame too. Until PX started the Dark Forces thread (practically retro by now), I didn't think anyone else here even *cared* about it besides me.

It sounds a little odd. The concept art of the character looks questionable as well!

Let us have a look shall we?

Naresha.jpg

Well, we'd need verification who made it and whether or not that individual was working on K3 at the time.

The reason concept art looks a bit off is that, well, it *is* a concept--not a finished product. ;) However, I agree we ought to at least be skeptical of this and scrutinize it until proof positive (one way or another) is shown.

Hmmm... That Star Wars wiki article lists Rogue Leaders: The Story of LucasArts as a source. I'm now kicking myself for not having picked up that book already.

In 1982, George Lucas saw potential in the fledgling videogame industry and created his own interactive-entertainment company. Twenty-five years and dozens of award-winning games later, LucasArts has earned a prestigious place in the industry and in the hearts of gamers everywhere. Rogue Leaders is the first substantive survey of a videogame company — a deluxe compilation that traces its history through never-before-published interviews. In addition, more than 300 pieces of concept art, character development sketches, and storyboards have been lavishly reproduced to showcase the creative talent behind such videogame classics as The Secret of Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, as well as games that were never publicly released. A thrill for millions of videogame and LucasArts fans around the world.

Merely makes mention of KOTOR1...does anyone have anything from the book itself? I'd be interested to see what exactly the K3 article is referring to.

(Recalls the months to years of wiki people trying to disprove anyone using the Juyo form besides KOTOR2 characters.)

<snip> However, Obsidian, even with TOR coming, still wants to take it and make it worth something.

Just because it didn't work out one way doesn't mean it won't ever. At this point, I'd love to see Kotor III, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it. It's a fun thing to hope and dream about and, perhaps, one day have fun with on a summer night, like Kotor II & II.

GameBanshee's Buck Birnbaum recently interviewed Obsidian Entertainment CEO Feargus Urquhart and posed the following question:

"With BioWare's Star Wars: The Old Republic MMORPG on the horizon, do you personally think there will ever be a "true" Star Wars: KotOR III? Why or why not?"

To which Mr Urquhart replied: "I don't really know. A part of me hopes that there will be, because I think we can do things in the more single player story based RPGs that you just can't do in an MMORPG. Like I said, I really hope that there is one, with BioWare busy on the MMO; I hope LucasArts gives us a shot at making KotOR III."

You know...like I said $$$ talks. Tenacity and persistence pays off more than most people realize--even more than talent. Why do you think jerks are in charge of companies and end up with the opportunity at the exploit of the truly talented?

Depending on how TOR goes, say 1 year after its initial unveiling, LA will make decisions at that point where to go next, as the MMO begins to show signs of waning. At 2-5 years, expect action to have bern thought upon and perhaps begun to be acted upon. I know it's cynical of me, and I wish it weren't so. But, what I have seen thus far points in this direction. I suppose if we made a lot of noise and rallied enough people behind it (AT THE RIGHT MOMENT), that might catch attention. If it were to appear to be profitable, maybe then.

<snip>...she just doesn't look right somehow. :indif:
How so? Care to elaborate?

Cancellation really does not mean there will never be a KOTOR 3, especially if TOR does not go as well as expected. I mean I'm not getting my hopes up or losing any sleep over it but I think there is still a decent chance of a K3. The article mentioned that it was cancelled due to "a difficult period in the company's history" - no idea what they mean but it seems as if cancellation was due more to internal issues that at a later point could be resolved...that and Obsidian still wants to make it after all these years...who knows, maybe they'll have their way someday.
Pretty much sums up my thoughts. (Would sum it up more if you put emphasis in that on LA believing they stand to make some kind of profit. :dozey:)

I myself will not give any of my money to TOR. Everybody here knows the arguement and I won't bother repeating it as that is not the point of this thread. :)

It'll be interesting to see years down the road who is right about this. And how right they were.

I'm going to cling to a faint hope.

KotOR was a freaking cash cow! They couldve milked much more from it with a K3. But they're going to make much more money with TOR than K3 couldve ever provided.

K3 would have summoned instant moolah from KotOR fans. TOR, being presented as a K3, is going to draw in a lot of them (not all, but a lot). It being an MMO is going to draw in Galaxies fans. It looking just like the prequels is going to draw in casual players.

The combined numbers will easily dwarf the small amount of KotOR fans they lost for making TOR.

Perhaps with all that money, they'll consider making a K3 down the track.

^And that is the small hope I'll clinging on to.

Archived