Home

Sam & Max Save the world (Season1) Opinions wanted

parabolee

Now I know this is probably sacrilege, and I apologise :-D

But although I am a HUGE Lucasarts adventure fan, and have played and finished all of them (other than this and despite many attempts to play) Sam & Max Hit the Road, I just could not get into it. I love Steve Purcell and I loved the humour, but found the puzzles too nonsensical and frustrating. No idea why, I finished Curse in 3 days. Full Throttle in 5 (not boasting just saying) both without any help from guides at all.

Reach into the mouse hole for cash?!?! Use Max on the cat to get your orders!?! It just never clicked with me and I always gave up after a few hours.

So my question is, how does TTG's Sam & Max measure up to Hit the Road? Are the puzzles good? Are they logical?

I'm going to play the demo now but I heard it get's much better later on, is it worth a purchase?

Thanks!

But although I am a HUGE Lucasarts adventure fan, and have played and finished all of them other than, despite many attempts to play Sam & Max Hit the Road I could not get into it. I love Steve Purcell and I loved the humour, but found the puzzles to nonesensical and frustrating. No idea why, I finished Curse in 3 days. Full Throttle in 5 (not boasting jusr saying) both without any help from guides at all.

The puzzles are, generally, a lot LESS nonsensical in the new Sam & Max, thankfully!

So I finished the first episode last night and I loved the hell out of it! This is actually my first Telltale Game. I have been cheering from the sideline waiting for games I am interested in to come to a console I want to play them on. Someone gave me Sam & Max for the Wii and I tried to play it, but it looked horrible on my HDTV. And for some reason (maybe my Wii) it stuttered before every animation, so I gave up. And although I pre-ordered Tales as an exception, I don't play new games on my PC (messing with sliders to get the best performance spoils my enjoyment of the game, I'm too anal I keep changing them rather than just playing).

Telltale really are the new Lucasarts!

I thought the graphics were excellent and the animation was very entertaining! The writing was stellar in my opinion. Sure the story itself was only OK, but the journey and the dialogue was among the best I have played. Really reminded my of Day of the Tentacle. But I guess that's because of the very talented Dave Grossman.

And everyone says it's gets better as it goes along! Fantastic! I'm even more excited for Takes now I know it's in such capable hands! Roll on Season 2 on XBLA!

I guess the puzzles in Sam and Max Hit the road were hard but lots of them made sense (to me at least). I guess I just have an imagination when it comes to these things.

I didn't say bad, just a little nonsensical. Like I say, I'm pretty good at adventure games and usually don't need a guide, but Sam & Max Hit the Road seemed to have some really whacked logic. Maybe it got much better later on but I never got past the funfair.

I didn't say bad, just a little nonsensical. Like I say, I'm pretty good at adventure games and usually don't need a guide, but Sam & Max Hit the Road seemed to have some really whacked logic. Maybe it got much better later on but I never got past the funfair.

Yeah, it is hang-bangingly impossible at times. (Use Max with the switch in the Tunnel O' Love ride?!? I couldn't believe that was the solution.)

So I finished the first episode last night and I loved the hell out of it! This is actually my first Telltale Game.

Yeah, it's a good episode. My personal ranking for Season One:

Reality 2.0

Bright Side of the Moon

The Mole, the Mob and the Meatball

Abe Lincoln Must Die!

Culture Shock

Situation: Comedy

Most people would rank Abe Lincoln a bit higher, though.

Finished Episode 2 last night (Situation: Comedy). Very good, a little on the easy side but I like the more casual approach, feels more like a sit-com, which I believe is what they were going for.

Also very funny, Dave Grossman's writing really shines in this. Loved the store keeper in disguise!

This is really filling me with excitement for Telltales take on Monkey Island.

I definitely enjoyed season one, but it wasn't without it's flaws. Played it all in about two weeks, so it got a little repetitive visiting Bosco's and Sybil's in every single game. Little frustrating that Sam couldn't run or fast-travel too, plodding past the same scenery got a little frustrating. The only other complaint I can make is that sometimes it wasn't abundantly clear what I was supposed to be doing, but that was probably more my own fault. So I, erm, had to cheat a bit.

Still, fantastically written, excellent voice acting, some very nice puzzles and the look and feel was very Sam & Max.

Season two is a step up. Just finished playing through 'Chariots of the Dogs', easily my favourite episode so far. One more to go, then it's time for Tales!

Very tempted to drop $50 on the hard-cover Surfing the Highway..

Little frustrating that Sam couldn't run or fast-travel too, plodding past the same scenery got a little frustrating.

Not sure if this is new to it, but in the XBLA version, if you double press A when pointing at somewhere, Sam will run there instead of walk :D

Archived