Home

MI: Special Edition - A comparison study

parabolee

Ok So I fixed (EDIT: IMPROVED, lol. Probably still not how it should be) my Guybrush walk animation, I think it was a little off before. And rather than just post the same thing again, I added a background for reference.

I also resized this to be more accurate to the size Guybrush will look on your screen. It will be pretty rare he is as big as those full resolution versions in previous posts.

Guybrush-walk3.gif

Gotta say, while I see the stiffness others do. It looks pretty cool to me. But maybe part of that is because I love the new Guybrush, such a dork! :thmbup1:

Really could use some more frames though, it really looks choppy to me. My speed might be off too though. I have this at 4 frames per animation frame and 25 frames per second.

Seems smoother in the videos to me, hmmmm.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeesh. Don't like it :(

I seriously wouldn't use any top ten modern comic book artists, especially the popular ones who no doubt work for the big two bull**** comic corps, as any kind of standard for good artwork or appealing anatomy. Mainstream comics (and many indies, as well) in the United States have always been a kind of cesspool of the artistic world for the last few decades.

Lol. You are so grouchy lately, it's actually ridiculous. Windsor McCay?! What are you, 100?? Why don't you imagine the the "top ten modern comic artists" are rated by the quality of their output rather than their popularity? (It's nowhere near as bad as the Rob Liefeld era, anyway.)

Ahaha... check this out:

4557.jpg

Liefeld, you big douche.

I don't know, I don't really have anything nice to say, so I probably shouldn't say it at all. I really hate the comic industry and which artists and writers sell the most blah blah blah, so I'll have nothing but vitriol to spit at the topic and parabolee and the other guy have really rubbed me the wrong way.

I think I'll just go back into Mojo lurk mode unless I have an important game question or something along those lines.

I'm still rubbing you the wrong way? Just give me some directions dude and I'll rub you anyway you want :D

Seriously though Rob Liefeld was a massively talentless assole! :mad:

Did anyone actually like his art?

OK so I am going to do some comparison work to show this but I have just made an interesting discovery regarding the sliding Guybrush's walking animation does in game.

I was looking at some of the video's and trying to find the cause. And he does do it even when the screen is still. Seems one of the reasons he looks smoother in the videos (than my animation examples above) but slides is that his body is closer to the last frame but his feet are not perfectly lined up with the floor. But here is the discovery -

THE SLIDING WAS IN THE ORGINAL GAME!

Yep you read that right, I was trying to figure out what they did wrong to make him look like he slides a little in the animation so I am comparing the frame placements with the original game and sure enough his feet are a few pixels too far forward after each frame! Causing a slight slide as he walks, however the lower resolution pretty much completely hides this!

But don't take my word for it, I'll prepare some images and animated GIFS showing this real soon. But looking at any video of the original game and viewing it frame by frame will clearly show this.

Pretty shocked to discover this actually, I was sure the sliding was an issue introduced into the SE. But clearly it is also an issue of the higher fidelity exposing flaws we previously could not see.

OK here it is, definitive proof that the slide was present in the original game and is just more pronounced in the Special Edition.

I wanted to do more frame examples but too busy at work today so this will have to do. I believe these are taken from the CD VGA version.

slide-1.png

Above I have added a green line around the placement of Guybrush's shoe to show where it sits on the ground. A perfect animation would have his foot in the same place in the next frame as it is carrying his weight and not moving. The next frame shown on the right clearly shows that it has slide almost half the length of his foot along the ground! This slide happens in pretty much every frame!

The same images without the outline below.

slide-2.png

And an animated GIF of the frames -

Slide-anim.gif

When I have more time I'd like to grab shots from the game instead of video so we can see a clear pixel by pixel view of this. Anyone know the easiest way to get video from ScummVM? Or frame by frame screen grabs? Pausing it doesn't work because of the big PAUSE box on top of the screen, although I could work around that.

EDIT:

Thinking more about this more though and looking at the SE frames, I think they could have fixed this by drawing the characters a little smaller inside the bounding boxes and adjusting the positioning so the feet stay in the right place while the whole box moves across the screen.

Now that may cause issue's with lining other things up I guess, and it's hard to speculate without being more familiar with the inner working of the code and playing around with different sprites in the code. But it seems to me that had they been aware of this issue in time, it could have been fixed without changing code.

Surely the person that animated the HD version of Guybrush saw this, I'm wondering if they didn't want to change it... re sticking as close to the original as possible. If this is the case, this is one of the times doing that bites you in the ass... in keeping true with the original frames/sprites they have made it look hoaky in the HD version.

Oh well I'm still looking forward to it and will play it, I mean I can see it now but I didn't ever see it before so I don't see how it would bother me while playing the actual game.

Surely the person that animated the HD version of Guybrush saw this, I'm wondering if they didn't want to change it... re sticking as close to the original as possible. If this is the case, this is one of the times doing that bites you in the ass... in keeping true with the original frames/sprites they have made it look hoaky in the HD version.

Oh well I'm still looking forward to it and will play it, I mean I can see it now but I didn't ever see it before so I don't see how it would bother me while playing the actual game.

Oh yeah it's very minor and should not hinder anyone's enjoyment, that is for sure.

But maybe the animator never saw it. I mean you wouldn't see it when working on upgrading the frames. It would only become apparent once the new artwork is in the game and running. And even then some wouldn't notice it, although the artists should.

Did anyone notice that Elaine is FLOATING in the Special Edition?

Yeah I was working with that image a little while ago for the Guybrush walk above. Seems that the mapped floor is too high on the whole background and a huge stroke of unfortunate luck exposes that for the worse by the lowest section of the bridge being the part where Elaine stands!

Or more accurately, when they redrew the bridge with the awesome warping, they accidentally allowed it to go lower than the original bridge, DOH!

Easily fixed by moving the background a little higher. Wonder if it will be fixed in time for release? Hope so.

Hehe this thread should be titled "Nitpicking SMI:SE to Death."

LOL, maybe.

But in a comparison study nit picking at differences is inevitable.

Although I have to say nit pick I might, but overall all my posts have been of a positive opinion towards the Special Edition.

Comentary can sometimes spoil certain things though, for example in films when you didn't know something was a special effect, then it's later reveal as for example a miniature, it may ruin the experience.

Yeah this is true, but I think most of us here are so well versed in Monkey Island minutia that this wont effect us.

Plus anyone worried about spoiling can wait until after they finish it to come back to this thread. Then it will be like a DVD extra :D

And................... you can always NOT read the thread.

Christ! Do you attack everyone on these threads? Am I the only one noticing this? Can you try and avoid flaming please rather than encourage it

But anyways, this topic is called "A comparison study" so I think it's perfectly fine to discuss the style of the special edition in comparison to the original, without people saying "stop bad mouthing the game, this thread is for comparison". Getting back on topic is NOT just posting screenshots from both games, that is not a study ¬_¬

Who else loves the giant moon? I think I would have actually forgotten it wasn't in the original (despite playing it since like birth) if I hadn't seen it in comparison like that XD It just kinda looks like it was meant to be there

I agree, the new moon fits that scene well. I also like how all the pirates boats are docked at the SCUMM Bar, thats a nice touch. My only real complaint of that entire scene is that they removed the smiley face off the sign of the SCUMM Bar. :(

Archived