Home

MI: Special Edition - A comparison study

parabolee

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi there, I'm a bit sad about how the LeChuck become in the SE,

So I did some changes to make he look more like the original one...

lechuckcores2.jpg

1. Special Edition

2. CD/VGA

3. My version! With new colors, the mustache, the fake nose with the eyebrows, and with a little fix in his arm.

4. EGA

5. Original Concept Art

I would like to know what you think about it.

Hope you enjoy anyway.

Apart from the nose and that cheap arm fix. It's much better, he looks more like a ghost like that, and is also a lot scarier looking.

I never liked that pink nose of his though.

Edit: It actually makes more sense for him to have a blue coat, his real (red) coat was on his corpse at the time.

hmm nice try, but I think you made him look too young. the walk pose looks too much like a young gangster. Also your beard is trimmed which I don't like. I think the beard should have a life of its own. A little like Davy Jones tentacles. The SE version enhanced the beard a little over the VGA one which I like (the EGA beard was closer to the original concept art than the VGA beard).

Now that I see the Tales LeChuck next to the "grown ups" he looks a bit like LeChuckie the tiny cursing LeChuck doll. That ridiculously inflated pirate symbol on his hat might have something to do with it, as does the tamed beard. And fixated on beards as I seem to be :) Telltale really should've spent some time doing some kind of procedurally animated tentacle-like beard instead of that green goo. Looks like he threw up ;)

btw Steve Purcell posted some work he did for CMI ! A version of his LeChuck too!

CoMIChars1.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_FbFu1YBZ-Hw/SkAgf38Es7I/AAAAAAAAAZQ/OPQ4Pru6_qQ/s1600-h/CoMIChars1.jpg

I was browsing through spudvision, came across this.

I think this is what Guybrush should have looked like in the SE

Guy.jpg

This is great, but isn't he a little too cool? Guybrush is supposed to be a dork. That's why I love the SE version of him.

man oh man I would pledge to feed bananas to a three-headed-monkey for life, just to see a Steve Purcell-stylized Monkey Island 3 or 5. His artworks, no matter if they are more natural looking like on the MI and MI2 cover or the more exaggerated ones always have so much attention to detail that you could just dive into the world.

@LeChuck Norris

I can't believe I've never noticed that bird in his hat before! It's even on the cover of MI2. How cool!

Yeah, I just noticed that too, it's brilliant :D

This is great, but isn't he a little too cool? Guybrush is supposed to be a dork. That's why I love the SE version of him.

I actually always imagined Guyrbush as a cool kind of dork... a witty dork (kind of like Spiderman, although I really hate to make that comparison :p)

I actually always imagined Guyrbush as a cool kind of dork... a witty dork (kind of like Spiderman, although I really hate to make that comparison :p)

I hear you on that, and I agree more so in 2. But with so many references to how dorky h looks in one, the SE sprite really seems to fit to me.

At the point in time when that concept art was being done it was for the movie, which may or may not have been an accurate interpretation of the characters from the game. Guybrush is much less naive than the first game even in Monkey Island 2. His character development beyond that was pretty much halted with CMI. It appears TOMI will continue where MI2 left off. in terms of that

I think it was proposed at LucasArts/LucasFilm around the time of CMI. There's some concept art for it on Steve Purcell's blog here - I can't remember exactly why it never got made though, but it never got past the pre-production stage.

Where you got that art and the two posts following are all movie concept, not game concept. It was all done after CMI, which also explains why it is much more elaborate than anything in the first two games, Purcell's further artistic advancement notwithstanding. It also appears from all of the concept, at least from my guess, that the characters were going to be somewhat different and all generally more rough looking, suggesting (in my opinion, again) that the movie would be a sort of alternate uncanon universe from the game, as movies usually are.

The full posts for MI Movie concept:

http://spudvisionblog.blogspot.com/2008/02/hey-look-pirates.html

http://spudvisionblog.blogspot.com/2008/02/more-pirates.html

http://spudvisionblog.blogspot.com/2008/01/piratey.html

"Who said anything about Elaine Marley?"

General nondisclosure agreement sort of says he shouldn't be posting any of these at all, but art was first liberally posted, although not explicitly, a while back here:

http://www.stacchi.com/folio/

If you look through Tony Stacchi's art gallery above, you may find some things that are familiar to you.

Anyways, beautiful technique:

Wave.jpg

Dead.jpg

My envy is now in overdrive.

And this all has nothing to do with the Special Edition, I'm done clogging the thread.

Archived