Home

MI: Special Edition - A comparison study

parabolee

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gorgeous! Just gorgeous. Too bad they never got it off the ground. If this had been made in 1997-1998, the POTC movies would be seen as mere rip-offs!

And the plot thicken(s/ed):

link

Secondly, As we assumed, the artwork from Steve Purcell was for the canceled Monkey Island movie that ILM (Industrial Light and Magic) was working on in 2000. The really interesting thing is that the movie was going to be produced by Steven Spielberg (who is a big Monkey Island fan himself). He asked Ted Elliott, a script writer who has worked on several Disney movies (including 'Treasure Planet') and on 'Steven Spielberg’s Director's Chair' game, to help with the story for the MI movie.

The Monkey Island movie never got the green light and years later Ted Elliott wrote 'Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl', which took several ideas from Monkey Island. So basically the first two PotC movies are the Monkey Island movie.

Yeah It could have really been something special... But it could have also been the end of MI as we know it. If it had done well they may have spilled into other realms like action games or something horrible like that.. and forgotten all about making any new adventure games.. So who knows maybe it really was all for the best.. We will never know.

MY MIND -> OFFICIALLY BLOWN.

So basically, if more people had bought CMI, the suits might've greenlighted a MONKEY ISLAND movie based on the most awesome and inspiring piratey concept art ever.

Maybe, but I don't think it would have ever made it as an animated movie either way. The United States is an entertainment cesspit when it comes to animated film.

Just the idea of a monkey sidekick...why wasn't this done in the games? There could be so much humor potential there. Sometimes the monkey could be a better thinker than Guybrush. Just think of K9 or something like that. And there could be a little sideplot with the monkey having the three-headed monkey as an antagonist.

I'm thinking Monkey = Sophia Hapgood. A team mode for Monkey Island where you would have passages working together escaping from LeChuck's fortress or something like that.

Imagine the monkey violently shaking it's head as Guybrush keeps coming up with the most idiotic solutions as to what the monkey meant.

Just the idea of a monkey sidekick...why wasn't this done in the games? There could be so much humor potential there. Sometimes the monkey could be a better thinker than Guybrush. Just think of K9 or something like that. And there could be a little sideplot with the monkey having the three-headed monkey as an antagonist.

It's one of those ideas that died out after the 90s ended.

monkey_trouble.jpg

I thought it was a studio for the film or something? It's definitely skillfully drawn, it's just not my Monkey Island :)

That is the problem now isn't it? there have been so many different art styles in MI that everyone now has their specific idea of what it should look like.... Its like there is no real correct answer.

That is the problem now isn't it? there have been so many different art styles in MI that everyone now has their specific idea of what it should look like.... Its like there is no real correct answer.

Except the correct answer is Steve Purcell's drawings ;)

You'll get no arguments from me on that.... but there is much love all around for the Bill Tiller style stuff.... and I can respect that because the 3rd game was a very nice looking game... even though that Guybrush is not my first choice.... Even Ron Gilbert said that the third game was very well done.. Despite it not going exactly how he had imagined it.

Archived