Home

Check out what I found!

parabolee

So over the weekend I was helping my parents-in-law clear out their attic to the sidewalk for pickup. For those that don't know here in the US (I'm from the UK but live in NJ USA) it's pretty common for people to move old junk to the side of the road for anyone who want it to take, like furniture and boxes of old toys which is eventually taken away by a pickup company.

So I go check out what a neighbor put out for pickup and in a large box of old toys and videogames I found this MINT in box copy of Day of the Tentacle!

DOTT.jpg

How sweet is that!!!

What? Are you in the US or UK? *is confused* and yeah I don't think they are actually that rare... I mean yeah it's probably rare to pick up a mint copy for free but these kind of things are always up on ebay and I personally have quite a few of these "rare" big boxes in my house (would not sell them though)

What? Are you in the US or UK? *is confused* and yeah I don't think they are actually that rare... I mean yeah it's probably rare to pick up a mint copy for free but these kind of things are always up on ebay and I personally have quite a few of these "rare" big boxes in my house (would not sell them though)

I live in NJ, USA, but I am from Sheffield England.

Mint in box copies are pretty rare. I mean on Amazon a mint in box copy of DoTT goes for $129 - $169!

I live in NJ, USA, but I am from Sheffield England.

Mint in box copies are pretty rare. I mean on Amazon a mint in box copy of DoTT goes for $129 - $169!

Well, I really hate this about Amazon, but they have a lot of ******* sellers that think just because they have something that's out of print, they can ridiculously over inflate the cost. If you are familiar with comic book artists Dave McKean or Ashley Wood, there are people that buy their books in bulk, wait for it to go out of print since they always have limited runs and list them for 500 bucks on Amazon. I also remember someone selling a Little Nemo book recently for 250 bucks that wasn't actually out yet, but hoping they would trick someone since Amazon did not list the book for preorder yet. The book can now be had for $25-50 dollars.

You'd have to go by Ebay winning bids to get an accurate sell price. All of the Buy-it-now prices have similar problems to Amazon on vintage games.

I would guess on Ebay, what you have would go from anywhere from $30-70. Very nice find by the way. I'm jealous even though I guess I have my own, sans the original 3 sided box which my dad threw away long ago along with many other boxes since they took up too much space.

The high priced LucasArts stuff seems to start with the FM-Towns versions at crazy prices, the 3 sided DOTT box for a couple hundred, and complete boxed versions of Maniac Mansion and Zak McKracken for PC. I wish I could get my hands on the last two for a reasonable price.

OMG what luck. I've been looking for the CD version of DOTT for ages on the internet.

There's tons of German rereleases with *I think* PDF manuals in the files if all you want is the CD. Some of them even come with Sam and Max. You could try Ebay.co.uk for that but most of the CD only ones in a DVD case on Ebay US are these rereleases as well.

I have the floppy dick version of DOTT.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I just checked on the UK Amazon and they are selling for £25-£30. The lowest priced one having this in the comments, "big box release on 3.5' disc (CD version also included), complete with manual, reference card & poster." It says very good condition, which would I assume the copy you obtained was (it wasn't factory sealed right?)

So yeah... unless it's just rare in America? XD It sure ain't that rare here! I think the hardest thing for me to get was LucasArts Archives Vol. III Which I think I managed to get for around £70 on ebay, although I think my dad paid for it because I was quite young at the time. I don't really know why I didn't just order the games separately actually. I think I mainly wanted it because I had LucasArts Archives Vol I also.

I have the Classic Adventures box, Archives I, II(actually my brother's), III, white label double pack MI 1&2(first game I ever bought because it was about pirates and had monkey in the title, I was young) and also big box releases of Curse and Escape and every other adventure that didn't come in one of the sets, have them all XD Man, I was quite a collector in my youth.

And they all have EVERYTHING they came with (loads of out of date registration sheets etc.) one even came with an old issue of The Adventurer magazine which is proper like newspaper printed and everything. But as I already said, I'm not selling any of it :p

This post got stupidly large for no reason :/ That'll be all

Well I just checked on the UK Amazon and they are selling for £25-£30. The lowest priced one having this in the comments, "big box release on 3.5' disc (CD version also included), complete with manual, reference card & poster." It says very good condition, which would I assume the copy you obtained was (it wasn't factory sealed right?)

I think it's because almost every LucasArts adventure game has been rereleased in multiple European countries many times over. While besides the Adventure Archives sets and Secret of Monkey Island 1 on CD, LucasArts may have at most rereleased their adventures in the US one time each if not zero. So that stuff helps bring the value of the original full boxed sets down.

It's funny how the Sierra boxed sets all took a major price drop in final bid values on Ebay when those crappy Vivendi rereleases came out.

Forget to say: Awesome find! You lucky pup! My copy is FAR from mint. Yours really does look brand new!

Yeah it is flawless! Not a mark on it! Really happy. Now I might have to complete my collection.

I had the Monkey Island's boxed for the Amiga along with boxed, DoTT, CMI, EMI and Full Throttle for PC. But I lost them all when I moved over to the US. Now this DoTT is all I have :(

Lost them? How?

Well it's a little long and complex, but essentially when I over over to the I could not bring all my belongings.

So a lot was left in my old house with the intention of getting it later, my mother and sister were the ones that went through all that stuff and despite my express instruction to get all my stuff and keep it safe, a lot of things like that were lost. Lost all sorts of cools stuff, Gamegear, Amiga 500 framed artwork of mine. Really sucks, makes me pretty sad.... thanks for bringing it up :¬:

Dude everytime I see one of your forum posts you always say your confused. :confused:

Archived