Home

SMI: SE & Flutes

fizzymitsu

Is it just me, or are do all the remastered songs have a flute as the main instrument? Was that what it was supposed to sound like in the VGA and CD versions? What I heard that bothered me the most was the SCUMM Bar in the Special Edition... it just doesn't sound piratey to me anymore... and that makes me sad. :(

EDIT: ok I've been listening to the CD version of the SCUMM Bar theme and it does kinda sound like a flute, but it changes each time the lil melody starts over again... I like that, I wonder if the new theme does that too.

EDIT AGAIN: OK I feel like a dumbass now, I listened to the new theme watching the video on Justin.tv, and it does change each time, and it doesnt sound as bad as I thought it did.

To each their own I suppose. I like the CD version because that was the first version I ever heard... which I assume is the reason why you like the Amiga version. I was listening to the SE version on Justin.tv and I think its the 2nd or 3rd time it restarts that the instrument that they use then is really good. I really like that song, but I think I like the Monkey Island (like when yer actually on the island) song better... hopefully that sounds the same because I'll be upset if its got flutes in it instead of tribal drums.

I think the flute for the main theme is a lot weaker and more whimsical than the CD version's was. I kind of prefer the epic-ness of the CD version as opposed to the carefree comedy-ness of the SE. But they're both good.

I actually think it's worse than being weaker and whimsical. That flute on the main theme is downright dreadful, as I've been sure to mention to any person who (initially) would listen.

That trill on the seventh note of the theme - in every single reiteration (and also whenever the same note is played in other places). It drives me nuts, in a very bad way. So much so, that I'll probably consistently skip the intro every time now, where previously I consistently let it play through :confused:

Also a bit disappointed that the remix stuck so closely to the original MIDI rather than rearranging it to make it work in a live setting, as I'm sure Land et al themselves would have done. I know that other people would complain about not being faithful then, but the arrangement as it stands just doesn't really work all that well.

And for the big G upstairs' sake... Couldn't they have found an actual bass player for the bass part? :raise:

Serge!

LT! Long time, to say the least... (well, except I've been here for a month :)) How are things?

And no, the Amiga soundtrack is inspired, if lacking compared to the MT-32 version. And yes, the Amiga soundtrack was the first I heard. :)

Archived