Home

Michael Jackson

Jae Onasi

Michael Jackson has been taken to the hospital with cardiac arrest according to breaking news. There is an unconfirmed rumor of his death.

From my experience in the medical field, when CPR is done in the field, the survival rate is about 10% even when you do everything absolutely right, so the unconfirmed rumor is unfortunately likely to be true.

Comment on CPR--please learn it, and use it if necessary, even knowing the mortality rate is high. You still have a 10% chance of saving someone, and you can't make them any more dead once you start.

Heart failure was in his family?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I'd been born a few years earlier I might care, but by the time I was aware of him, it was because of the first child molestation trial.

A few other things of note:

*MTV is actually showing music videos (What a ****ing concept)

*They're polluting terrestrial classic rock stations with his music (Cue XM)

*80's on 8 is polluted also (Cue On Broadway)

A few other things of note:

Wow. They haven't done that since before I stopped watching MTV in the early 90s.

*They're polluting terrestrial classic rock stations with his music (Cue XM)

*80's on 8 is polluted also (Cue On Broadway)

And of all of the repetitive, repetitive, repetitive 80s crap, his was the most repetitive crap of all. Most of his songs featured a key phrase that would be repeated at least 100 times throughout the song. It was sheer torture for anyone with an iota of taste in music.

I can't speak for the radio coverage where you are...but MTV, and the major news outlets along with Sirius Satellite Radio did mention all of that stuff. It is terribly tragic when someone dies suddenly, and he does have an enduring legacy through his music and all the artists he inspired. He was a pop icon, and a trend setter for the music industry.

Michael had his personal issues, that is certain...but he was very much all the blah blah blah you dismiss as hooh-hah

No-one is denying that he had a profound impact on music and popular culture (even if I myself can't see it) - but the 24hr news coverage of his death is a little overblown - especially seeing as the channels are merely repeating the same facts every twenty minutes until something new facts come up every six hours.

I like my news to report on more than just one story.

No-one is denying that he had a profound impact on music and popular culture (even if I myself can't see it) - but the 24hr news coverage of his death is a little overblown - especially seeing as the channels are merely repeating the same facts every twenty minutes until something new facts come up every six hours.

I like my news to report on more than just one story.

Ah but that's what the "national news media" does these days. They latch on to something, milk it for all its worth..and then eventually they move on :)

sadly a lot of people do yes...I watched the coverage for about an hour on Thursday and changed the channel.

I despise Fox News, CNN, MSNBC, and all the other national media outlets here in the States. About the only time I turn them on is when something is breaking right then and there such as it was with Michael on Thursday.

From what I can tell from the 911 tape that has been released:

1. The doctor was there doing CPR for some length of time (presumably short) before they called 911. They should have called immediately even if the doctor was there. Seconds count in cardiac arrest in terms of getting a defibrillator, life-saving medications, and access to a heart catheterization suite to clear the blockage.

2. The doctor was doing CPR on the bed. Unless he put a board underneath MJ, the CPR he did was useless. You have to do CPR on a hard surface. The doctor is a cardiologist and should know that.

The doctor has disappeared, and no one knows where he's gone.

I should say, however, that even if the doctor did everything correctly with CPR and called 911 immediately, the odds were still overwhelmingly against MJ surviving, unfortunately. There's also questions floating about prescription drug abuse and severe health problems which would have lowered his survival chances further. It's just sad that there appears to be a couple big screw-ups by someone who clearly should have known better.

From what I can tell from the 911 tape that has been released:

1. The doctor was there doing CPR for some length of time (presumably short) before they called 911. They should have called immediately even if the doctor was there. Seconds count in cardiac arrest in terms of getting a defibrillator, life-saving medications, and access to a heart catheterization suite to clear the blockage.

2. The doctor was doing CPR on the bed. Unless he put a board underneath MJ, the CPR he did was useless. You have to do CPR on a hard surface. The doctor is a cardiologist and should know that.

The doctor has disappeared, and no one knows where he's gone.

I should say, however, that even if the doctor did everything correctly with CPR and called 911 immediately, the odds were still overwhelmingly against MJ surviving, unfortunately. There's also questions floating about prescription drug abuse and severe health problems which would have lowered his survival chances further. It's just sad that there appears to be a couple big screw-ups by someone who clearly should have known better.

I'd guess the doctor disappeared probably because he knows what he did, or didn't do in this case, and doesn't want to be mauled by angry fans or lose his license which I'm sure would happen if it can be proven he acted incorrectly.

Jae, you are of course correct, the odds are severely against survival in that case. My father-in-law had a heart attack about four weeks ago, and was told that if he'd waited another hour before calling an ambulance he would have died. As it was he had to be life flighted to the nearest hospital and had quadruple bypass surgery.

Yeah, I heard on the radio earlier today that he was taking some Morphine, on a regular basis IIRC, so that probably led to the cardiac arrest.

Anyways, RIP to the guy who wore a glove and went from black to white, a real king of Pop.

My opinion based on observation:

What it is (partially) is they are so used to having the attention at such a young age that they have a crisis when the focus is off of them (most cases). Some do end up different but I think this has more to do with internal mental neurological predisposition.

Doesn't even have to be TV and media fame, could just be too much attention *period*.

Also, yes, I have also seen a rather odd bizarre sudden reaction to realizing success. People don't know quite how to handle it. In the case of wealth, not only does it magnify the kind of person you are and possibly exacerbate personality flaws/can actually destroy the kind of person somebody was before that.

The sort of pressure from prestige, or even just accomplishment, might possibly cause these faults to become breaking points...similarly analogous to real life examples of objects with force put upon them. If you think about it, it's like carrying a ton of weight.

Wealth: not even as much as wealthy people, has some rather negative effects on certain personality types. I have seen smaller stars get countless small fortunes and blow it all.

My dad has a saying "Everybody wants to be rich, but only an idiot wants to be famous"

Wise man, indeed. Coudn't agree more.

With his surgery, possible pedophilia, and so on it is quite evident that he had some problems. This may have stemmed from the fact that he was a famous kid, and as we've all seen... kids who grow up with the camera constantly on them can have some **** happen to them. Seeing as this happens with so many people, I think we can go back to that "drunk with power" saying, in which people just drink themselves in and do some stupid stuff. However, they do not aim the cameras. It is the media's job to keep the cameras on him, and they do this because of us.

I am inclined to agree with that given my above statements and theories based on my real life observations.

For brevity your statements about media: Certainly the media machine is no less an agitating mechanism for these phenomena. Still, it's hard to see exactly how it affects people until long after the damage has begun to manifest itself.

What's even more crazy about it is the fact that it is ultimately choice of the celebs. True, it is largely influenced and the hand is often forced, butI guess all I am saying here is that it is just amazing how people end up when they chose it in the first place. Much of it is unpreparedness andgetting in over their heads to be fair. Still, it never ceases to amaze me.

I pity him because he couldn't catch a break, like most celebrities. The mainstream populous loves to call the famous a bunch of picture happy brats, and though there are those that prove the stereotype it is not often a pretty picture. Think they enjoy having virtually no privacy at all, not even in their own homes? Rich is fun, known isn't bad, but famous is a disease you can't get rid of.

Fancy going to a concert as a famous person? How about having some jackal report it every time you visit a port-o-dumper, or light a fix (whatever it may be--legal of course! :dev8:)

Granted the definition of idiot has recently extended to Spears, Lohan, Hilton with probably some others, but even so the ad-mauseum coverage goes way too far. ZOMG! Look at this such and such with a pink H2 hummer! :dozey:

What gets me is that people actually give a damn about it.

In general: Whatever Jackson's case, this is a prime example why you don't want to be famous. I am neutral. If he did do "that stuff"--shame ON him, that is an irrevocably horrible thing to do; if not then I feel sorry he can't get rid of that label even in death, that is a rather nasty jacket to be forced to wear.

I'll probably get some "Avery is defending the rich" comment for this, but to me the word "Famous" is, and always has been a negative word even though the mainstream public seems to associate it with something fantastical and amazing.

You haven't really even mentioned much about the wealth, just the person. While you are essentially defending the rich, I'm going to take a blind shot and say that is secondary as to your case for defense. Even if wealth is a contributing factor.

However, I am going to say this much: lime light is addictive. It is ultimately the choice of the star--maybe not the wisest or most informed to be sure. Choice nonetheless despite (or in spite of?) attempts, warnings, otherwise pointing to the contrary for their own good.

Although it is immense with trouble and pressure, if fame didn't have some kind of good thing going about it then people wouldn't keep coming back to it--or trying to with massive failure. That's a lot of the reason addictions exist.

What is more is how addiction from both the celebs and the consumers feed into it as a business. An addictive product sells, that's just fact. Addictive elements on the other side keep 'em coming back.

No ****? I gave up on that long ago. Such irony. They return to their roots if only temporarily for one of their idols dying. Just give it a week or two--things will go back to crap.

Rest in peace--may he be remembered for his music, and not all the screwy things in his life.

Amen to that.

A few things:

1) To all the sick people who make up sick jokes (not on this forum) about him about allegations of which he was proven innocent by a jury of his peers, get tae ****. It would be like someone accusing you or me of such things, totally unfounded and then keep harassing you for it. Especially after his death, I'm glad a lot of people have risen up to show him some respect, but like his dad said, it's sad it had to come to this for people to realize that...

2) I must say one thing that I'll never forgive him for was outbidding McCartney for the Lennon-McCartney repertoire of songs after him and Paul spent so much time together in the studio, it's really stabbing someone in the back...So a bit of a mixed bag of feelings there.

3) But anyways, RIP Michael, you're probably better off wherever you are...

• 2 weeks later...

This is a double-sided sword, he is. MJ was once a very charismatic and respectable musician who could have been the greatest in history, but he reached a peak early on and assumed he didn't have to do anything to stay there. He stagnated and then actively made himself into a laughing stock before meeting the end.

It was unfortunate that it didn't happen before he tainted everything he made for himself.

It's unfortunate that the youth of today can't comprehend how much this man's career and life has impacted them. If you're from this planet and were born at least 10 years ago, MJ has had an impact on your life.

I was only recently reminded of the many different ways Micheal's music and impact on culture has affected me in my 4+ decades on this planet.

The music that Michael and his family made early on influenced pretty much all of the R&B, rap, rock, and popular music to follow. Once Quincy Jones got a hold of him and their genius were combined, well, you know what happened next: Mega-super-icono-stardom of unprecedented proportions.

Everyone in the music industry, no matter the genre or geography, used Micheal's rise to iconic fame during his career as the pinacle of stardom and many and most only strived to achieve a fraction of that height. It's not just the number of albums sold that no one will ever touch, it's the amazing amout of people that his spirit did touch that's impressive.

Alot of that and the beauty of his music was clouded in his obscurity and eccentric nature of his later life. The media vultures and perpetual haters may pick over the bones of his obscure life, but they can't touch his legacy.

May Michael rest peacefully and may his music and essence of dance perfection, showmanship and world peace live on forever.

...Off the Wall is in my car right now.

Archived