Home

Where to buy KotOR?

M@RS

Recently I've become more and more interested in KotOR (PC). Unfortunately, I can't seem to find it anywhere. I tried the local electronics store, granted it was a long shot so I wasn't too disappointed when told that they only had it with the Best of PC Pack (which I have 2 out of 5 of the games, and Empire at War doesn't interest me so I didn't waste my money). I looked online at Amazon and a new copy is $83 (WTF?!). Right now I'm just trying to find a place I can walk in buy the game and walk out. We have several Gamestops nearby, so I went to their website and they don't even have it. >< They only have TSL and it's for Xbox. :¬: What common game stores would be likely to have it? Thanks for any help. :D

Amazon.com has used copies starting at ~$30, while new copies go up to as high as $85. Try EBay, if you want, but you'll probably get scammed anywhere you look.

You know that LucasArts should release their catalog on Steam or GOG.com when prices get that outrageous, especially for secondhand copies of a five-year-old game. Of course, they're probably holding back because they're sadists, naturally.

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Knights-Old-Republic-Pc/dp/B00006IR62/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1246066659&sr=1-5

I don't think any common game stores would have it. You could try Ebay. You could get a new copy with the bidding starting at around $20.

Dang... Alright, I'll look into it.

Amazon.com has used copies starting at ~$30, while new copies go up to as high as $85. Try EBay, if you want, but you'll probably get scammed anywhere you look.

You know that LucasArts should release their catalog on Steam or GOG.com when prices get that outrageous, especially for secondhand copies of a five-year-old game. Of course, they're probably holding back because they're sadists, naturally.

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Knights-Old-Republic-Pc/dp/B00006IR62/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1246066659&sr=1-5

Yeah, I was wanting to get a used copy, just hope it's truly a reliable seller. The cheapest used copy does seem pretty good though, it's condition seems to be very good, and it's got 99% rating with over 1,000 ratings. I MUST look into this one.

Thanks for the help guys. :)

If you buy from Amazon they back up any purchase you would make on their site. So if for some reason you receive a poor quality item you should be able to handle it with no trouble.

I say get it from amazon. I bought mine new at amazon years ago and had no problems. Why is it $80 for a new copy now?

I also recommend half.com. I'm not sure if there is a difference from ebay, but it's more organized.

http://product.half.ebay.com/Star-Wars-Knights-of-the-Old-Republic_W0QQprZ11016QQtgZinfo

Ok, thanks Athos. :)

Half.com? I'll look into that as well. :) Thanks again guys. :D

I say get it from amazon. I bought mine new at amazon years ago and had no problems. Why is it $80 for a new copy now?

My guess is that though you can get it in the 5 pack, the original box is much harder to find now w/its four "custom art" discs vs the TSL game that you can still find in places like Target, Best Buy and such.

Ok, thanks Athos. :)

Half.com? I'll look into that as well. :) Thanks again guys. :D

No problem. I was pretty tired, so I didn't explain half.com very well. (I probably shouldn't be lurking on forums at 11 pm.)

The main difference between half.com and ebay is that half.com only has buy it now options. They sort all the buying options of a product into "Brand New, Like New, Very Good, Good, Acceptable" etc. The reason I said that I wasn't sure there was a difference was because I wasn't sure if half.com used the same items from the same sellers as ebay, which is unlikely because at the bottom of each product page they list "Similar items on ebay."

I normally use half.com to buy pc games new and find deals on other video games. I use amazon for buying music when I can't be bothered to make a run to the nice record store in minneapolis. (Called the electric fetus... funny name) Sorry if any of that was hard to understand. I'm not the best at explaining things.

No problem. I was pretty tired, so I didn't explain half.com very well. (I probably shouldn't be lurking on forums at 11 pm.)

The main difference between half.com and ebay is that half.com only has buy it now options. They sort all the buying options of a product into "Brand New, Like New, Very Good, Good, Acceptable" etc. The reason I said that I wasn't sure there was a difference was because I wasn't sure if half.com used the same items from the same sellers as ebay, which is unlikely because at the bottom of each product page they list "Similar items on ebay."

I normally use half.com to buy pc games new and find deals on other video games. I use amazon for buying music when I can't be bothered to make a run to the nice record store in minneapolis. (Called the electric fetus... funny name) Sorry if any of that was hard to understand. I'm not the best at explaining things.

It's fine. I understood the system after looking around a bit. :p

• 3 weeks later...

You could also try Half-Price Books, if you live near any and don't mind hunting. I picked up KotOR (PC) for $5 two months ago (jewel case only, no manual), and I just saw another one today for $6 at a different Half-Price.

i got my kotor games from trademe, the biggest online auction site in NZ.

got them for around $20 NZD each. most of my games are from there, and almost all of them came in perfect condition. i just got spiderman 3 for pc today for $12 inc postage. ($7 game + $5 postage) which is an insane bargain. the disc is in perfect condition and so is the manual.

basically, online auctions are the way to go, especially for such old games as kotor/tsl.

• 5 months later...

Also stores like KMart very often have tons of old stock. I replaced a copy of TSL (which is also discontinued) the other day for $10 brand new, after every gaming store and second hand gaming store got through telling me if I ever manage to find any it's a collectors item.

So I walked into KMart and saw a whole shelf of TSL on sale because it was old stock they were trying to get rid of.

Nobody goes into the places like KMart for games. That's the bonus.

I just found KOTOR for Vista at Steam, currently marked at$4.99 regular $9.99. It is only available for digital download but I have not had any problems with any other games I have gotten from them. http://store.steampowered.com/ It is also available in a package deal with several other older SW games.

Do you know for certain that it works perfectly on Vista without having to take the usual steps that are necessary with the vanilla game?

The OS requirements listed on Steam are XP or Vista. I am in the process of downloading it right now. Once I get it up and going I will put up a post. I do know that I have tried to run KOTOR from the Best of Star Wars collection and it keeps crashing on my Vista computers.

Do you know for certain that it works perfectly on Vista without having to take the usual steps that are necessary with the vanilla game?

I just played throught Dantooine up to the star map temple. I even used a mod "Super Skip Taris" without any problems. I did have to turn off grass and shadows to keep my graphics from slowing down. I will warn you that not all mods may install, the game file is in a different location. You will find a folder named STEAM in your PROGRAM FILES folder. Under the COMMON folder is where SWKOTOR is located.

Archived