Home

The Windows 7 Thread

Will you be getting Windows 7?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be getting Windows 7?

• Yes (Buying it or getting it through a new PC)
    • Haven't Decided Yet
    • No, I'm sticking with my OS
    • I'm a Mac

*Astro Edit: Im stickying this Windows 7 thread for the immediate future just so any W7 news and queries can be localised here. I will gather important links back in this post to make it easier to spot. Cheers to urluckyday for the original thread*

Original Post:

Hey guys! The Windows 7 pre-order plan started today...if you buy a PC w/ Vista home premium (or above), you get to upgrade to Windows 7 at little or no cost when it's released. Also, if you pre-order 7 from Microsoft's store, Amazon, etc., you get the upgrade versions of Home Premium or Professional for over 50% off the original price...

Check it here...

http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Windows-Windows-7/category/102

Windows 7 Handy Links:

All the news directly from the developers:

The Windows 7 Team Blog

For anyone contemplating an upgrade pathway > there is a great article explaining the various routes.

The Ultimate Windows 7 Upgrade FAQ

Report of Windows 7 Beta (Build 7000) [Jan 2009]

Windows 7 Release Candidate [RC Build 7100] Reviews:

Paul Thurrot's Windows Supersite Win7 RC Reveiw [April 23 2009] >>comprehensive and easy to read ;)

Engadget [April 20 2009]

Toms Hardware [March 12 2009]

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've heard that it has all of the good stuff that XP Had and the sensible things that Vista has without all of the psychoticness of and inferiority of the two. I may go with a W7 PC if I don't choose to roll with a Mac instead.

I'm trying out the RC right now, and I am liking what I am seeing. My only problem with it is the ability to put your shortcuts on your bottom menu, although that's more my own problem than one with 7. I often click my Crysis button when I try to click maximize my Photoshop. Believe me, that gets old, fast.

^Well you'd be surprised I think. A lot of programs have problems when the OS version changes (i.e. from XP 5.0 and up to Vista 6.0)...they decided to keep it the same version number (just make it 6.1) to avoid the most basic compatibility issues...Also, they've made the XP compatibility easier to access in this version. I don't think there will be any major problems with compatibility this time around.

7 is a definite improvement over Vista, and a bit of an improvement over XP. Still, Microsoft has this policy of changing and eventually ruining stuff that already works well. The Explorer interface, for example, is cluttered with shortcuts to features that I'll never need when managing files. Still, I like how they've taken a page from Linux and established a proper /home C:\Users directory instead of that C:\Documents and Settings mindgame in XP.

Still, license are still overly expensive, especially with the little that you get.

I've had no problems with Vista. Sure, I waited until it had been out for a couple of years before switching to it, but I usually do that with OSes to avoid most of the problems that the early-adopters have to put up with. I like to let other people be the guinea pigs, and I'll most likely be doing the same with 7.

I'm not familiar with the "upgrade" method for OSes b/c I always just get a new PC before I get a new OS...but maybe someone can answer this for me.

Say I upgrade my current PC (Vista) to Windows 7, but I have to reformat at some point (using the recovery method from my manufacturer)...wouldn't that mean that I'd go back to Vista when I get everything reformatted? If so, would I be able to re-upgrade back to 7 that I bought?

I am currently using RC full time on my htpc and tablet, and will be deploying RTM on those when it is released (supposedly mid july is the word as msdn/technet)

I am using RC part time on my gaming and the quadro powered editing pc(not mine) that I get to do some work on. This is for testing purposes.

Those familiar with vista will see win7 as a lighter and snappier evolution of it. Those who jump to W7 from XP and think it is magical and nice, may not be realising that the much maligned Vista was integral to W7 being 'so much better than it'

Still, I like how they've taken a page from Linux and established a proper /home C:\Users directory instead of that C:\Documents and Settings mindgame in XP.

that was changed in Vista ;)

mtfbwya

I put in my pre-order today, Newegg is selling pre-order upgrade disks for 50% off.

I'll be upgrading from XP when the time arrives, and I'm actually looking forward to it. I used the beta version of the upgrade adviser and it found only a couple of conflicts with my system which was good news for me.

So, those of you that are using the beta, is the general consensus that it's a good OS?

Just pre-ordered home premium.

Does the upgrade disc also act as a recovery disc as well?

best create one once you get W7 installed... or use a backup proggie like acronis.

I also am an oem fan myself... though will be getting an RTM build from a msdn subscriber who owes me...

mtfbwya

There's a deal going on right now at Newegg on the Windows 7 upgrade ($50.00 for Home Premium), and I think that a lot of people are going to end up buying it to ditch Vista on the cheap.

I'd like to know myself if it's worth upgrading from Vista Home Premium at that price. What will Windows 7 bring to the table that I won't be able to get with Vista? This is coming from a generally satisfied Vista user.

okay, maybe i missed something, but if you already have Win 7 RC installed, can you just get an activation code from Microsoft (when its available, obviously)? or do you have to go through the trouble of uninstalling Win7 RC and then install the retail version??

best create one once you get W7 installed... or use a backup proggie like acronis.

I also am an oem fan myself... though will be getting an RTM build from a msdn subscriber who owes me...

mtfbwya

How do you create your own recovery disc? Like, I already use an external HD to backup my data, but I want a disc that I can use that will reinstall Windows 7 without having to worry about any licensing issues.

okay, maybe i missed something, but if you already have Win 7 RC installed, can you just get an activation code from Microsoft (when its available, obviously)? or do you have to go through the trouble of uninstalling Win7 RC and then install the retail version??

Knowing Microsoft I wouldn't hold your breath...my guess is you'd still have to pay a fee for full activation and support, but as I said that's just a guess.

How do you create your own recovery disc? Like, I already use an external HD to backup my data, but I want a disc that I can use that will reinstall Windows 7 without having to worry about any licensing issues.

windows has inbuilt data backup services. If you have ultimate, there is a full OS backup application. Otherwise third party apps like Acronis True Image create a full backup of your OS Image(to an external disc or another partition) which can be restored if things have gone haywire. Nowdays, I just keep all my data on non system drivers and partitions and have a vista x64 partition and two windows 7 partitions which I juggle around with different x64 or x86 builds for testing htpc/gaming stuff. Thats winding down now of course.

I'd like to know myself if it's worth upgrading from Vista Home Premium at that price. What will Windows 7 bring to the table that I won't be able to get with Vista? This is coming from a generally satisfied Vista user

As much as I like W7, even Im sticking to Vista for my gaming rig. If you are an htpc or tablet user, I'd absolutely encourage you to get W7 asap, otherwise youre better of waiting 12 months or so for driver inconsitencies to be ironed out and DX11 hardware and games to catch up ;)

You seem to be assuming that all components have made it from build 7100 to RTM unscathed. There have been components being chopped and change since and even at this moment as RTM is finalised.

You will be able to do an upgrade install with the new disc/image you get. Otherwise, you can ride RC until March 2010. You will notice that RC is only getting 'serviceability', language and defender updates. The bugfixes are not being released as standard KBs, just being recompiled into the RTM builds.

mtfbwya

I have Vista Home Premium, can I use the Upgrade Version to upgrade to Windows 7 Professional?

***Please do not bump threads to stress your question, it will be answered in due time, no need to double-post***

To answer your question: Yes, I'm sure you'll be able to if you buy the Win7 Professional upgrade.

Ive read alot about W7....and have read nothing stating that this upgrade pathway would be a problem. It would likely be the most commonly deployed upgrade pathway because most people simply dont want to pay for Ultimate and all the advanced networking/backup services it contains.

If you were using your pc as a htpc in Australia, Id recommend against it because of issues with Electronic Program Guide database transfer, but I doubt this issue affects you ! :p

mtfbwya

Archived