Home

The Windows 7 Thread

Will you be getting Windows 7?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be getting Windows 7?

• Yes (Buying it or getting it through a new PC)
    • Haven't Decided Yet
    • No, I'm sticking with my OS
    • I'm a Mac

The physical address extension limitation is well known, however when recommending x64 as a purchase decision(as you seem to be) some details need to be made clear. At the moment, the benefits of x64 can only be seen in very specific contexts - most of these meaning naught for the average user/gamer:

*niche applications (video editing/animation/computational)

*multiple client server setup

*multiple OS virtualisation

x64 is 'the future' but most devs are not coding for it just now. Same goes for games. The overwhelming popularity of Vista x64 among the enthusiast crowd comes from the magic trick that is the x86 compatibility layer.

One day, proper x64 computing will get here.. but not quite yet :p

I'm well aware of all of this, but I believe I made my reasons for moving to x64 clear. And I will recommend anyone who's buying a new computer for home to use the same. The more people start using x64, the more developers will start developing for it.

organise>layout>menu bar>view>status bar.

Im pretty sure they've removed the free disk space info, and reported that instead in your drive menu.

Yeah, the status bar in Vista/7 is nearly useless as it only shows the number of items within the currently opened folder.

To tell truth, I myself never even noticed it was missing :p

Lucky you. You would've been feeling a sense of loss right now if you had ever gotten used to it. :xp:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got my RTM .isos today via msdn. I have installed it on my tablet pc but not in a hurry to deploy on htpc yet. I do have x86 as dual boot but not ready to switch to the x64 full time OS yet... Theres a couple of )htpc related) editing apps I need to catch up with W7.

As much as I can see, its very much like RC. In fact fixes and teaks I've deployed in RC(such as the sidebar fix) worked fine in RTM. Will probably give KOTOR a go on it soon to report to the KOTOR peeps.

mtfbwya

Here's one for you Astro.

I'm running W7 on my computer, returned to me by my brother after months of his usage. After achieving the amazing feat of frying my graphics card, i'm now stuck using the p4vm800 onboard graphics, Unichrome pro. However, no drivers are available for this in W7.

Obviously i'll be purchasing another AGP graphics card soon, but i'd like to get back to WoW'ing it up asap. I can solve it by going back to xp, but i'd rather exhaust any alternate method first.

Help me, Astrotoy7. You're my only hope.

Help me, Astrotoy7. You're my only hope.

As Q said, if Vista drivers exist, try those first - just remember to deploy them in vista compatibility mode. If not, then try installing the XP drivers in xp compatibility mode. I have a tablet pc from 2005 which has an nvidia 32MB GPU which was supported for xp only. I ran XP drivers in compat mode in vista and W7 with no gripes ;)

To run in compatbility mode :

>Rt click the installation setup file>Properties>Select compatibility tab>pick the OS you want from the drop down box>Apply

Then run the setup as normal (and hope it works!)

AMD have more love for AGP than nvidia so you could look into an AGP 4850 if you really want to keep that mainboard for a while longer. of course, youd need to be sure your AGP slot will support the 4850 and that youi have an adequate PSU.

mtfbwya

Here's a recent article Guru 3D did comparing Vista to Win7 in gaming performance. Basically, performance was very similar, which isnt hugely suprirising given that W7 6.1 is a derivative of the Vista 6.0 Kernel, and DX11 has full DX9/DX10 compatibility built in - but its good to see that W7 will be stable on release

Read the G3D Article HERE

W7 did show some small gains in 1600p performance \o/

mtfbwya

• 3 weeks later...
Hi....

I am still thinking to continue with Windows XP because I am using it since last three year and I have no problem with that.

When something works, then stick to it !! :thmbup1:

Of course, there will always be early adopters like myself that want to try the newest thing, and yell for a few months while bugs are ironed out :D

Astro

Upgrade installs exist for noob users who want to try maintain all their apps and config settings, specifically if theyd have difficulty setting up a pc from scratch. Of course, it can cause just as many problems in certain contexts where driver and app compatibility is a bit shaky...

mtfbwya

• 1 month later...

lolz....anyone who uses intel is a fool!

*covers corei7 rig*

still exorcising the AMD fanboy atm...it will take a few months I think :thmbup1:

W7 is a couple of weeks from going mainstream retail. I must admit I have been very impressed with it on my HTPC and tablet. I havent moved onto W7 full time on my gaming rig purely because some of my game installs are in Vista and I cant be bothered reinstalling in W7. Once the Mass Effect, Assassins Creed, Bisoshock sequels etc come out - I'll be switching over :p

I think Windows 7 and the Zune HD will turn over a new leaf for MS. Here are three more things they could do to really make a dent in other markets. So far Ive been pretty good with my predictions - bluray winning the format war, ps3 price drops, so you can bet your lego house on these :D

>the zune phone. A tegra based phone with the zunes multimedia capacity will be a much welcomed competitor to the iphone

>The next gen Xbox - make it bluray and a native PVR(like the PS3 playTV addon) and you have a zillion seller

>MS to enter the e-reader market. E-readers are gradually becoming more mainstream, but at $200 a pop(for the cheapest) ones are still a bit expensive. I really want one that is mildly felexible... like a real book :)

mtfbwya

Have you tried out the Zune HD?

Not in person. As they are not officially available out here in Oz, you can only get one from ebay etc - which will set you back about $400AUD for the 16gb version.

Being a pda user - Im probably going to wait and see what winmo 7 turns out like because I need a new phone before I need a new media device. If I dont like it - I might then go for one of the htc android phones.

As much as I like the idea, I dont think Tegra based phones will hit is for another 18-24 months - by then the next iphone will be sporting them too...

mtfbwya

• 2 weeks later...
Just gotta say...3 days and counting!!!

lolz...you need to make friends with more Network Admins (particularly ones who have access to msdn and technet subscripitons) :D

Im going to try block my ears over the next few days to try drown out all the "MS new operating system is so much better than vista" junk that is going to float around. I like Win7, but NT 6.1 means it really is vista at the most fundamental level ;)

mtfbwya

Ive posted these at AHT, but just as relevant here:

Here's MS student discont reg page.

http://windows7.digitalriver.com/store/mswpus/en_US/DisplayHomePage?resid=JoT8uwoHAikAADRWLiIAAAAH&rests=1256355888928

Just pop in your school/college email address to see if you qualify and you can get Win7 premium upgrade edition for $29.95. That page is the US version so if youre outside of the US you may need to check what is available in your nation ;)

Also, here's a visual guide explaining MS convoluted upgrade pathways

windows-upgrade-chart.png

mtfbwya

Hey tech champs >> here's a cool development that can save you up to $80 (often the price difference for a upgrade vs full install disc)

Paul Thurott over at the SuperSite Blog has worked out how to perform a clean Windows 7 install using the upgrade disc.

Normally, you can boot and run full setup on with the Upgrade media for Windows 7(even on a blank drive or partition), but when you go to activate, it won't work.

The workaround instructions are as follows:

1. Perform a clean installation using the Upgrade disc.

2. Make sure there are no Windows Updates pending -- if there's an orange shield icon next to the Shutdown button in the Start Menu, that means you need to reboot before attempting the next steps.

3. Open 'regedit.exe' from the Start Menu -- just type it in there, where it says: Search programs and files. Accept the User Account Control dialogue that pops up to give yourself Windows 7 superpowers.

4. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE/

5. Change MediaBootInstall from '1' to '0'

6. Open the Start Menu again and type 'cmd' -- use ctrl+shift+enter to run it as an elevated-permissions user

7. Finally, type slmgr /rearm -- and press enter.

Apparently, the install twice method used in Vista also works.

For more info >> source

mtfbwya

If you're going from 32-bit to 64-bit you're going to have to do a clean install, possibly via Astro's instructions in the post above yours.

@Astro:

Yeah, I remember people pulling that trick with the Vista upgrade. :)

How do you get a 32 bit vista home premium up to a 64 bit 7? I popped in the disc for 64 bit but it told me that I couldn't install it b/c my system is 32 bit...

yep, as the chart will verify >> you cant do an 'upgrade install' to switch from x86 to x64. Do a fresh install and run the activation trick ive outlined above >> if you really need stuff on that drive..... now's the time to back it up !!

mtfbwya

Finally got my Windows 7 working (amazon sent me a scratched disc and I had to get a replacement :( )

I'm blown away by how good it looks, runs, and how surprisingly compatible it is with a large number of apps/drivers.

I like the new Windows Media Center a lot (I've got TV goin through it and it's a great DVR)

Just everything is amazing, including performance.

I liked Vista, but 7 is near perfect for me.

Archived