Home

The Windows 7 Thread

Will you be getting Windows 7?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be getting Windows 7?

• Yes (Buying it or getting it through a new PC)
    • Haven't Decided Yet
    • No, I'm sticking with my OS
    • I'm a Mac

I like the new Windows Media Center a lot (I've got TV goin through it and it's a great DVR)

If you dont like the default blue theme - there are some cool themes available at theme7mc.com The black one is particularly awesome :thmbup1:

Windows 7 Media Center (7MC for us HTPC freaks) is definitely a step forward. You lucky US peeps now can now get netflix(make sure you install the interface update via windows update) and cablecard integration. Make sure you check out the article I previously linkied to for cool plugins, or hack7mc.com for great summaries and links.

The only thing missing atm is a remote scheduling app. The Live Mesh team are working on one, as is super Oz coder Niall Ginsbourg who makes the ground breaking and highly polished Big Screen Apps.

Whilst 7MC has foundation mpeg4(avis etc) built in - if you need extra codec support - make sure you check out win7 codec pack, and the x64 components add on is a must if you're on x64. see shark007.net for more info.

Have fun ;)

mtfbwya

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Good afternoon guys, I've finally had my upgrade disk delivered, and I find myself in need of assistance already.

I've removed the programs it asked me to during the upgrade process, but I still can't upgrade because the installer is telling me that "setup was unable to determine if bitlocker drive encryption is in use"

I've never even heard of bitlocker until now, so i'm a bit lost as to what to do.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hey, Astor. :)

First of all, are you upgrading from Vista or XP?

I suspect that you're just going to have to back up everything and do a clean install. This would be the better route in the long run, anyway.

Hey, Astor. :)

First of all, are you upgrading from Vista or XP?

I suspect that you're just going to have to back up everything and do a clean install. This would be the better route in the long run, anyway.

I'm upgrading from Vista Home Premium to 7 Home Premium (obviously :p)

I did actually consider doing a clean install, but opted to try the upgrade first as it would have been less hassle, but it looks like i've got a night of backing up to do.

Hm.

Bitlocker is a data encryption that is used by the fancier versions of Vista and 7, and I'm pretty sure that HP doesn't use it. Odd. :confused:

Well, yeah, you're most likely going to have to perform a clean install. Try choosing the "custom install" option, and install 7 on the same partition that Vista is on. If it will let you do that, it will save your old files automatically in a folder marked "Windows Old".

• 2 months later...

So, how is Windows 7 treating everyone?

I'm thinking of upgrading all my machines to Windows 7. I'm coming from Windows XP Pro (Love) and Vista Home (Hate).

If I do upgrade, it'll be a clean install. My biggest concern is software compatibility. Will my XP/Vista programs work in 7?

So, how is Windows 7 treating everyone?

I'm thinking of upgrading all my machines to Windows 7. I'm coming from Windows XP Pro (Love) and Vista Home (Hate).

If I do upgrade, it'll be a clean install. My biggest concern is software compatibility. Will my XP/Vista programs work in 7?

Someone here said something like "Windows 7 is XP in Vista clothing".

Its true. Its got that stable feel like XP has. If you love XP, i think you'll like 7.

As for compatibility, i cant comment; i haven't really tried xp games and stuff on the 7 comp im using.

:twocents:

Someone here said something like "Windows 7 is XP in Vista clothing".

Who is this someone, I'd like to throw a cobra at them :thmbup1:

Windows 7 is a <<.1 revision>> of the 6.0 kernel that is at the heart of vista.

Quite frankly, a lot of the people making this or similar comments were not pc purchasers when XP first came out, most likely because they were about 6 at the time ;) It was far from stable at the onset.

Windows 7 owes it stability to not being a massive departure from vista(no new kernel), and some performance tweaks under the hood of course.

Now, where's my cobra Sanjay :p

mtfbwya

need a list of tips/tweaks that should be done to maximize my pleasure. Please? :D

strange for a newlywed to be asking this Rhettski ;)

From Techradar

67 Windows 7 tips, tricks and secrets

From Download squad

7 free Windows 7 tweaking utilities

7 Taskbar Tweaker gives you more control over the Windows 7 superbar

One not covered in those (I think) is getting the sidebar back the way it is in Vista, where it sits on top of other windows and browsers etc don't cross over it. Best use along with the sidelaunch gadget - best gadget if you have an exhaustive list of shortcuts but don't like to clutter your desktop or taskbar

Vista sidebar in W7 workaround

It ends up looking like this(my list goes all the way to the screen bottom nowdays) - great screen real estate saver. Pic below is from my vista install but it essentially looks the same in W7, esp of you get rid of the clunky taskbar and restore it to how it looks in vista

deskie.jpg

If you hate that windows auto resize(snap) like I do, you can switch of off in access settings as outlined HERE

If you happen to use the inbuilt windows media center app, this Hack7MC does a great job at compiling all the tips and tweaks from around the nerdy 7MC sites across the world. If you're into archiving a large multimedia collection for playback on your swanky TV, apps like mediabrowser for 7MC are a must.

Finally, whist not W7 specific - if you happen to be using office 2007, you cant go past these:

Office tab, creates firefox-like tabs for each document in word, excel etc. Great if you run many docs at once. Site is in chinese though download/link is in English

Save as PDF Plugin for Office 2007 from MS. They should have included it by default, but here it is anyway. Very handy if you're in office 2007 a lot and need to output PDFs

good luck ;)

mtfbwya

• 5 months later...

Installed Windows 7 last night and haven't even touched the IE8 thats there and Flash works great for me. Microsoft continuously collects feedback on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 operating systems from its customers and partners. This feedback results in enhancements that help improve compatibility, reliability, performance, and user experience.

Installed Windows 7 last night and haven't even touched the IE8 thats there and Flash works great for me. Microsoft continuously collects feedback on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 operating systems from its customers and partners. This feedback results in enhancements that help improve compatibility, reliability, performance, and user experience.

strange first post.

If you are a postbot, meet dancebot :thmbup1: If you are a human, welcome to LFN!! \o/

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

OT:

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 will be going into public beta phase soon(July 2010).

source windows team blog

EDIT: HERE's THE LINK for the SP1 Public Beta, now directly available from MS

mtfbwya

that robot is AWESOME.....

but anyway.

I have Windows 7 Pro

Win7 is better than xp and WAY better than Vista. Iv'e instaleld all my programs on it and they all work great! absolutly no complaints except for the startup screen somtimes sticks and I have to re-boot.

• 8 months later...
'm a Mac guy, but I run XP on the 'dark side' of my MacBook Pro and frankly I'm hoping Windows 7 is a good OS, just because I like playing around with new stuff.

If you like a more secure, faster, and just plain better OS...then yes, Windows 7 should be in the category of "good" OS's.

Archived