Home

Parnormal Investigations

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The actual 'science' behind this field is very sketchy.

The James Randi Educational Foundation aka JREF, for 10 years have offered $1 million USD to anyone who could prove the existence of psychic and paranormal phenomena under scientific protocols (ie. not just waving Electromagnetic Field detectors around in dark rooms in old houses)....

Needless to say, not one of the many (dare I say) fruitcakes who presented during this 10 year period was able to prove anything of the sort.

I throughly recommend you study some actual science.. astronomy, astrophysics, aeronautics, neurology, medicine etc - all wondrously interesting and fields which have borne the brunt of milennia of empirical scrutiny

I know those 'haunting investigation' shows can make for entertaining TV, but that is all it is.

...now if only organisations like the JREF existed in the first milennia pre and post Anno Domini, folks would be able to focus more on the real message of those great teachers rather than the reported and/or invented magic tricks people hold so much stock in.... *sigh* :violin:

mtfbwya

Real science involves employing the scientific method. "Paranormal investigation" tends to be the anti-thesis: starting with a conclusion (ghost are real) and then works toward observation (now let's find some evidence for them). Not to mention a lot of the claims cannot be falsified.

Having beakers and Bunsen burners doesn't make you a scientist :)

P.S. JREF shout-out

I don't know if UFO is considered Paranormal Investigation, but I do really like to look at the stars with friends and do camping's to look at the stars for any type of change in the sky or if anything happens.

I'm highly suspect of the paranormal cases where it is proven. I have seen, too, some really weird phenomenon. I swear on my kids' life and generations thereafter I am being honest that I have seen it. I have nothing to show for it, though. At least not that science would completely accept, anyways.

Not saying it does or doesn't happen. Just saying we don't know and I'm not sure we ever will know. People are content to accept amd stick with pro or con in this issue. I won't get into saying it exists or doesn't exist from a fallacious standpoint of ignorance (I.E. no evidence/you weren't there so you don't know it does exist/doesn't exist), however, one should never rule out the possibility either way. Keep an open mind.

I have gone from believer, to nonbeliever, and back.

I wonder if the debate and conflict over this and a great del many other things isn't perhaps part of the purpose of our journey through life.

I don't know if UFO is considered Paranormal Investigation, but I do really like to look at the stars with friends and do camping's to look at the stars for any type of change in the sky or if anything happens.

It depends on what you mean by "UFO". If you mean "Unidentified Flying Object" (i.e. anything in the sky that moves which you cannot readily identify) then no. If you mean "OMFG, aliens!!!!", then yes.

i dont think parapsychologists use beakers and bunsen burners Psudo-Scientists do but they study... well Psudo-Sciences

Scientific Method involves using controlled conditions and randomised selection to prove the that certain occurences are not purely by chance. The stats gurus call this rejecting a null hypothesis. Beakers and Bunsens are moreso the domain of those working in chemistry and its related fields. From this repsonse, we can only suspect that you have perhaps not encountered these concepts at school thus far. No biggie. We all had wacky fantasies when we were youngsters ;)

I wanted to be a jedi/archaeologist/ghostbuster in the mid 80s ;)

mtfbwya

I wanted to be a jedi/archaeologist/ghostbuster in the mid 80s ;)

i thought you were. Don't ruin this for me.

No offence, i think there's much better ways of wasting your life than trying to prove ghosts/aliens exist etc.

Staged shows aside, there are actually paranormal investigators out there. Most of them used recording devices, reasearch, ifrared...etc...to attempt to prove the the existence of ghosts or spirits.

I'm not saying I believe or don't believe in that type of thing, but merely pointing out that such investigators do exist that have nothing to do with TV shows.

Staged shows aside, there are actually paranormal investigators out there. Most of them used recording devices, reasearch, ifrared...etc...to attempt to prove the the existence of ghosts or spirits.

I'm not saying I believe or don't believe in that type of thing, but merely pointing out that such investigators do exist that have nothing to do with TV shows.

How in the world do you make money effectively doing nothing?

Archived