Home

Parnormal Investigations

With what? or whom?

That ghosts don't exist I'm assuming.

You can go ahead and make a team Mandalore. Just realize that equipment costs money, and unless you make a show out of it or something you will effectively be spending a ton of money traveling from place to place and only finding things you've convinced yourself you've found. But, as long as you are comfortable making less than a McDonald's employee, go right ahead. Just know that eventually bills have to be paid.

Oh, and it is solid fact that watching television makes the companies money.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally Posted by Achilles

Indeed, because without people who aren't willing to examine things critically, how else are they supposed to make money? So go ahead and keep on watching their shows so that corporations will spend money to buy their marketing slots which will eventually end up paying their salaries. And do so with the knowledge that you've helped to make fooling people a way to earn a living.

While this is true, it's hardly noteworthy. Buying books, magazines and newspapers make $$ for publishers. Same for the movies. TV is but only one way to propagandize people. Universities do their own share of it as well, and for a lot more than you'll ever waste on your cable bill in the same time frame.

Frankly, when it comes to "paranormal tv", it seems like nothing more than just another entertainment vehicle. People like to be scared or intrigued by things, even when they know (or should know) better.

Indeed, because without people who aren't willing to examine things critically, how else are they supposed to make money? So go ahead and keep on watching their shows so that corporations will spend money to buy their marketing slots which will eventually end up paying their salaries. And do so with the knowledge that you've helped to make fooling people a way to earn a living. :thmbup1:

Isn't that exactly what western civiliasation is about? this idea is nothing new, anything and everything you buy is in someway duping you, be it from extortionate price markup to a slogan that suggests a certain thing does something, but really, it doesn't.

look up Capitalism matey.

this idea is nothing new, anything and everything you buy is in someway duping you, be it from extortionate price markup to a slogan that suggests a certain thing does something, but really, it doesn't.

Are you arguing that purposely trying to dupe people into believing that ghosts are real (and making money off of it) is no different from using bright colors and popular images on your box of breakfast cereal?

Should a con-man who sells old people fake insurance be granted the protection and status as an bona fide insurance salesman who sells actual insurance? I mean, they are both "duping you", right?

I have a better idea, how about an "apple-to-pseudo-apples" comparison. Tell me how "real" scientists in "real" labs doing "real" experiments to further "real" science fit into this "western civiliasation" of yours?

look up Capitalism matey.

Of course. I had completely forgotten that letting market forces dictate which goods and services are provided in the market place also meant that lying to people was acceptable. I must not have taken very good notes in all my econ classes. Thanks for the correction, matey.

i dissagree with the statement about Sci-Fi (or soon to be Sy-Fy) tricking people into thinking ghosts are real to get more viewers

Okay, great. Why do you disagree? Because it isn't true or because you don't like what I said?

i dont like what you said BECAUSE it isnt true

Okay, and because you didn't come to this conclusion arbitrarily, you must either have a very good reason for thinking that it isn't true or you have evidence which shows that it isn't true.

So could you please either share with me your very good reason or point me toward the evidence.

Like most people, I don't like being wrong, therefore if there is information that I should have but am not considering, please let me know what it is.

Thanks in advance.

well i have no concrete evidence ok i know thats all you care about and this is where you will stop reading. but here is the reason i believe the TAPS team is telling the truth is that they go in trying to DISPROVE a haunting and even if somthing happens they dont just drop everything and say oh it must be haunted and they are very reluctant to EVER label a place haunted and sometimes they get nothing at all. And even when they get something they try as hard as they can to debunk it.

I appreciate you sharing what you believe, but again, this doesn't show how what I've said isn't true.

The problem with trying to "disprove a haunting" is that it starts off with the conclusion that actually is such a thing as a haunting. Why are they trying to disprove a haunting? Why isn't the show about disproving miracles? Why isn't the show called "Leprechaun Hunters"? Because they start with the conclusion that ghosts are real and that hauntings do occur. THIS IS NOT SCIENCE.

You might want to consider checking out the article on TAPS here.

Also, here is a forum discussion about the show posted on the JREF site.

Clearly both these sources are skeptical, however if you want to be really honest with yourself about this, you will consider both sides before you make a decision as to whether to believe or not. So read what the skeptics have to say. If you don't like it, you can go right back to believing, just like you did before.

Not that I mind' date=' but you seem to be dragging this thread into forbidden teritory.[/quote']

I can't tell you how amusing it is that MtS starts a thread and I'm the one accused of broaching "forbidden territory". Something is definitely not right here. :)

Does anyone else like shows of this sort or interested in doing investigations. I know alot of the tactics and styles of investigations. I hope to eventualy start my own team for this sort of thing

Before you start your team, you might want to read this book: A Demon-Haunted World. The author gives the most valuable insight I've ever read on just how to approach this sort of investigation.

^^^Thank you for breathing some sensibility into the thread, Skin. :)

Oi, what about post #2 :p

Im amazed skinwalker is here... no one has linked the paranormal to the divine .......yet :D

Things must be reeeaaally slow in the Senate right now

lolz. well said Q ;)

ok sorry mabey i did call this a science but we arent getting anywhere youre not convincing me and i sure as hell am not convincing you

Indeed. This thread is going nowehere... Can I start drawing a curtain on it with this image.....

gbusters.jpg

mtfbwya

Wow, how did I miss this good nonsense?

well some of them are obviously staged everyone can agree on that but a few of them show things that are obviously true and i can tell just by the way they react wnd the way they go about it i know that will convince no one but that is my explination

So we're to believe it... because you say so? That's really not a valid argument (nor is it sound).

Its all a bunch of nonsense (no offense).

One of the first things I agree with you on - except I realize that the OP takes offense.

well i can see im not convincing anyone

Perhaps because you've provided no empirical evidence nor an actual argument as to why you believe these things. Perhaps because you refuse to think critically when counterarguments are presented.

I'm not sure which.

I STILL dissagree

I know you are but what am I?

i dont like what you said BECAUSE it isnt true

That's all well and good. Could you please give a logical syllogism for us to discuss instead of yelling "Nuh-uh" in every post? Thanks in advance.

ok sorry mabey i did call this a science but we arent getting anywhere youre not convincing me and i sure as hell am not convincing you

^^See above. You refuse to think critically and refuse to provide an argument, and thus, neither party is able to change their opinions.

_EW_

PS Awesome thread :thmbup1:

Archived