Home

Parnormal Investigations

ok now im the idiot i see why but im still not happy [sadface]

Don't fret the haters.

I'm very much the skeptic and rely on an evidence-based, rational world-view, but I didn't always.

Some of us overlook the fact that its very easy to find significance and wonder in mystery to the point of choosing to imagine a "truth" behind the magical, the supernatural, and the paranormal. When I was in my teens and early twenties, I fancied myself an investigator of UFOs. Those who've seen me debate UFO nutters in the last few years would probably be surprised to hear that and those with whom I've debated UFOs, ESP, ghosts, and religion with in those same years would be forgiven to disbelieve me when I say I once held belief in each or at least held a position that there was significant truth in them.

It was through books like the one that I recommended (along with a few others) that I was able to arrive at my own worldviews, however. I read books by proponents of pseudoscience and the paranormal as well as those by skeptics and rationalists beginning in my twenties and finally arrived at a point where I can truly say I've made up my own mind regarding pseudoscience, the paranormal, religion, etc.

I recommend strongly that you don't take your pastor's word (assuming you have one), your parents' word, your friends' word, or the word of any one author or television show (certainly not a show on channel that includes the word "fiction" in it such as the "SciFi" -science fiction channel) for it all. And I certainly do not recommend that you take my word for it -or anyone else.

Read Carl Sagan's book above. Read books by believers in the paranormal. Read books by people like Neil deGrasse Tyson (Death by Black hole). Learn how to think for yourself and arrive at your own decisions regarding the supernatural and the paranormal.

I'm confident that, with an education, you'll come down on my side of the issue. But if you don't, at least you'll be far smarter about it all then you ever thought you would.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived