Home

U.S. Forces pull out of Iraqi cities

JediAthos

As part of the security pact signed between the U.S. and the new Iraqi government U.S. troops left Iraq's major cities over the last 24 hours and turned security in those cities over to Iraq's new army and police forces. U.S. troops have pulled back to bases outside of the cities stating they will only return if asked by the Iraqis.

This seems like a good thing to me, and an important step in giving Iraq back to its people. Do you think it will hold up? or will U.S. troops have to reoccupy the cities some time in the future?

US forces are pulling out of the cities, not necessarily the country. IIRC the talk has become w/drawl of "combat forces" not complete w/drawl from Iraq. Important piece of parsing. From what I've heard said since the election, it may look more like our situation w/the Saudis or S Koreans. A "tripwire" sized force will stay in country, but away from the everday view of the general public. Should Iraq become destabilized to the point of being "lost", it'll be on BO's watch. Don't think he wants to be saddled w/that millstone, especially if it happens before 2012. He's got enough domestic problems.

Well, lets see if a country that has been unstable since the beginning of man can finally find some stability.

I'm going to put my money on... no. I'll go ahead and put my money on "No" for the rest of the middle east as well.

At till the older generations die off, as it seems the younger generations in the area are a little more reasonable.

I'm sort of on the same page as you urluckyday. I was in favor of removing Saddam's regime (not because of the supposed nukes but because of the insane human rights abuse there), but unfortunately we allowed the situation there to deteriorate so badly and frankly we should have probably secured Afghanistan before assaulting Iraq so we wouldn't be fighting on two fronts. However it looks like appointing Gates and having the troop surge did the trick.

I am glad that President Obama did not order an instantaneous troop withdrawal. Obviously he has seen the importance of having a stable, functional US ally in the middle of the region. Sure, we might not be on the best of terms at the moment but in the long run I think the Iraqi people will forget the foolish mistakes we made and remember us for the freedom we have helped them to find.

Archived