Home

Improving TALES OF MONKEY ISLAND!

Guy.brush

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But in Full Throttle you could always try again. I always thought they meant a Sierra-like death where you do something stupid and die. That's it, game over for you! Full Throttle let you try again a few moments before your "death". You could really die in the Indy games though.

I disagree, the final section of MI2 with LeChuck on screen was the goofiest. Do I need to remind you just how that voodoo doll got made? and what happened after that? XD

Whoa! The sequence had humor like usual, but it was still immensly creepy! Not really scary, although I remember jumping a few times when LeChuck did his surprise attack when I was playing for the first time, but the creepiness is there.

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
Guybrush finds the skeletons of his dead parents
and the whole ending was so surreal and surprising that it totally creeped me out. Made me think of LeChuck in a new light.

By the way, is there actually someone here that hasn't finished the Monkey Island games? I tend to be really careful with spoilers anyway...

"I thought you couldn't die in LucasArts adventure games" when a couple of years back you could die in Full Throttle.

Ahh right, I assumed you were on about the scariness of the game like the rest of us XD

In hindsight, probably should have quoted him in your first post but nevermind :) I'm sure he's aware of these anyway. It is still said that you can't die in LucasArts adventure games regardless of this. Because it just doesn't really count. A better example would have probably been Maniac Mansion...

I don't think that the death really counts if you have a "try again" button or just start right back where you left off. That certainly lessens the paranoia and need for carefulness that you would have in a game otherwise.

Just about every later Sierra game had deaths still later on in their adventure era, but they all had try again buttons by that points.

Really what I'm trying to get at, is MI2 added that level of stress and fear without the pressure of starting over. That's gotta be tough to do.

The music in LeChuck's fortress on the Amiga version gave me goose-bumps... It's weird how the iMuse thing tried to "evolve" the music as it looped, it always sounded best on the first time round, if you ask me.

Being chased around by LeChuck WAS scary. There was no obvious escape, it was quite tortuous!

When I was little King's Quest 1 and 2 used to scare the **** out of me.

The thing is though, a lot of good adventure games, have a sort of movie quality to them, which can make them scarrier than a recent zombie game or something.

Sometimes it's just a really good combination of some sudden event and creepy music.

Also, in Fate of Atlantis, when the statue in the map room in the labyrinth begins to move. It always startles me, every time.

I remember being freaked out when I saw the guard at Marley's mansion dressed up as LeChuck.

Years later, I played through the game again and realised I had initially missed the best joke in the game as Guybrush turns a subtle shade of red when he begins to undress in full view.

Archived