Home

Live Action Star Wars TV Show?

Fredi

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As far as I can remember, they've always said that any live-action series would be set between the Trilogies.
True.. just wishful thinking on my part ;)

But if it is more focused on smugglers and gangsters and the like, I think that would be great.
Definitely! And from the mention of the underground bosses/drugs/prostitution bit (though just descriptor words for the article I'm sure).. I'd say it will be more attuned to that seedier line. At least on a grittier path than we've seen before.

Then there is the $50,000 cost per episode that needs to drop before this can even get started.
True enough.. but hell, stick the Star Wars name on anything and ad revenue will pour in. Networks will fight to carry that brand. Like it or not, The Clone Wars pulled Cartoon Network to the top of all animated networks and Guinness World Records awarded it "the highest rated sci-fi animation currently on television". I don't think cost would be "too" big of a factor as long as it carried the Star Wars name.

True enough.. but hell, stick the Star Wars name on anything and ad revenue will pour in. Networks will fight to carry that brand. Like it or not, The Clone Wars pulled Cartoon Network to the top of all animated networks and Guinness World Records awarded it "the highest rated sci-fi animation currently on television". I don't think cost would be "too" big of a factor as long as it carried the Star Wars name.

I agree. GL hasn't killed that goose yet. I'm sure that when it gets to the point of flogging a dead horse, they'll still squeeze more $$ out than many an original concept show.

But if it is more focused on smugglers and gangsters and the like, I think that would be great.

Yeah, I could get into that. I'm more interested in wretched hives of scum and villainy than anything involving the Jedi at this point.

I just can't get over the fact that it seems most Star Wars fans hate Jedi...

It's like saying "Yea, I'd go see the new X-Men movie, but the Mutants have just been done too much. I love the universe they created for it, though. I just want a movie without Mutants in that universe!"

I just can't get over the fact that it seems most Star Wars fans hate Jedi...

It's like saying "Yea, I'd go see the new X-Men movie, but the Mutants have just been done too much. I love the universe they created for it, though. I just want a movie without Mutants in that universe!"

Well, originally SW had very little do to with the Force and Force users. Actually, as much as telekinesis, mind tricks and lightsabers were cool, the firefights in land, the dogfights in space and the Galactic Civil War - which had more of the previous two than any Jedi/Sith action - were the selling points for me back in the OT days. And I'm sure many people would agree.

I'm certain most people are ok with seeing Jedi waving sabers around (although that should make little sense on the timeline they've chosen (then again, after TFU and some comics, maybe not)); what they're asking for is that the series is not centered on the Jedi or Sith, instead focusing on the riff-raff of the galaxy and other minor groups.

Its gonna be in about 10 years, and its gonna be bad, and its gonna screw continuity, and its gonna divide fans... Its just... Gonna... Suck.

George Lucas' Star Wars is now garbage, Its like all along he wanted to be Walt Disney, but people with integrity pointed him in the right direction... I dont believe for a second that this supposed Live action show will be about Criminals drugs and Prostitution in an Original Trilogy setting, It will be about a small boy who loses his toy wampa, but a kind older bearded man tells him about the magical fairy people of Nolnoidia, and they all lived happily ever after, and some politics, and a Gungan.

I dont believe for a second that this supposed Live action show will be about Criminals drugs and Prostitution in an Original Trilogy setting, It will be about a small boy who loses his toy wampa, but a kind older bearded man tells him about the magical fairy people of Nolnoidia, and they all lived happily ever after, and some politics, and a Gungan.

Ain't that the truth... Hell they took Spice outta Star Wars Galaxies, because it was kinda sorta a drug reference. They made a kinder gentler Han who's reacting to a shot instead of shooting first. They put JarJar Binks into the movie...

And to those that think it's strange that those who love the OT tend to not like Jedi, time how much screen time sabers get in the OT. There was far more space action and blaster action than saber action.

And to those that think it's strange that those who love the OT tend to not like Jedi, time how much screen time sabers get in the OT. There was far more space action and blaster action than saber action.
I also think it's partly because the prequels destroyed the mysticism surrounding Jedi. The OT used the exposure of lightsaber fights and force attacks scarcely, while the prequels completely destroyed the myth, from the revelation of midichlorians to battles with hundreds of Jedi fighting beside troopers. It made the appearance of Jedi less special.

I think it's a good idea for the Live Action series to leave out Jedi and Sith, since it's been overexposured and is just one part of what makes Star Wars cool.

@CAD: I may have interpreted it wrong, but I was under the impression Lucas created his own studio as not be dependent of other studios who would curb his creativity (heh, yeah, I know) and that he would continue to do so with all his projects, and that both the funding and the revenue would be in Lucasfilms' hands.

Well, originally SW had very little do to with the Force and Force users. Actually, as much as telekinesis, mind tricks and lightsabers were cool, the firefights in land, the dogfights in space and the Galactic Civil War - which had more of the previous two than any Jedi/Sith action - were the selling points for me back in the OT days. And I'm sure many people would agree.
Totally agree. When I was growing up Han was the coolest because he had the ship and got the girl. Everyone wanted to be X-Wing pilots. In the winter we pretended we were troopers on Hoth. Most people had never heard of the Sith, and at best only knew that Vader was one.

I like Jedi as much as the next fan, but to me and many older fans, there is a lot more that makes Star Wars cool than Jedi. That is why I don't really agree with the X-Men analogy.

(This might be slightly off-topic, sorry if it is)

I'd like if Lucas actually moved foward (whether that's more films or a tv show) from the OT as opposed to hanging around this PT/OT time period.

The way I see it he could jump foward 20-30 years in the timeline from RotJ and do something there. The actors from the OT are only going to be around for so long before that's no longer an option so I think George should move on in the timeline with these characters while he still can.

(To keep it slightly more on topic): I agree that there doesn't need to be a huge focus on Jedi in any of the SW media. They're one group in a entire galaxy full of many different kinds of beings, the Jedi are intresting but they aren't the only intresting part of the SW universe in my opinion.

I think we already got most of the info from this. Besides, "on it's way" when it's effectively on hold right now? Misleading indeed.

Edit: A new Star Wars series has been announced, though. Star Wars: Detours is another TV series that's going to exist next to the Clone Wars series. No details on what's it about, though as IGN speculated, it might be Seth Green's comedy series.

A live action SW series that focuses on the 'scum and villainy' that the prequels largely lacked? Yes please.

A sci-fi show influenced by Westerns, with rogues with hearts of gold, crime lords, bounty hunters, and rare people with mysterious powers hunted by an evil empire? Sounds like Firefly. In fact, take Firefly, make the necessary changes to names, tech, and creatures to fit into Star Wars, and they've got the perfect formula for a SW tv series.

A live action SW series that focuses on the 'scum and villainy' that the prequels largely lacked? Yes please.

A sci-fi show influenced by Westerns, with rogues with hearts of gold, crime lords, bounty hunters, and rare people with mysterious powers hunted by an evil empire? Sounds like Firefly. In fact, take Firefly, make the necessary changes to names, tech, and creatures to fit into Star Wars, and they've got the perfect formula for a SW tv series.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that they could just bring Firefly back and have a great TV series :D

Archived