Home

LEC Monday announcement

Benny

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, sticking them up on steam doesn't require much effort imho.

Maybe not, but they never did anything like this before!

And they have been showing real love for the classics since he got appointed. This is just another step to reviving these franchises!

Both of which are free.

I use Steam mainly for pc demos and have no issues with it whatsoever. And the free stuff they give you like being able to play certain games for just the weekend (i.e Team Fortress 2).

I know it's free. I just don't want it:P

Having to sign up for something and install something to play something unrelated still sucks.

Well, I hope they start putting there games on XBLA too, can't wait for monkey island next week! Nice to see them putting their back catalouge up, but imagine if these were announced as "in the works" for SE editions. Oh well...

And yes Irishmile, I think not showing Monkey Island 2 there is a good indication of a SE version ;)

Can't wait! Next week can't come soon enough!

Not to mention steam is probably the biggest digital distrubution service there is for pc games.

Which = more sales, which in turn = maybe Monkey 2 special edition.

For myself tough, the price is very important.

I haven't bought anything off steam since the crazy price change for us in Europe.

Not that I've used steam much anyways, but if that's the only way to buy monkey SE I'll use it to show my support.

but if that's the only way to buy monkey SE I'll use it to show my support.

As ThunderPeel pointed out:

The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition will be made available on Xbox LIVE® Arcade for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, and PC via Steam and OTHER online distribution channels.

Seriously though, I would like to know how much the Secret of Monkey Island SE would cost? 1200 ms points? (£10?)

C'mon LucasArts! I only have 2400 ms points and the other 1200 msp is going to Marvel vs. capcom 2!

Awesome, this means more people will get into Adventure games and there will be a bigger market and therefore more games. That dry spell was just an adventurey hiatus after all! This is great news :D

I don't doubt that a lot of unfamiliar people will get these, especially if they're cheap. Build it and they will come.

Good news!

I replied to LA's twitter with this message:

"@lucasartsgames Will the prices be equal all over the world? I don't want to see any $1 = 1€ bull**** from you."

And I got this response:

"lucasartsgames: messaging to avoid swearing on our main Twitter feed. To my knowledge, you won't see such BS from us :)"

Looks like wee will get fair prices in EU :)

I think the absence of Monkey Island 2 on that list is a pretty good indication that they might be saving it for a Special Edition release.
I was thinking this as well, as well as perhaps Day of the Tentacle.

I'm pretty happy with the announcement, and it's pretty much what I expected. I will definitely get a few of those games; not played Loom or The Dig actually. And I love Steam so I was glad this was the platform they chose to release on. Looking forward to see what others they will release in the future.

I was thinking this as well, as well as perhaps Day of the Tentacle.

I'm pretty happy with the announcement, and it's pretty much what I expected. I will definitely get a few of those games; not played Loom or The Dig actually. And I love Steam so I was glad this was the platform they chose to release on. Looking forward to see what others they will release in the future.

Yep, that was my first thought too... but on second thought, they might hold MI2 back until after SOMI:SE is released... otherwise people might get confused as to why there's MI2 available, while MI1 isn't.

Still, I'll keep my hopes up to see an MI2:SE eventually.

This is pretty boring news. It's sort of a buzz kill, because with the hype I was hoping for another special edition announcement, but eh, I guess those new to the games and also have Steam will be happy.

I really have no idea why companies who aren't dead in the water didn't get on this rerelease stuff through digital distribution channels a lot sooner. I mean you can actively fight piracy of your games and profit from work decades ago at the same time with little effort.

This is certainly a lot better than the 15th or so rerelease of the first 3 Sonic the Hedgehog games.

I don't why there are a few people here who are less enthused and are having a "Big Whoop, it doesn’t benefit me or affect me" attitude. This is both HUGE and GREAT news. LucasArts are re-releasing their old catalogue for newer systems which will hopefully get a new generation of gamers who don't have ScummVm or didn't grow up with it like we did. This is something I've personally been waiting for years.

Did anyone truly think this was going to be a new adventure game or SE this soon? They have to test the waters and we have to be patient and buy the SE buy the re-released games. I have a feeling more will come whether it be more SE's, more adventure games. But we have to be patient

I just hope this leads to more games being re-released. I'm a huge LucasArts fanboy but I always loved Return To Zork, Gabriel Knight: The Beast Within and Return of the Phantom and playing them again without DosBox would be fantastic for myself and others.

This is great news we should celebrate.

I don't why there are a few people here who are less enthused and are having a "Big Whoop, it doesn’t benefit me or affect me" attitude. This is both HUGE and GREAT news. LucasArts are re-releasing their old catalogue for newer systems which will hopefully get a new generation of gamers who don't have ScummVm or didn't grow up with it like we did. This is something I've personally been waiting for years.

Well, I did explain why in my earlier grumpy™ post. That is your why.

Did anyone truly think this was going to be a new adventure game or SE this soon?

Yes, why not? Nintendo has been in the business of rereleasing everything they have ever made with minuscule to no updates for years. With ScummVM being one of the most easy to use emulators to play old LucasArts games and other assorted adventures ever, it's just not as exciting, except that now it's official.

I just hope this leads to more games being re-released. I'm a huge LucasArts fanboy but I always loved Return To Zork, Gabriel Knight: The Beast Within and Return of the Phantom and playing them again without DosBox would be fantastic for myself and others.

Well Sierra died and LucasArts just got mismanaged. The question is, why hasn't this stuff already been kept and print and available for years like it has in Europe? I mean I know why, but in my opinion it's just something LucasArts should have already been doing in the first place.

So yeah, good news, but not something I would celebrate on.

The FM Towns version of Zak McKracken should be committed to Steam at all costs, it really is the definitive version.

It would be hilarious if they did that and in the process accidentally committed the version with the anime eyes.

It would be hilarious if they did that and in the process accidentally committed the version with the anime eyes.

That would be great, they should provide a switch to go between the sixteen different versions and make the casual gamers how insanely dedicated and... insane... Lucasarts adventure fans are.

It also provides Lucasarts and Steam a chance to create the definitive Last Crusade, the VGA version has EGA elements and the FM Towns version has unique VGA elements, it's all a strange brew but with a little hunting, they can piece together the full VGA version.

Irishmile, I doubt MI2 wasn't included because they were waiting to release it in SE format. In fact, the smart thing to do would be to release it now so that people would think "wow, this game is awesome" and then when they announce the SE of it, people who played it on Steam will be like "oh cool, I love that game!".

I reckon they'll probably make it available shortly after MI:SE is out (for continuity's sake).

Archived