Home

level cap removal...

shane2243

im playing through kotor 1 again and am playing with some extra mods from last time, like the yavin 4 one, having completed that i was level 15, that was the first planet i completed and i am about to complete korriban (im in naga shadows tomb) and im already level 17, i estimate ill be leve 18 by the time i go to a new planet and level 20 by the time i complete that. can i remove the level cap at all or atleast highten it to say level 30?

thanks in advance.

No. It's harcoded. As a search would have revealed.

i did several searches and nothing came up (i used like 4 search engines)

it was all stuff about how tsl has a massive level cap and kotor's is rubbish.

if i cant edit that, would there be a way of adding an npc that when you talked to could perhaps sell you or trade you new feats and force powers?

i know i could create weapons and armbands and stuff for that but i'd rather make an npc for it.

thanks again.

if i cant edit that, would there be a way of adding an npc that when you talked to could perhaps sell you or trade you new feats and force powers?

Unfortunately, K1 doesn't offer script functions that grant the player extra feats and Force powers, so a merchant wouldn't work. The only way to get more is to change the number of feats/powers you gain every level-up. There are a number of mods that do that, a search at KOTOR Files should give you a list.

- Star Admiral

you certain its hardcoded. i managed to add more levels to nwn1 and nwn2 it was just exceedingly difficult to make it work properly. the reason i mention those two games is that both kotor games are based on the engine used in nwn and thus theoretically it should be possible to code additional levels.

years and years ago there was a mod out which claimed to add additional levels to kotor.

it is possible to make yourself a higher level with kotor tool, but in kotor one any level higher over 20 will cause a game crash when you change area.

kotor 2 allows this perfectly fine however.

canderous how did you try and code additional levels in.

you certain its hardcoded. i managed to add more levels to nwn1 and nwn2 it was just exceedingly difficult to make it work properly. the reason i mention those two games is that both kotor games are based on the engine used in nwn and thus theoretically it should be possible to code additional levels.

Theoretically, it should. But the operating word is based. So whatever you can do in NWN you probably won't be able to do in K1 or TSL.

canderous how did you try and code additional levels in.

I tried doing this with 2da files

Sithspecter was working on something like this in early 2008. I don't know if he is going to continue it or not. Here is what he posted;

I think I'm on to something. There's 2 different .2da files called exptable, and xptable. I modified exptable, and it would let me level up to level 33. But, I only specified it to go to level 23. Plus, it just crashed when I tried to level up because I hadn't edited all the .2da's that are involved with levelling up. Here is a screenshot.

what_now.jpg

:ugh:

Its hard-coded... sorry folks but all the 2da edits in the world won't make it work.

Well, that sucks. I was hoping to get KOTOR/TSL a little bit more like SWG, providing lvls all the way up to 90.

So how do you modify the number of feats granted per level up? Would it be possible to make a force power in spells.2da that grants more than 1 feat for level ups?

I don't normally post things like this, but I thought the people here might get a laugh out of it as much as I did.

88ed95efc03bcdcff9f12701fef4f96f4g.jpg

The level count is screwed up because I was toying with the Jedi level determination function, and somehow that resulted. The real character level is actually at about level 40.

It let me use the Level Up button though, and even followed the level progression rules. Using Auto-Level still made it crash. I think Auto-Level is always going to crash even with a cap remover then, unless its progression rules are defined somewhere that is customizable (one of the .2da's?).

Now I just need to find the ShowLevelUpGUI() function... I'm positive now that a patch there will remove the cap.

Oh, and editing the exe isn't illegal as long as it's for your own use. Distributing it would probably fall under the same terms as a modified BioWare model -- that is, prohibited, according to the EULA.

{Snip} Here it is that includes discussions of how to do it, please do not post hex editing exe instructions here. We are allowed to operate unofficially by LA because we know the line and do not cross it. -RH

I see the friendly neighborhood moderator chose to delete my post that poked fun at your apparent legal expertise. I shall try again, a little more respectfully.

Here is where you made the mistake, it was deleted because it isn't a topic that is allowed here. Legal discussions are also off-topic. -RH

If you want to argue that distributing modified executable files is illegal according to U.S. copyright laws, then in the same statement you are confirming that distributing all modified original or creative works is illegal, because the law makes no distinction in this case.

If you want to argue that modifying copyrighted work is illegal for personal use, well, that's a much more debated and much less commonly understood area. If you have any interest in this area at all, there are heaps of published opinions to be studied. May I suggest that you start here?

Consumers could be said to receive other rights by omission. In contrast to patent law, which provides the owner of a patent the exclusive right to “use” the patented invention, 200 copyright law provides the owner of the copyright no exclusive right to use the copyrighted work. One does not need the permission of the copyright owner to read a novel, study a painting, or look up information in a directory. [...]

Well, some news at last.

I now have a 100% working level cap remover for KotOR1. Even Auto-Level works!

I will be modifying the level progression .2da's to release a 40 level arc mod. Support for additional levels is unlimited, as long as they fit under 2^32 XP (4 billion).

I will also be working on a patching program, although I'm not sure that http://www.kotorfiles.com will accept it. (It may, since they already have exe patchers listed there.)

Not as you would likely presume, but legally as I believe. (Of course, the legality of it also depends upon the laws of the country you are in.)

It's strictly impossible to level up past 20 without either editing the .exe itself, or editing its representation in memory. KotOR checks if you are level 20 and won't let you level, no matter the experience point amounts used in the XP charts.

EDIT: The level cap value is actually placed on the stack, and I never thought to check how it's set. I'll go see if it's actually possible to set it outside the game.

EDIT2: I walked the call stack for hours and still didn't find where it's set. I'll try again a later day.

If you have edited the game executeable, KotORFiles won't accept it. I can tell you that for nothing.

Editing that file at all, or discussing it is not allowed here, as has been pointed out to you. As RH has said, we're allowed by LA to operate like we do, and nobody wants to compromise that arrangement by breaking their rules.

LA says no editing the .exe, which means LF says no editing the .exe.

In short, leave the exe alone!

Legally there is no difference between editing the .exe versus any other executable file format containing instructions for the CPU. DLL's are among these, and there are DLL patchers on the KotORFiles website.

However, if LucasArts did say that they won't allow editing of the .exe, and the .exe alone, then that's fine. I looked for a little while, and found no such statement. (The EULA doesn't mention the .exe either, by the way.)

I never expected (or even desired) hosting at that site, so it matters little either way.

Where does LucasArts actually say editing KotOR's .exe is illegal?

If this is just a matter of copyright law, we don't have anything to worry about. N** has mentioned the law makes no differentiation between modifying a game's .exe and any of its other files - publicly doing the latter has flown for around 5 years now, so why wouldn't the former?

Edit: N** you ninja!

I think people are just afraid that the lawsuit-happy LucasArts will suddenly "rear its head" and level a takedown notice for any shared .exe, whether it's a patcher or not. The ones who are saying it's illegal to modify for private use only I think are confusing the others' worries.

If they did issue such a statement, I'm interested in what they think about programs that modify the game's memory.

Interesting... is all I can say. Let's hope this all ends well for N** and the rest of us as well.

If it counts for anything, you can use the fake level-up glitch to go way past level 20 in kotor for xbox. I've gotten to "level 44" before, but of course after 20 you don't get to choose any Attribute levels or feats.

I don't know.. the level cap is such a mysterious thing, but it'd be interesting to remove it and become a lvl 300 consular or something, heh.

i imagine this would be a completely different story for an xbox patch. i just won't even go there.

Three-- three hundred!? I'd need to type up an XML generator to make the progression tables for that, otherwise it'd take years! :-)

I think an xbox mod wouldn't be such a good idea, unless you are ready to void the warranty on it.

Archived