Home

Prototype?

RC-1183

Ever played SpiderMan: Web of Shadows? How about the Hulk: Ultimate Destruction or The Incredible Hulk?

It plays a lot like them, only pretty violent and without the terrible combat of Web of Shadows. If you liked the Hulk games at and wished it gave you the ability to eat people then this is your game.

Beat it a week or two ago and loved it. It just isn't very complex.

I have. I'll say it like this: if you played Spiderman: Web of Shadows, then you know what to expect.

To be more precise, Prototype is essentially just a slightly improved version of Web of Shadows. It doesn't mean it's a bad game (I actually found it quite entertaining), but it's nothing revolutionary, or innovative.

Negatives (basically too many similarities with Web of Shadows, specifically the following):

- This game uses the same map as Web of Shadows, meaning WoS took place in Manhattan, this game takes place in Manhattan

- Prototype uses the same gameplay as WoS.

- Prototype uses the same basic plot as WoS - there's an infection that is spreading throughout the city and turning people into mindless monsters.

Positives:

- Good story (a lot better and more serious than in WoS), with a lot of cinematics.

- Free roam.

- Good action.

Anyway, my recommendation is to rent it, rather than buy it, 'cause it's pretty good (despite the negatives I've pointed out), just not that good.

I bought it and I'm enjoying it, but as has been pointed out the game play can be difficult to deal with at times. I'm not big on some of the various events you can do in free roam, but it can be fun to run around and trash the military and what not.

this game is just awesome in almost every way. i can't compare it to Web of Shadows because i haven't played that game, but i can say this: if both games are set in the exact same environment, then it should make sense that the two games are going to feel a bit familiar to each other (especially given how both characters move in the environment).

that said, Prototype is just flat out fun. the storyline can be confusing at first (since a lot of it unfolds one bit at a time), but the game also graphically links everything together in a so called "Web of Intrigue". its a nice touch that not only allows you to view the short cutscenes, but it also allows you to see how the story is weaved together. every little detail that you can think of gets covered in this complex but very compelling story. and if you like zombie games, this one has a ton of them (even if most of them pose almost no threat to your character).

the gameplay is even better. its an open world game (a la GTA), but unlike GTA, you play a superhuman character which negates the need to jack cars (tanks and Apache gunships, on the other hand, are fair game). there's a lot of little events that you can participate between missions that mostly play to the games strong points of the diverse array of fighting. other events include checkpoint races and gliding accuracy, which range from frustrating to fun, but that has more to do with the movement system being a little to open ended.

the missions themselves are widely varied and are a lot of fun in their own rights. you'll being doing a lot of stuff ranging from a couple of fetch quests to just simply kicking some military or infected behind (just don't forget about the boss fight sprinkles). the best part is that the missions are mostly very open ended. you can try a stealth approach (which is much easier than it sounds), or you just run in and kill everything; or you can take the middle ground. how you want to approach your current objective is largely up to you.

if anything lets the game down, its the somewhat dated graphics. the scenery is nothing spectacular, and really, the only thing that keeps this game looking at all fresh is the excellent animations from your character. everything else is a bit lackluster.

regardless, you'll be having way too much fun with the game to really care that much about the graphics. there's a lot of attention to detail if you look for it, and its just a great game in so many ways.

i'm still not done with my first playthrough, but i can tell that i should be close to the end. can't wait to see what happens. :D

if anything lets the game down, its the somewhat dated graphics. the scenery is nothing spectacular, and really, the only thing that keeps this game looking at all fresh is the excellent animations from your character. everything else is a bit lackluster.

You might want to know that those animations are also recycled from Web of Shadows. :(

^^^^

i've played some of inFamous. while fun, i just thought that being a shape-shifting bad-a$$ was way more fun than shooting lightning at everything.

inFamous did have much better graphics, though. then again, only when you're standing still. :p

I've played Prototype on my PC. Its a good game so far, but it is a bit repetitive as you go along. I'd recommend it to those who haven't played it, but it may not be a game you might like. I'd rent it first.

Is this true? And if I liked InFamous would I like Prototype to?

I've heard the same thing. While, I never played InFamous, I think its worth checking out both games first and see which one you'll like better. That is if you own a PS3.

Hey, been enjoying InFamous sofar on my PS3 and I've heard that Prototype is pretty similair to InFamous. Is this true? And if I liked InFamous would I like Prototype to?
Well in inFamous, you're basically Zeus, without the beard and the "lame" blacksmith making your lightning bolts. In Prototype you shapeshift and stuff, I dunno I thought inFamous was better so I didn't play much of Prototype, but stingerhs thinks basically the opposite of me and liked Prototype better, so it's probably worth it for you to give it a shot. Besides, playing more vidya is never a bad thing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just tried it, not too impressed. The concept of the game is terribly underused, the cinematics play like a bad comic book.

No effort is made to explain the world, such as why the military patrols the streets wearing fetish uniforms. Nobody in the world so much as blinks when Alex runs past them as fast as Ferrari, only reacting in shock and horror when he lands from a huge height. Also, strangely enough, Alex can harmlessly land jumps from skyscrapers, and is still damaged by bullets and rockets. Alex's disguises are a farce. The best other soldiers can do when you're tearing up skyscrapers dressed as a soldier is to point at you.

They only react when you actually start hitting people. I dropped from a skyscraper dressed as one, jumped over a wall before a dozen soldiers and they all pretend I'm invisible and "investigate" behind the wall. Is it normal for these troops to be jumping over seven-foot walls?

Alex's attacks too, are unimpressive. Perhaps the most fun part of the game is ripping up skyscrapers and gliding. The freerunning is handled well, I liked how Alex automatically jumps over obstacles and runs up buildings.

All in all, a roughly fun game that will frustrate anyone trying to extract logic from it.

Archived