Home

I Quit...

Q

...smoking, that is. After 20 years of averaging a pack a day I got so sick of the smell, the stains and the occasional coughing and hacking up black phlegm that I made up my mind that I was going to quit. I got a script for a pill called "Chantix" that is supposed to be the latest and greatest "stop smoking" medication and gave it a try. It took two months and $300.00(!) worth of Chantix, but I've now been smoke-free for three months and off of the meds for two.

The Chantix took care of the nicotine withdrawal so that all I had to concentrate on was breaking the habit itself. That alone wasn't too easy, and it took the first full month to stop smoking completely, by cutting down gradually. I have no clue how anyone could resist the withdrawals and break the habit at the same time without going crazy. I'd tried to quit on my own several times before and failed miserably. I can't believe that I'm not smoking any more. I hardly even miss it. I recommend Chantix wholeheartedly to anyone who really wants to quit. I feel great! :D

Oh, and to those who may have been disappointed by this thread's content after reading the title: I'll just leave it up to your imagination as to which hand gesture I'm making right now. :p

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do endorse it. It's expensive, yes, but it worked like a charm. No withdrawals. All you have to do is get out of the habit.

EDIT: If they could make a medication that worked this well on narcotic addiction, they could put an end to a lot of suffering in the world.

well done bud... I've been smoking for about 14 years, although I haven't got the stones to quit, I have gone down to 1-2 a day just to take the edge off, not quit but nearly lol! Better than a pack a day I guess :)

I'm a couple of years older than you are, Astro. :p

As expensive as cigarettes are now after the latest tax hike, I figure that I'm saving roughly $1500.00 a year by quitting.

The real test will come when I have my first beer after quitting, which reminds me that I haven't had a beer in 3 months, either.

But smoking is fun.

Yes. What with the amazing white teeth it gives you, the heavily reduced risks of emphysema, strokes, heart attacks and cancers - oh and the terrific smells you bring into any room upon entering, what's not to love?

Haaaaaay, waitaminute.

Many congrats on quitting, Qliveur. :)

I'm a couple of years older than you are, Astro. :p

As expensive as cigarettes are now after the latest tax hike, I figure that I'm saving roughly $1500.00 a year by quitting.

$1500 !! Now theres your phenom II TWKR and GTX 295 right there ;)

I am pleased it is actually you who is the old coot at techforums now. I declare myself henceforth one of the young n funky crowd :p

*imagines he has an iphone, flybutton jeans and chills at starbucks havin a latte with Brodie, Josh and Amber*

mtfbwya

I do endorse it. It's expensive, yes, but it worked like a charm. No withdrawals. All you have to do is get out of the habit.

EDIT: If they could make a medication that worked this well on narcotic addiction, they could put an end to a lot of suffering in the world.

chantix can cause suicidal behavior and "abnormal dreams" which i have been told are like going on an acid trip while you sleep.

Haha Im so glad they didnt have chantix when I was quitting, Id probly be dead now... xD

Of course I didnt really need any help either, I just tossed out the pack and stopped. Cold-turkey as they say. >.>

Anyway! Congrats on finally becoming healthier!

Yes. What with the amazing white teeth it gives you, the heavily reduced risks of emphysema, strokes, heart attacks and cancers - oh and the terrific smells you bring into any room upon entering, what's not to love?

a) I clean 3 times a day usually, my teeth are whiter than your sex offences list mate.

b) Cancer, heart problems etc can also be inherited - the last 4 male generations of my family died no older than 60 from cancer, and out of all of them only my dad smoked. He's coming up 62 and still breathing.

c)Smells? try a shower. Yes, you smell of the cigarette afterwards, but never more than about 5 minutes from my experience.

And social smoking is great. I challenge anyone else to tell me they've been smoking sat ontop of a surfaced submarine in the middle of the Atlantic.

Don't be hating smokers, it's a choice.

I don't want to be wrapped in cotton wool because something may be "bad" for you or dangerous. If people want to do it, yay for them, if they did and quit because they don't like it yay for them also.

We're all going to die anyway, except maybe Jae.

chantix can cause suicidal behavior and "abnormal dreams" which i have been told are like going on an acid trip while you sleep.

You just described a normal day for me without the meds, so if I did have any of those side effects I didn't notice. :p

And social smoking is great. I challenge anyone else to tell me they've been smoking sat ontop of a surfaced submarine in the middle of the Atlantic.

I don't want to be wrapped in cotton wool because something may be "bad" for you or dangerous. If people want to do it, yay for them, if they did and quit because they don't like it yay for them also.

10 points to Gryffindor. :thmbup1:

What a great reason to try it out! Even though i dont smoke! :xp: No seriously congrats on quitting smoking.:thmbup1:

Congratulations, Q! Your strength of will is admirable.

b) Cancer, heart problems etc can also be inherited - the last 4 male generations of my family died no older than 60 from cancer, and out of all of them only my dad smoked. He's coming up 62 and still breathing.

Nevertheless, your chances are radically increased, regardless.

c)Smells? try a shower. Yes, you smell of the cigarette afterwards, but never more than about 5 minutes from my experience.

Smoking is also known to dampen your sense of taste and smell; the smell of smoke clings to everything. Clothes, especially. And the smell of old smoke is worse.

No. Have you ever read something written 1000 years before the fall of Troy while not smoking? A cigarette does not make something cooler; just more expensive in several ways.

Say that again in 20 years.

We're all going to die anyway, except maybe Jae.

Yes; personally I'm rather keen for it to be later rather than sooner, you know? There's an awful lot to experience in the next 40-50 years.

If you want to smoke, fine; but don't kid yourself that what you're doing isn't self-destructive because all addictions are, to some extent. Some don't come with quite such a heavy price, though.

Archived