Home

I Quit...

Q

Great job, Q! I've tried getting my parents to stop smoking when I was about 7, but I realized they wouldn't. If only they figured out what you did. At least my dad doesn't smoke as much as he did...

And the smell of old smoke is worse.

Oh god, stale smoke.

A cigarette does not make something cooler; just more expensive in several ways.

Yeah, aside from the whole cancer and life thing, my mom drives all the way to Beloit, because the smokes there are cheaper than what they are here.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It kind of became a no-brainer once the cost of a month's supply of cigarettes began to approach that of a month's supply of Chantix. Cigarettes are >$4.00 a pack now. :whacked:

Bullets are cheaper and faster.

b) Cancer, heart problems etc can also be inherited - the last 4 male generations of my family died no older than 60 from cancer, and out of all of them only my dad smoked. He's coming up 62 and still breathing.
Although my father was a religious smoker, all of my grandparents smoked, and those that eventually suffered from a heart attack promptly kicked the habit. Sure, it might have had something to do with inheritance, but there's also the fact that they smoked like fishes and would drink liters of coffee a day that might have also contributed to their declining health. Either way, it isn't fairly promising towards myself, as it could have either been repetitive bad habits or genetic inheritance, but most likely a combination of both.
c)Smells? try a shower. Yes, you smell of the cigarette afterwards, but never more than about 5 minutes from my experience.
Try clearing out a chain-smoker's flat, where the whole room has thin fog of smoke; even the food, tastes awful due to the huge presence of lingering smoke.
And social smoking is great. I challenge anyone else to tell me they've been smoking sat ontop of a surfaced submarine in the middle of the Atlantic.

Don't be hating smokers, it's a choice.

I'm not opposed to smokers in general, but more or less the complete negative aspect of smoking, and how there's a general ignorance among smokers (partially due to the false advertising of tobacco) concerning tobacco products, and how they lower your lifespan.

I'm lucky my parents stopped smoking before I was born. It's rather strange thinking of them as smokers, when they're really living healthy now. Almost 20 years of smoking will still leave its marks, though, I'm afraid.

Anyway, congrats Qliveur. I know a few people who say they're going to quit, but I have yet to see it happen.

I'm lucky my parents stopped smoking before I was born. It's rather strange thinking of them as smokers, when they're really living healthy now. Almost 20 years of smoking will still leave its marks, though, I'm afraid.

Not to mention that a pregnant smoker doesn't do wonders for the son's health.

Yes. What with the amazing white teeth it gives you, the heavily reduced risks of emphysema, strokes, heart attacks and cancers - oh and the terrific smells you bring into any room upon entering, what's not to love?

Haaaaaay, waitaminute.

Many congrats on quitting, Qliveur. :)

Party pooper.

But smoking is fun.

Yeah tell that to someone like my Dad with stage 4 lung/rectal cancer... He quit near 20 years ago.

Until you've been doing it for 20 years. Then it becomes a real PITA.

I wish you luck Q, I hope you don't have any issues further down the line for the habit.

a) I clean 3 times a day usually, my teeth are whiter than your sex offences list mate.

b) Cancer, heart problems etc can also be inherited - the last 4 male generations of my family died no older than 60 from cancer, and out of all of them only my dad smoked. He's coming up 62 and still breathing.

c)Smells? try a shower. Yes, you smell of the cigarette afterwards, but never more than about 5 minutes from my experience.

And social smoking is great. I challenge anyone else to tell me they've been smoking sat ontop of a surfaced submarine in the middle of the Atlantic.

Don't be hating smokers, it's a choice.

I don't want to be wrapped in cotton wool because something may be "bad" for you or dangerous. If people want to do it, yay for them, if they did and quit because they don't like it yay for them also.

We're all going to die anyway, except maybe Jae.

I smell strong denial here, sorry but you can deny cancer, hawk showers and teeth whitening all you want but that smell and the stains are there and even more insidiously inside you from that habit.

Then when you are 64-65 sitting for a chemotherapy treatment once every 2-3 weeks wondering where your hair went and why you are losing weight so fast, maybe my message will hit home, unfortunately then it is usually too late.

So sitting on a surfaced submarine chewing gum taking in that moment would have been just as cool, would it not?

[/soapbox]

So sitting on a surfaced submarine chewing gum taking in that moment would have been just as cool, would it not?

[/soapbox]

Also playing with hoops and sticks is fun too yeah?

Watch any classic war film and tell me smoking isn't cool.

Hey RedHawke, don't stop him, he wants to be 'cool' now. Cool now, in pain as the cancer in his lungs metastasizes to this rest of his body later.

Looking 'cool' is an absolutely pathetic justification for taking cancer-causing carcinogens into your lungs voluntarily.

Watch any classic war film and tell me smoking isn't cool.
Maybe, but when you think about the greatest American war/western actor in such films as "The Longest Day," In Harms Way,” “The Were Expendable”… John Wayne - Lung and Stomach Cancer. It just does not look as cool.

Archived