Home

I Quit...

Q

Also playing with hoops and sticks is fun too yeah?

Watch any classic war film and tell me smoking isn't cool.

If the classics you're referring to are from before it was discovered smoking is unhealthy, then you really can't use that as an excuse, as nobody back then knew what they were getting themselves into.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
$1500 !! Now theres your phenom II TWKR and GTX 295 right there ;)

I am pleased it is actually you who is the old coot at techforums now. I declare myself henceforth one of the young n funky crowd :p

*imagines he has an iphone, flybutton jeans and chills at starbucks havin a latte with Brodie, Josh and Amber*

mtfbwya

lmfao, I knew you'd say something in that genre, but you're still not cool enough for an iPhone :carms:

Congrats Q, I quit too a few years ago, it's just too expensive and not worth the dirty looks in this "clean" society we have nowadays...

Congrats and good luck :)

And social smoking is great. I challenge anyone else to tell me they've been smoking sat ontop of a surfaced submarine in the middle of the Atlantic.
I don't go ontop (or inside) surfaced (or not) submarines but I travel to some pretty extreme places in the Arctic... Some people chose to light a cigarette almost right upon landing but the only cool thing around is the temperature. I much prefer to breath some fresh air and enjoy the view (and midnight sun in summertime) when I'm there.

Don't be hating smokers, it's a choice.
I don't hate them at all: they can smoke all they want - and deal with the consequences- it's their lives (as long as I don't have to inhale secondary smoke myself without consent which is very unpleasant... took my first and last cigarette when I was 14...it tasted so bad that I've never tried it again :migraine: ) I am still polite and tolerant enough to let smokers smoke in my house when they come for an meal or so but I totally fail to see the "cool" part of smoking.

D3's mention of the taste reminds me of something. Before you become addicted, cigarettes will most likely taste bad. Once you are addicted, whenever you're satisfying that craving by lighting up they taste very good. I noticed that once the Chantix took away the cravings, the cigarettes began to taste like crap again. That's a good indication of how strong addiction really is; it can make crap taste like candy. ;)

Thanks for all of the support, everyone. :)

Actually, it's the elimination of the cravings itself that changes the brain's perception of the taste. You're no longer satisfying a craving by smoking, and you're not getting that rush of relief, so the cigarette doesn't taste nearly as good as it did when you were craving the nicotine.

That's my take on it, at least.

Hey RedHawke, don't stop him, he wants to be 'cool' now. Cool now, in pain as the cancer in his lungs metastasizes to this rest of his body later.

While I wouldn't wish it upon anyone, I guess time will tell...

Looking 'cool' is an absolutely pathetic justification for taking cancer-causing carcinogens into your lungs voluntarily.

Word!

Watch any classic war film and tell me smoking isn't cool.

Are you actually saying to me that you are so insecure with yourself you need to let old movies tell you how to think of yourself as "cool"?

Are you actually saying to me that you are so insecure with yourself you need to let old movies tell you how to think of yourself as "cool"?

Troll'd.

Did i forget the [/sarcasm]? Of course not. I smoke because I like it. if you don't smoke and aren't willing to try, then you have no idea how it feels. I was quite anti-smoking up until about 16, from growing up with second hand smoke from both parents. Then I became quite passive in my opinion as i developed a sense of tolerance for other peoples choices. And now I smoke, because i accept that yes, it is bad for me, that's not what is up for debate, but I can't compare the great feeling from lighting up, be it with a beer sat in the garden at a pub, or just outside at 2 in the morning having a break from CoD.

And about the houses smelling of smoke? I smoke outside, no matter where I am. My flat is rented to me as a smoking allowed, yet I always go outside because the smell of *old* smoke is not nice at all. Even as a smoker, i support the smoking ban in England, because I agree that no-one should be forced to inhale someone else's smoke.

And the first cigarette is always awful, as was mine, because you don't know how to smoke it properly.

I am still polite and tolerant enough to let smokers smoke in my house when they come for an meal or so but I totally fail to see the "cool" part of smoking.

You shouldn't. I have a sign in my house that reads, "Thank you for not smoking." :D

Troll'd.

Sticks and stones my friend, sticks and stones...

Far be it for me to actually dissuade you TSR, I am merely stating the alternate to your misinformed postings about the worth of tobacco in the world. As you have seen I'm not the only one who noticed your posts.

I smoke because I like it. if you don't smoke and aren't willing to try, then you have no idea how it feels.

The "you don't understand it unless you do it" thing is a pretty thin defense. Other drug users use the same excuses by the way, it fails for them so it fails here as a defense.

I was quite anti-smoking up until about 16, from growing up with second hand smoke from both parents. Then I became quite passive in my opinion as i developed a sense of tolerance for other peoples choices.

Thing is with smoking you are affecting others with your "habit" even if you only smoke outside... unless you will not smoke if someone asks you too, even if they do it in the most rude way, then that's good and I can respect that.

And now I smoke, because i accept that yes, it is bad for me, that's not what is up for debate, but I can't compare the great feeling from lighting up, be it with a beer sat in the garden at a pub, or just outside at 2 in the morning having a break from CoD.

That great feeling can be gotten a myriad of other ways. And it is not really worth later on in life when you are taking Oxycodone like they are M&M's because your wracked with pain. The hair loss, weight loss, etc.

I see that suffering firsthand and trust me no amount of 'feeling' you get for a few seconds/minutes is worth that... never.

For the record my father was a healthy looking 64 year old when he was diagnosed, he was still working looking forward to his retirement and just went in for a small check up. You never know when the price for your 20+ years of smoking will come due.

But you are absolutely right it is your body and your choice.

cool - adj

Slang.

great; fine; excellent

cancer - noun

Pathology.

a. a malignant and invasive growth or tumor, esp. one originating in epithelium, tending to recur after excision and to metastasize to other sites.

b. any disease characterized by such growths.

If these two mean the same thing for you, then sure.

Hopefully I didn't quit too late. :whacked:

...I can't compare the great feeling from lighting up, be it with a beer sat in the garden at a pub, or just outside at 2 in the morning having a break from CoD.

That's because you're hooked, man. I'm not going to tell you that you should quit, though, because the only opinion that matters when you're addicted is yours, and you won't quit until you want to.

Good on ya, mate!

Ok, enough with the impersonation-that-is-probably-just-a-stereotype-of-Australians.

My best friend is trying to give the habit the finger, but does the stuff you used work to get rid of the habit work? If so I'll probably recommend him to it.

Go buy yourself a Cookie or two, my friend, that way in the future you can look forward to kickin' the eating habit!

I agree that smoking is a stupid choice, especially in light of all the things we've learned about it in the last 25+ yrs or so. I also can't stand it when anti-smoking (or other activity) nazis rudely go on about how unhealthy your habit is. Unless the only area you go to for a respite from work is a small enclosed area, use the enegry you'd have wasted to hector the smoker to mozy on somewhere else. On the other hand, I've no sympathy for smokers who want a "smoke-break" but can't get it b/c company policy is "no smoking". Have always found it a disgusting habit, so I never bothered starting it.

Archived