Home

New 4-page Interview from Games Radar that may make you want to sleep with me

Hallucination

Clickez-moi!

So, it's a new 4-page interview saying how awesome TOR is as well as how polished it is, calling it the next WoW killer and all that good stuff.

Bioware has released the following corrections on the information presented:

There are a few minor inaccuracies in the article; for example, we have eight (8) classes, not 6 and while class stories themselves are unique, you can share content with other members of your faction if you choose to (the "flashpoint" shown at E3 is a good example of that).

Discuss!

Edit: Watson's noticed that they refer to the ship used in the flashpoint from E3 as a 'Star Destroyer' and the ship they attack as a 'rebel freighter'. I'm going 'lolwut' just as much as you are.

Mayhaps, but it's good to know that Bioware isn't focusing on being the next WoW killer (at least for me).
True. They should aspire to make an enjoyable game that many people will want to play for a long time, but it should never be the goal to be "bigger" than WoW. You're bound to copy things from WoW you wouldn't want in your game in the first place.

I've talked to someone recently who played WOW a lot. He said that while it was some times fun, he soon got tired of the "kill ten rats" thing that TOR is being built to overcome. TOR is very likely to be successful if the fourth pillar/story element is as good or better than they are claiming. Even some guy that couldn't care less about storyline and just loves combat will be more likely to play TOR because a storyline will at least make the combat scenarios less repetitive.

As a past WoW player (no, I'm not saying Blizz killed everything and the game is the worst thing ever), I can say that WoW PvE was very much about the dungeons, and from the description of TOR's current state it seems the game is being built to be all one dungeon, or going from one dungeon straight to the next.

No new info, unfortunately. Looks like they were just late in getting their E3 preview out :)

They revealed that Sith works like WoW's Rogue class, attacks giving points towards finishing moves. Also the last paragraph says:

Where are the PvP arenas? Or the large, 25+ player raids? Or auction houses? Or, hey, space-combat? Vogel raises an eyebrow. “Oh, we have all that too. We’re just going to wait a little bit to show you that.”

That confirms PvP arenas, big raid dungeons, auction houses(player economy), and space combat. I hadn't heard any of that info at E3.

So, it's a new 4-page interview saying how awesome TOR is as well as how polished it is, calling it the next WoW killer and all that good stuff.

14 million users, billions of dollars of income, new content on a fairly regular basis...Why does every say WoW is dead? Nothing has killed it, and aside from "uber-leet pros" who get pissy every time their fireball crits for 1.2k instead of 1.23k, not enough players leave the game for it to ever be dead. People still play Everquest and Galaxies people.

Anyway, rant aside, I'd like to see some ya know, actual information instead of hollow boasting.

14 million users, billions of dollars of income, new content on a fairly regular basis...Why does every say WoW is dead? Nothing has killed it, and aside from "uber-leet pros" who get pissy every time their fireball crits for 1.2k instead of 1.23k, not enough players leave the game for it to ever be dead. People still play Everquest and Galaxies people.

Anyway, rant aside, I'd like to see some ya know, actual information instead of hollow boasting.

With the Chinese servers being down while they transfer to a new provider(and legal complications in switching over delaying the switchover), WoW is down several million players, since a big portion of WoW's playerbase is in China. The longer the switchover takes, the more likely those players are going to be to try other MMOs. Plus the legal troubles may end up with WoW being banned in China. It could be the beginning of the end for WoW.

What alot of it being in china? its still gonna be the biggest its th emost popular in america and in some parts of europe, they'd still be one of the biggest with just american server im pretty sure.

Though with China out of the picture, WoW's population is halved(maybe more than halved), which gives TOR a better shot at beating WoW. 5 million is slightly easier to beat than 12 million. :)

Though with China out of the picture, WoW's population is halved(maybe more than halved), which gives TOR a better shot at beating WoW. 5 million is slightly easier to beat than 12 million. :)

1) Can I see a source for the claim that WoW players are 50% Chinese?

and 2) Half of 12 is 6.

1) Can I see a source for the claim that WoW players are 50% Chinese?

It was widely reported a week or 2 ago, when WoW subscriptions dropped to 5 million from 11.5 or so.

Think about it... chinese servers go down for a month... Population drops from 11.5 million to 5 million.

What other explanation can there be?

edit - also, Blizzard licensed WoW to a chinese company called The9 for use by chinese players. being a public company, quarterly reports are released

http://www.corp.the9.com/news/2006/news_060810.htm

In the second quarter, Blizzard Entertainment’s World of Warcraft attained peak and average concurrent WoW users of approximately 630,000 and 330,000, respectively, in mainland China. As of June 30, 2006, over 5 million paid accounts have been activated*.

The footnote to that reads:

*Activated paid accounts represent the number of CD Keys that we sold to customers and have been activated by the customers to log-on to the World of Warcraft game in China.

Maybe in a world where Blizz doesn't like money they will forever lose a china server, they will find a way to get that much $15 or so every 2 months :p

Well Blizzard may have no choice. If the Chinese government bans it, Blizzard can't do anything about it. I hear some Chinese players play on the Taiwan servers, so you'd probably see the hardcore fans starting over on Taiwan servers. But most of the casuals and such wouldn't bother, and would just move on to another game(like the dozens of Asia-only MMOs).

But this conversation is kinda moot, since it's not like TOR will be released in China(at least not at launch, it'd be a while if you look at other MMOs). Those casuals who quit WoW won't be going to a new Star Wars MMO that won't be out there for a long while.

Also, here's the link to the legal issues in China that might result in WoW being banned there: http://www.massively.com/2009/07/14/china-investigating-potential-world-of-warcraft-upset-may-ban-g/

It was widely reported a week or 2 ago, when WoW subscriptions dropped to 5 million from 11.5 or so.

Think about it... chinese servers go down for a month... Population drops from 11.5 million to 5 million.

I did some (i.e. a lot of) looking around, and the idea that WoW is down to 5 million subscribers has only been made in a blog that cites no source, and Blizzard hasn't released figures on their number of players since the 11.5 million mark, nor have they ever released a geographical breakdown of their subscriptions. There is no proof that they're down 6 million players.

edit - also, Blizzard licensed WoW to a chinese company called The9 for use by chinese players. being a public company, quarterly reports are released

http://www.corp.the9.com/news/2006/news_060810.htm

In the second quarter, Blizzard Entertainment’s World of Warcraft attained peak and average concurrent WoW users of approximately 630,000 and 330,000, respectively, in mainland China. As of June 30, 2006, over 5 million paid accounts have been activated*.

The footnote to that reads:

*Activated paid accounts represent the number of CD Keys that we sold to customers and have been activated by the customers to log-on to the World of Warcraft game in China.

That might have been proof that there are a lot of Chinese players, but they don't say how many accounts are active, only how many were activated. Blizzard's own counts show active ones only.

Nope, not sleeping with you.

I know, you're crushed.

;_;

Okay, so since it's summer and I'm currently unemployed I decided to go and look at the numbers we do have: The amount of servers by region.

#Total Servers: 765

#Chinese Servers: 177

#US Servers: 237

source: http://www.wowwiki.com/Realms_list

Am I the only one who thinks that over 50% of the players being on 23% of the servers is a little bit off?

I did some (i.e. a lot of) looking around, and the idea that WoW is down to 5 million subscribers has only been made in a blog that cites no source, and Blizzard hasn't released figures on their number of players since the 11.5 million mark, nor have they ever released a geographical breakdown of their subscriptions. There is no proof that they're down 6 million players.

Well Blizzard only puts out press releases for population increase, not population decrease. Admitting that you've lost players is just admitting failure. Blizzard won't do that. So if WoW lost 5 million players, they wouldn't admit it, and we wouldn't know it. WoW won't go out with a bang, but a whimper.

Well Blizzard only puts out press releases for population increase, not population decrease. Admitting that you've lost players is just admitting failure. Blizzard won't do that. So if WoW lost 5 million players, they wouldn't admit it, and we wouldn't know it. WoW won't go out with a bang, but a whimper.

With its popularity I honestly think that it'll go out with a tidal wave of QQ when Blizzard says "Yeah, the servers are closing on Date X". ;)

With its popularity I honestly think that it'll go out with a tidal wave of QQ when Blizzard says "Yeah, the servers are closing on Date X". ;)

By that point, it'll have too few players who care. Like if SWG shut down tomorrow, no one miss it, since there's very few players who still like it. WoW wouldn't shut down unless it had so few players that it fell off the radar. Maybe TOR will help push it off that radar.

(And wow, we've went way off topic here, I have no idea how we got here.)

Archived