Home

Chess, Anyone?

Tysyacha

I am entirely new to the game and wondering if anyone on here plays it. :)

The first chess game I played happened when I was 9, and it happened, of all places and all times, after a session of Occupational Therapy (OT) at school. Because of my physical disability (cerebral palsy), after 30 solid minutes of sucking at sit-ups and push-ups and leg lifts and drawing perfect circles without a compass (yep, I had to try that, too), my therapist brought out the chess board. It proved to me that she actually thought I was smart, or so I thought back then. I played, and I lost horribly, but I always wanted to try again. I never got the chance until this past week, when I still lost. Twice. :)

My Uncle Wesley thinks that all I need is more practice! :D He's not the kind to say, "You don't have a very logical mind. Just give it up now. Good game." He's the kind to encourage me instead, no matter if I didn't win my 2 games.

So--does anyone here play chess? If so, are you the kind to NOT giggle at your opponent when they make a stupid move? If so, I'd luv to play ya! :D

Sincerely,

Patzer Tysyacha

P.S. Patzer = chess player who doesn't know what s/he's doing, but soon will

Litofsky and I share a game of Chess every so often on Skype and our skills are fairly equal, as far as I can tell. I've had my share of victories, and I'd reckon Litofsky's had about equal. Once played against Jonathan too, who happens to be an expert on Chessisistic matters, played one game with him and lost honourably. >_>

Always loved the worlds oldest turn-based military sim.

Always a fun game, despite the fact that I've only gotten to play five games in the past year I still have fun with it. Sadly, of those five, I lost four.

A fun variation on it is if you play with a 'play clock', basically you get a clock that has... let's say five minutes on it and you have five minutes, total, to make all your moves. Same with your opponent...

Makes for a desperate game. And, I think, a very fun one.

Edit: Skype is a free service that allows realtime computer to computer communications using text, voice, video, or both.

I play alot of chess, I'm not a Bobby Fisher at it, but I think I get along somewhat:D It's an awesome game and very good for the mind:) I have yet to play it online, I've always enjoyed the classic way of taking on your opponent face-to-face, so that way if the game isn't going right, you can call in a tactical earthquake:D

Excuse me for being so techno-out-of-it, but what's Skype? :)

What is Skype, she asks? What is Skype?

Harken to me, denizens of LucasForums, and listen well! Come one, come all! Lend me your ears, and listen... I will tell you of the Skype.

skype1.png

Skype is an IM client used only by the finest and most elect members of these forums (my own contacts list contains a mere 27... though there are a few more). There we communicate with each other in a number of chats (invitation only, of course) and perpetuate the elitism that runs rampant on these forums. We are the greatest cause of it, in fact (arguably, we may even be its direct cause!).

Skype is an experience quite unlike any other. There is truly no explaining it... it cannot be described, only felt. But the impossibility of communicating its exact nature aside... I will assure you that it is incredible. There is no other sensation quite like it.

For the curious, Skype is downloadable directly from here. My own Skype name, through which I may be contacted, is emperor_devon. I have tested the mettle of a number of prospective Skypers, and to the worthy I have granted entrance to our public (relatively speaking) chats... but to the unworthy, I say only this: beware. Beware. After all, Skype is wholly and entirely outside the jurisdiction of the LucasForums staff. They hold no authority, no voice, no power, within its demesnes. Newcomers that were found unworthy of entrance have been ruthlessly dealt with and driven away in the past. Take heed from this, prospective Skypers, take heed.

I like the way you think.

Read some of his other posts and you'll change your mind.

I play Chess every now and then, but I'm not what you'd call a great player. I have wins and losses and the ratio varies from time to time.

As for Skype, only used it once for testing purposes. Not many people use it around here, they prefer MSN or GTalk, so that's what I use too.

I learned to play when I was about 9 I think...my cousin taught me to play, and then soundly owned me for a couple of years until I got good enough to beat him.

We used to play in high school when, on rare occasions, we had a day in class where there was nothing going on, particularly in choir when my director was out.

I also played while I was in the Navy with the guys in my shop. That said it's probably been 5 years since I've played anyone. I certainly haven't forgotten how to play, but I couldn't guarantee I'd be any good either :)

Chess rocks, you win some you lose some, but it doesn't matter if you love the game. Chess is pretty much, if not all, about strategy. it does take practice to get the hang of it though. my advice: keep practicing! And if I find a good chess website, I'll PM ya and if ya wanna play, we'll play.

i used to play chess a lot in my earlier years of high school and a little bit in my senior year. it was always fun whether i won or lost.

i did start playing chess recently on a program that i helped to make (it was a team of 9 people). hehe, the AI we used was perhaps a bit too robust since we had it so that the computer would map out at least 5 entire games on every turn as it tried to figure out the best possible strategy. even coding it to be multi-threaded and compiled for 64-bit compatibility, the program could quite literally take a solid minute or two of computing before it would actually move (and we were using a Core 2 Quad!!).

most of us so-called "chess players" have yet to actually win in a game against that program. we haven't gotten a chess champion to try it yet, but we're pretty sure that it would give him/her a run for their money. :)

So--does anyone here play chess? If so, are you the kind to NOT giggle at your opponent when they make a stupid move? If so, I'd luv to play ya! :D

I absolutely love Chess - I try to play it silently, quite a feat for someone like me. But as much as I love it, I'm woefully out of practice as I've been rather busy in RL recently.

Litofsky and I share a game of Chess every so often on Skype and our skills are fairly equal, as far as I can tell. I've had my share of victories, and I'd reckon Litofsky's had about equal. Once played against Jonathan too, who happens to be an expert on Chessisistic matters, played one game with him and lost honourably. >_>

What the hell, Sabre! Why have you not asked me to partake of this tomfoolery? We must play a game posthaste (but not for a few days because I'm really busy right now :p).

I like the way you think.

:eyeraise:

What is Skype, she asks? What is Skype?

Harken to me, denizens of LucasForums, and listen well! Come one, come all! Lend me your ears, and listen... I will tell you of the Skype.

My username is accessible from my profile. Please, don't hesitate.

Bah! You're just jealous of my awesomeness!:D

:eyeraise: x2

_EW_

By the way, Dev, I have 50 friends :xp: but some of them are RL people.

I used to be very great at the game for my age group, but as I played the game less and less; I'd consider myself at or marginally above average. I don't know the majority of the opening moves 'bird's opening, queen's gambit, Sicilian defense, ext.' I opt for the King's opening and rarely alter my tactics for the first six moves.

I know of the importance of long-term strategic piece placement, but more frequently go for a defensive rather than offensive mindset. I hate knights... both in placing them and having opponents place them against me.

If you would get your gorram but on, Sabre, we could have more! :xp:

Actually, as of recent, I've taken a little shining to Chinese Chess (xiangqi, I believe), which utilizes similar pieces and a similar board, but has different pieces, etc. But it's always about the opponent you're facing. :p

heh, every once in a while I log onto yahoo and play chess online. I used to be pretty good, but i'm getting my @$$ wooped every time I log into the novice room. I'd play it more, but i'm not allowed to do it at work...

Heh, I remember that. I played Literati there quite a bit, it was something of a Scrabble clone.

Archived