Home

lucasarts best adventure game

gos

wich one is the best lucasarts game?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. wich one is the best lucasarts game?

• labyrinth
    • maniac mansion
    • loom
    • zak mckracken
    • secret of monkey island
    • indiana jones: the last crusade
    • indiana jones: fate of Atlantis
    • monkey island 2:lechuck's revenge
    • day of the tentacle
    • sam & max hit the road
    • full throttle
    • the dig
    • curse of monkey island
    • grim fandango
    • escape from monkey island

It's hard to rank them for me, but I'd say my top 3 are Grim Fandango, Monkey Island 2, and Sam & Max Hit the Road. Of course SoMI is up there too. Sadly there are quite a few on the list that I have yet to play.

If I had to pick one, it would always be Grim Fandango. No other game I've ever played has taken me to such a rich world with that level of atmosphere before and after. I'm still hoping it will be trumped one day, because Grim Fandango is one of the few games I had a hard time taking a break from.

I'd be very curious to correlate the voting patterns of this poll to the "which LucasArts game did you play first?" poll that ran a little while ago. I wonder if a lot of preference is explained by nostalgia.

And my first LucasArts game was Maniac Mansion... heh. My cousin got it brand new when it came out, although we never got very far. I played the rest as a they came on PC out for the most part. Although I mean considering I started a lot of the games at 7 years old, I frequently had many adventure games going on to completion up to 2 years, until maybe the 3rd or 4th grade, when my comprehension skills of the world around me started making puzzle solutions click.

Toonstruck is effing brilliant. The art style + the big 'maps' + the voice acting + Christopher Lloyd was mind blowing at the time! I rate it very highly. Shame it's an absolute arsehole to get running on modern computers, even with dosbox.

Really? You liked that game a lot? I played that game a few times through in middle school and while it was okay, I found the puzzles kind of dumb and the dialogue tended to go on forever to the point where I could spend a whole hour of gameplay just trying to talk to two different characters.

While the art and animation was good, I feel like a lot of the cartoon wackiness in the game was more cliche and done better in it's modern TV counterparts: Ren and Stimpy or Itchy and Scratchy. Christopher Lloyd was great though.

I'd have to say that my favorite is Fate of Atlantis, the atmosphere is just wonderfull. And the thrill of discovering Atlantis is great. Really good story and loads of replay value. The only thing I don't really like about this game is the backtracking in the Atlantis maze.

I'm glad to see someone giving Fate of Atlantis some love. It's gone up in my estimation every time I've replayed portions of it, and now it's one of my all-time favourites. Still not the favourite of mine - I think that's a toss-up between Monkey Island 2 and Grim Fandango - but it's up there. The atmosphere is absolutely fantastic, and the exposition is the best you'll get in a LucasArts game. Possibly even better than Grim Fandango.

The first game I played was Secret of Monkey Island. Our neighbours had given it to us and I just remember being transfixed by this awesome game. It certainly helped that I already had a love of pirates. The characters and world presented were so rich and colourful I could play this game for hours on end and never get bored. I think this game and Loom cemented to our family that LucasArts was something special and I never looked back.

I'm glad to see someone giving Fate of Atlantis some love. It's gone up in my estimation every time I've replayed portions of it, and now it's one of my all-time favourites. Still not the favourite of mine - I think that's a toss-up between Monkey Island 2 and Grim Fandango - but it's up there. The atmosphere is absolutely fantastic, and the exposition is the best you'll get in a LucasArts game. Possibly even better than Grim Fandango.

DUDE....who are you!?:confused:

1. Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge

2. The Secret of Monkey Island

3. Grim Fandango

4. Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis

5. The Curse of Monkey Island

6. Full Throttle

7. The Day of the Tentacle

8. The Dig

9. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

10. Sam & Max Hit the Road

11. Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders

12. Loom

13. Maniac Mansion

144. Escape from Monkey Island

Wow, I would rank them in the EXACT SAME order!! Even placing EMI at 144 :D

Although I never played Zak, and could never finish Maniac Mansion. But my first 10 would be the same, although I'd place Fate over Grim.

Comparing LA's adventure games is like comparing sex to alcohol; it can't be done.

Either way, I'd probably have to rank CMI as my favorite, partly due to the fact that adored the art direction, especially the intro sequence. The experience was akin to watching any Disney animated film, but it was a game on your computer. That alone was stunning at the time, which probably made it most memorable for me.

Wow, I would rank them in the EXACT SAME order!! Even placing EMI at 144 :D

Although I never played Zak, and could never finish Maniac Mansion. But my first 10 would be the same, although I'd place Fate over Grim.

Yeah FoA and GF are a tossup :) I'm just realizing how lucky I am to have played them all, judging from some of the comments on here. About 5 or 6 years ago I went on a mission to buy all the missing ones.. well worth it. Nothing like a complete SCUMM collection on your shelf!

I guess the biggest surprise in my list in Sam & Max... I love them dearly but they just don't have the appeal of the other games for me. Not that I'll ever not buy a new Sam & Max title.

gamespot rated the dig for (4.5)!, the dig is a very great game i give it 8.9

sources: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/adventure/thedig/index.html?tag=result;title;1

I think if you were to compile a list of reviews of The Dig from when the game came out, Gamespot's review would be an anomaly. I personally rank it as the weakest of the LEC adventures (although I still think it's great), but I'm pretty sure its release was met with rave reviews. LEC also claims it to be their best selling adventure of all time, though the cynic in me credits Steven Spielberg's name for that more than anything else.

gamespot rated the dig for (4.5)!, the dig is a very great game i give it 8.9

sources: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/adventure/thedig/index.html?tag=result;title;1

I have never played the dig. I have heard of it but havnt played it. I like all the classics like DOTT, Maniac mansion, Sam and Max, and SOMI. They are all a lot alike. You know I dont like to much of the wierd ones like I have just discovered Toonstruck. I havnt played it but It is still a little wierd to me.

Here is my top list:

Monkey Island- 8.9

DOTT-8.9

Maniac Mansion-7.0

Sam and Max: Hit the road-9.0

Those are my top adventure games. I also like the Strong Bad games and the new tales of Monkey island but I didnt put those on there becasue they just came out and I am still playing them. :sbdance:sam::max::monkey4:

The only LucasArts adventures I don't really like are Zak McKracken and The Dig, and I admittedly haven't played Labyrinth. I'm not obsessively over Maniac Mansion or Last Crusade but I do like them.

Apart from those I love them all (yes, even EFMI) and could put a good case to any one of them being the best or my favourite. DOTT arguably has the most ingenious puzzle design, Sam & Max is arguably the funniest, Fate of Atlantis has arguably the best story and three different games in one, Grim Fandango is the most beautiful and the one that will never age, and the Monkey Islands have usually the best mix of all of these.

LEC also claims it to be their best selling adventure of all time, though the cynic in me credits Steven Spielberg's name for that more than anything else.

Oh I wouldn't doubt it. I see in some forums that people still seem to be under the misconception that Spielberg designed and wrote the whole game itself. I'm sure that's what the LucasArts marketing department was hoping would happen back when The Dig was first released.

Kind of like when they market bad movies based on producers because the public doesn't know any better.

Archived