Home

Steam vs. ScummVM

neversummer

Then why does my copy of Sam & Max sound totally different if I copy the data files to ScummVM or DOSBox and use MIDI? Not only that, if I have my MIDI device muted or disabled I still get music. Or if I change between Microsoft Wavetable Synthesis, soundfonts in timidity++ and Yamaha XG softsynth there is no difference whatsoever in the music playback, yet if I do the same in ScummVM/DOSBox it comes out sounding totally different.

This is the LucasArts Classic UK re-release (not the one bundled with DOTT).

Okay, that explains it then, it is 189mb. The interpreter must be doing something a bit different to ScummVM, since it sounds a lot better than MS softsynth in ScummVM. Maybe it adds reverb and chorus effects.

From what I heard, the Steam versions are simply the original games running through Dosbox with some pre-made, and apparently sub-optimal, configurations. I also heard that it is possible to run DOS games purchased from Steam in Dosbox by simply click and dragging the game folder on the Dosbox.exe file (which also removes the need to have Steam installed and running to play these games). Anyone tried to run the Steam games directly in Dosbox to see if it was possible to play The Last Crusade with adlib music rather than internal speaker? (Launch the game by typing: "Indy256 a")

In my opinion, the wisest choice would be to encourage LucasArts by buying the games on Steam but aquire/hold on the original games files so you can run the games with the most optimal configuration rather than the poorly configurated Steam versions.

As for which is better between Dosbox and ScummVM, it's 50-50 in my opinion: Dosbox runs more games with generally less bugs, ScummVM is easier to use, runs on more platforms, has more features and can run the FM-Towns versions... the answer depends whether you know Dosbox enough to configure games that require CDs and it also depends on the games themselves:

Zak and Loom I prefer to play with ScummVM since the FM-Towns versions are greatly superior.

The Last Crusade and Fate Of Atlantis depends whether you care for the Indy Quotient or not: Dosbox if you do, ScummVM if you don't. I've also heard the Fists path of FOA had some issues in ScummVM, not sure if these have been corrected. On the other hand, ScummVM allows you to save during the action sequences if you suck badly at them.

Full Throttle I play in Dosbox because the game keeps crashing in the old mine road in ScummVM, even with the latest version.

For MM, MI1, MI2, S&M and DOTT it's only a matter of taste as they work fine with both Dosbox and ScummVM, IMO.

I have yet to replay The Dig and CMI so I don't know for these two.

From what I heard, the Steam versions are simply the original games running through Dosbox with some pre-made, and apparently sub-optimal, configurations.

Where did you hear that? The original .exe appears to be bundled with both games, which would work fine with DosBox, I believe. Is that what you're thinking of?

• 2 weeks later...

I am playing the Steam version of FoA. I started in the Wits Path, and I have encountered a bug that is stopping me from finishing the game. In the submarine, when I use the IndyWear, I don't get the whip. This is a known bug? whithout the whip I can't continue in the Labrynth.. I would appreciate any help here.

Just to set the record straight, no game supported by scummvm will ever pass 98% compatibility. And that is if the devs have the original source code for the game. Without source they will never mark it higher than 95%. Nobody wants to claim perfection.

Bugs in LEC games supported by scummvm are scarce these days and I think thunderpeel is giving them an unnecessary bad rep. Scummvm is by far one of the best things to happen to classic adventuregaming in recent years.

Archived