Home

KotOR Comics

Gurges-Ahter

I just started reading the KotOR comic book series this week - I found a good deal on the omnibus editions 1-3 and I'm roughly half-way through the first volume. Aside from not being an avid comic book reader, I don't know why I waited so long to start reading these. I am so enthralled by the KotOR Era of the SW Universe that I should have dug my teeth into these a long time ago.

However, I have noticed some negative feedback regarding the series (on this forum and elsewhere). I am probably naive to the reasons why - like I said I don't read comics really at all - but so far I really am enjoying the KotOR comics. I've really only been introduced to a handful of characters (Zayne Carrick, Jarael, Gryph, Lucien Draay), but I am very intrigued so far.

Without providing spoilers, can anyone else offer feedback on their thoughts from the series?

Omnibus edition? As far as I know, the KotOR comics don't have Omnibus editions, just Volumes (6 being released so far).

On the comics itself: I like it. I love the characters, and it's an Era I'm very much interested in. I think a few problems people, me included, have with the series is that the quality of the art is inconsistent (they've used tons of artist, and not all of it was very good, in my opinion), that the story loses its focus for a time, getting sidetracked by other plots, and that characters created in the KotOR games (some get an appearance, you'll see), get fleshed out in a way not everyone is satisfied with. The latter is to be expected, I think. People made connections to these characters, filled in the blanks with their imagination, and get to scrap that when the writer decides something different happened, something less enthralling than they had in mind. Anyway, I think they could at least improve the art. Sticking to one, preferably those from the first couple of arcs, would be better.

Overall, I really enjoy the comics, though. I manage to ignore the little things that annoy me, and really enjoy everything else. I'm not exactly a comic reader myself (Next to this, I've only read the Legacy comics and Tales of the Jedi), so perhaps I don't expect much.

Omnibus wasn't the correct word - just the first that came to mind. I meant to say I had purchased Volumes 1-3.

I can understand disappointment associated with KotOR game characters having some sort of backstory that isn't as interesting as the game, or as the reader would have hoped - I just haven't gotten far enough to experience any of that yet. However, I tend to accept SW history as the writers intend it, not as I anticipate it, so as long as it doesn't contradict what I learned in the game I think I'll be ok with it.

Thanks for the feedback!

I see what you're saying now - Zayne looks like a totally different character at the point I'm at now, and both Jarael and Camper are more cartoonish. I guess it doesn't bother me a ton - I mostly care about the story - but I didn't recognize Zayne at all when I first started Volume II.

The Vector arc was where everything got all cartoonish, and I hated that. It's back to the normal art style now and while it's never been super consistent, I like it. Overall I've been very pleased with the series.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tobias - I found a local comic store that carried them and bought the first few - then I abandoned that idea and just bought the Volumes that combine the comics. There have been 6 volumes so far. Go to amazon.com and search for "Knights of the Old Republic Volume 1". I got mine for $3.90 plus shipping.

I've been really enjoying the series overall, and there are some great characters (the Covenant was great) and insights into that era relating to what we see in the games. However the art is downright terrible and cartoony in some cases, but at other times it is fantastic (Ching mostly). Overall definitely worth the read if you liked the games or are interested in that era.

I'm quite a ways into it now and I agree with Prime. The art isn't great, but for me that's not so important as I'm mostly interested in the story and background for the characters from the KotOR Era. If you like the games or the era in general you should definitely give it a read. Amazon.com has some great deals on the volumes from time to time so keep an eye out for those.

Well, yeah, the art isn't that important for me either, but the art in Vector really distracted me - talking about terrible, for me, there wasn't anything worse than that in this particular series. I'm glad the art recovered a bit in Volume 6.

Looks like I'm in the same boat as most of people here.

The comic series as a whole is quite entertaining, but I don't like the artist roulette per issue thing.

It gets distracting, its why I like Legacy a bit more. I don't hate cartoon art, but they should choose.

Though I think they need to get a new big running story. Now its all smaller arcs; I found the hunt on Zayne, far more interesting.

Lets hope for some more cameos.

Love em, collected them since day one.

Issue 22: Knights of Suffering, Part 1... Is a KotOR 1 fanboys wet dream lol, check it out if you haven't already :)

For the record I agree on the random Artist each week ruins the continuity of the line. I say Dustin Weaver and Brian Ching should share the load as there art best represents the Characters and setting.

I wish Dark Horse Comics would of continued with the SW: Tales of the Jedi

series. It's been years since they did anymore of them, I mean they could've of least focused on the character Nomi Sunrider for awhile.

Well that's the way it goes I guess.

Well, I can tell you that the stories definitely take place in the Old Republic era, but they're more about the ancient wars between the Jedi and the Sith such as: The Hyperspace Wars, The Freedon Nadd Uprising, and The Sith War.

You could say they are more like historical reference's or a prehistory to how everything got started concerning the Jedi and Sith. Some of them like TFNU and TSW take place about 40 years before the Knights of the Old Republic comic stories and of course, the game itself.

You can get the TOTJ comics in the graphic novel versions btw. Well, except maybe The Freedon Nadd Uprising...it's just 2 chapters, not like the others that had 6 or 7 - unless I'm mistaken, cause I never seen a graphic novel ver. of TFNU for sell anywhere.

It's been years since they did anymore of them, I mean they could've of least focused on the character Nomi Sunrider for awhile.
Due to legal issues, the name Sunrider can't be used anymore in Star Wars. I'm guessing that's why Nomi's been neglected, and why Vima didn't get a chance to shine.

Due to legal issues, the name Sunrider can't be used anymore in Star Wars. I'm guessing that's why Nomi's been neglected, and why Vima didn't get a chance to shine.

Really? Huh, I didn't know that happened; what's the story behind all of that?

Well, I can tell you that the stories definitely take place in the Old Republic era, but they're more about the ancient wars between the Jedi and the Sith such as: The Hyperspace Wars

The Great Hyperspace war was actually in the Prequel Comic released several years later called Tales of the Jedi: The Golden Age of the Sith, which as you said is a pre history, but is actually more about the return to the Republic and the demise of the Original Sith (although their inception is explained).

The Freedon Nadd Uprising, and The Sith War are sequel comic lines to the first TOTJ, which was in Fact called Knights of the Old Republic when it went to TPB, and an Important precursor to KotOR in more than Just the name's and mentioned Characters.

You could say they are more like historical reference's or a prehistory to how everything got started concerning the Jedi and Sith.

Not Really, although at the time the Continuity wasn't quite as fleshed out as it is now, so you could say, at that point, they were the oldest stories Available.

OP: At the end of the day all the various TOTJ prequels, sequels and spin offs are awesome, and deserve to be on yur shelf! enjoy

Really? Huh, I didn't know that happened; what's the story behind all of that?
I have no idea. The Wookieepedia articles only talk about a "controversy" and "legal issues", but not much details are known. It's said that Lucasfilm was allowed to use the actual Sunrider characters without naming them Sunrider. KotOR was supposed to have Vima Sunrider as party member, but since the name Sunrider couldn't be used, they replaced her with Bastila Shan.

There have been instances, however, where this agreement has, deliberately or not, been disregarded. In that same KotOR, one instance where Jolee mentioned Nomi Sunrider crept into the game, which Chris Avellone later claimed was unintentional. In KotOR 2, the items of Nomi Sunrider you can find in the game, are named "Nomi's Robe" and "Nomi's Armband", without the "Sunrider" name. Other sources, such as The New Essential Chronology, Star Wars: Galaxies and Coruscant Nights I, did use the Sunrider name, without any consequences.

Anyway, for those that haven't gotten the TOTJ comics yet, they've been beautifully repacked into two Omnibus volumes. I've got them on my shelves, they're awesome. :)

The Great Hyperspace war was actually in the Prequel Comic released several years later called Tales of the Jedi: The Golden Age of the Sith, which as you said is a pre history, but is actually more about the return to the Republic and the demise of the Original Sith (although their inception is explained).

Yeah, that's true. No doubt about that.

The Freedon Nadd Uprising, and The Sith War are sequel comic lines to the first TOTJ, which was in Fact called Knights of the Old Republic when it went to TPB, and an Important precursor to KotOR in more than Just the name's and mentioned Characters.

Hmmm, I'm not sure I'm following you on that adamqd. Are you saying that they were called Knights of the Old Republic in retrospect or do you mean that the title is actually printed on the TPB's? The only reason I'm asking is because I don't see a title like that on any of the TPB's that I have, they just say: STAR WARS: Tales of the Jedi and on the cover just underneath or below those titles they say: The Collection, Dark Lords of the Sith, The Sith War, etc - and they come in volumes. Maybe your talking about some reprinted versions I haven't seen yet or something.

Not Really, although at the time the Continuity wasn't quite as fleshed out as it is now, so you could say, at that point, they were the oldest stories Available.

Yeah, your really right about that - no argument here. I guess I was thinking that they were a good reference to go too, especially whenever you read about artifacts or ancient characters from other characters mentioning them years later in other Star Wars comics, TPB's, or even some of the real novels. Of course there is always Wookieepedia for that, probably much faster too instead of digging through your old TOTJ comics to get the info.

OP: At the end of the day all the various TOTJ prequels, sequels and spin offs are awesome, and deserve to be on yur shelf! enjoy

Yep, I totally agree...just wish I had a good bookshelf to put them on.

Originally Posted by Miltiades

I have no idea. The Wookieepedia articles..........................

Yeah, I remember reading the same thing come to think of it - on Wookiepedia awhile back.

Still, it's a damn shame. It would of been nice to have seen the character Nomi, in some adventure roles for TOTJ along with Vima.

But that's the way it is I guess, fans gotta suffer because of the legal mumbo jumbo.

Hmmm, I'm not sure I'm following you on that adamqd. Are you saying that they were called Knights of the Old Republic in retrospect or do you mean that the title is actually printed on the TPB's?

I've taken a Picture of my 1994 TPB collecting the first run of TOTJ comics, It seems I was mistaken on the title pertaining to the Comic itself... But it could in fact be the first instance of the Phrase, and influence on Bioware when naming KotOR? :)

I saw the TOR comics in a little advertising interlude touting the MMO coming up. I wonder...does anyone think these comics will make the printing press?

@ the subject: I've liked the whole Legacy Series. Cade might wind up being the good guy, however I see the writers sticking to the archtypal american anti-hero routine. Cade being only a hair's breath away from being a bad guy himself.

Capcom did similar with Zero in the megaman X series and actually it wound up making him a highly popular character for it, rivaling if not surpassing megaman X. (Some might debate that, but I've watched other fans enough to know better.)

Also, the imperial side is now a much stronger element in the stories...I do not think the outcome will be quite the same as all the past...the Republic may live on, but I see a sovereign empire standing in the future that actually has enough believers in nobility to make it legitimate enough to distance itself from Palpatine's beginning of it.

The KOTOR comics? Fine to start out with--at least it was. I'd like to see Nihilus' beginnings, I already can guess Kreia, and Darth Sion has a back story elsewhere. I'm a bit frustrated with the KOTOR series of late and hope it picks up soon. Goes somewhere. Maybe highlights some backgrounds of more characters from the games? That would be nice. I'm *very* curious after Hasbro's unveiling of Nihilus and that he actually had dreadlock hair...

150px-Nihilus_Dreads.jpg

Archived