Home

Monkey Island 2 *Special Edition* - Artwork

Guy.brush

Well if they did use camera projection, there would still be the question of wether to use it to "just" enhance a 2D image or go real 3D.

Their MI2:SE probably would still be using 2D SCUMM, so cam projection in their case would only be to enhance shadows, etc in a 2D image. They could easily go back to Photoshop after that and then reedit on top of the 2D+3D image. But to be honest, just for retouching one 2D image it could be kind of a waste.

The technique I demonstrated lends itself to transform something from 2D into real 3D so there would be the potential to do it with a real 3d engine that pans a little from side to side as Guybrush goes from left to right (or in the case of Captain Dread's boat: The camera could dolly in a little on that boat when Guybrush walks towards it)

Not too much camera movement, always faithful to the original screen. Just to give a sense of the place. Kind of like Telltale did it with their backgrounds. Keeping the 2D feel by not allowing the player to roam freely and look at the 4th wall (facing the player), so you can design your backgrounds as 2D and neatly as possible.

maybe I can show you the Voodoo hideout later tonight. :)

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool, very nice.

Update on the Voodoo hideout: It's currently rendering and I still need to make some stills and maybe a movie. You'll definitely get it tomorrow on Sunday, dunno if I'm gonna make it tonight.

The Voodoo hideout perfectly illustrates what a good Monkey Island 2 desperately needs: Light & shadows, lots of them, moody and grotesque.

As you will see, a 3d approach to lighting and the exaggerated "cartoony" forms and textures of the original artworks are not mutually exclusive. They work together nicely. Enough teasing...back to mixing my Voodoo.

Cool to hear Dominic liked it. I updated my site with the new Voodoo...

http://www.loneclone.de/projects/monkey.htm

I might post some pictures later. Again, too tired :)

Did you know that one of the LucasArts bods told you to go and look at their recruitment page?

I spotted this:

https://www.lucasfilm.apply2jobs.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=mExternal.showJob&RID=1376&CurrentPage=1

and this:

https://www.lucasfilm.apply2jobs.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=mExternal.showJob&RID=1283&CurrentPage=1

Amazing... I have no words.

If one person, in less than a week of work, and without disposing of the full quality of the original artwork is capable of reaching such degree of perfection, what couldn't LucasArts do with all their resources?

They must be blind if they don't take good note of your skills, you're REALLY talented and, as a fan, you know exactly what we fans want from a good remake (well, fans and anybody with eyes on their faces).

Oh crap, you just blew my mind - I know the images like the back of my hand but somehow I'm seeing them in a completely new way. Seriously good work there.

You should get one of these newfangled lucasforum awards that have started appearing.

Problem is, I already have a job at a nice studio :)

You don't have to be their employee, but maybe a paid (and well-paid :p) collaborator. Or even your studio could be hired for a collaboration.

There are many possibilities, you don't have to leave Germany ;).

Archived