Home

Monkey Island 2 *Special Edition* - Artwork

Guy.brush

Guy.Brush, those wallpapers are great! I love the third one, where the focus is on the post rather than Dread's house. Very atmospheric, especially when you zoom in so that the houseboat is almost centre-screen and the post is off to the right... hehe... also makes you really appreciate Purcell's composition... ahem, anyway. Great job :)

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to be clear about it: I don't intent to "finish" this. There is just no way. Both from a copyright standpoint and a workload one. It's LucasArts' IP, I just wanted to show what could be achieved when some effort is applied.

The original paintings (at least the ones we have) ooze of cool lighting and mood and I just wanted to capture and enhance that using modern techniques.

I might do the Voodoo lady hideout just for fun, but otherwise, I'm not trying to do any kind of conversion, product or game mod with this.

I got bored and started working on the Voodoo lady hideout during render times of another project. :)

Never noticed how neat the basic composition is before I started to lay it out in basic 3d. That scene is a bit more challenging from a perspective POV. Everything bends and is so weirdly shaped...but the light fx should give a nice mood.

Dunno how long it takes, maybe till Friday. :)

Fantastic effort Guy.brush, I'm awestruck.

Why the blazes isn't this on the frontpage right now?

Well at least Haggis put it on talesofmi.net... who needs Mojo's front page anyway? :p

Guy.brush, I'd like to say that I didn't let out a girly squeal when you said you'd do the Voodoo lady's place, but I'm afraid I can't.

or read my initial post somewhere down the thread :)

Hmm maybe this would've deserved it's own thread...

Ok so the images didnt make to much sence to me but now I am amazed! I can baraley speak! No joke I just finished MI2 and love it and this would be mabyt the best game I have everplayed!

Good Job dude you have real tallent:thmbup1:

Now it's also on MTV Multiplayer... who claim this will be turned into a game, and Guy.brush has apparently been cloned, since it's made by multiple "crazy Germans". I just love this kind of awesome* journalism, reminds me of the whole Monkey Island 5 fiasco when that concept art for the MI movie surfaced.

* read: horrible

Wow.

[Jon Stewart Mode]Really? Really?![/Jon Stewart Mode]

How can anyone even think I would go ahead and magically make an entire new game out of this? It's LucasArts' IP. I just wanted to show (them) what is possible with some proper Voodoo. This is just for fun and honing my cam projection/modelling skills.

Those artworks have been engrained into our brains for so long, it's just nice to make them look all fancy pantsy.

oh btw Voodoo mama scene is coming together nicely. Just takes some time to model all the little bottles and stuff the lady has in her hideout.

Now it's also on MTV Multiplayer... who claim this will be turned into a game, and Guy.brush has apparently been cloned, since it's made by multiple "crazy Germans". I just love this kind of awesome* journalism, reminds me of the whole Monkey Island 5 fiasco when that concept art for the MI movie surfaced.

* read: horrible

Wow thats pretty crazy. How did they get ahold of Guy.brush's stuff? are they allowed to do that?

Heres some of the comments:

Gohan posted: I think that you are misinterpreting the project. It looks more like a test demo as to what MI2 COULD look like using a different method (2D art placed onto 3D surfaces) than what LucasArts did for MI: SE.

Isnt that realy what you were doing Guy.brush? MTV Makes it sound like you were going to make it into a game.

Spooty_the_gameguru posted:I'll never understand why indie devs/fan collaborators show these sorts of things when taking time into consideration. It almost always ends up with the inevitable cease & desist letter. Release it first, then let the many enthusiast press sites whisk it into infamy.

Ok so it sounds like he has the wrong Idea and so does MTV.

and Whats up with the crazy Germans thing!? Are you German Guy.brush? If not then that totaly doesnt make sense to me. I am guessing that its because its always Germans that try to make the Remakes and sequals like the DOTT2 project. I am surprised they havnt got shut down already.

oh btw Voodoo mama scene is coming together nicely. Just takes some time to model all the little bottles and stuff the lady has in her hideout.

Will a whip help you go faster?*

...Anyway, this is gonna be on the front page of every news paper soon. I can see the headline now: "Team of Norwegian women create Star Wars VII in 3 days using screen shots from old adventure game - George Lucas 'not surprised'"

* hint: yes

How he became multiple Germans is another question entirely.

They probably think that Paco Vink is the other crazy German. Just because his name appears in the credits (because of the Guybrush he drew) doesn't mean he is involved in the project though... and he's of course Dutch, not German. Journalism makes me cry.

Edit: The LucasArts guy on Twitter seems to like it as well: http://twitter.com/lucasartsgames/status/2913534492

Archived