Home

WHO DO YOU WORK FOR?!!!?

The Seeker

so yeah, I know a lot of us spend an inordinate amount of time here in the swamp, but internet service isn't free, so what do you do for a living? By what means do you afford your Dorito supply? legitimate job or petty banditry? go on, spill it.

I'll kick it off. I am primarily an EMT and I work in my hospital ER doing badass things like making splints, stopping bleeds, doing CPR, running EKGs for heart problems, starting IV's and just helping out the nurses and docs in general. I also work on my family's horse ranch on my days off. And most fun of all, I guide whitewater raft trips whenever possible.

so, bring it on. Where's the dough come from?

i work full-time at a photo lab in walmart. it was fun until they put up the next 2 week's schedules where i get like 30 hours between 2 weeks. I'm not sure how i'm going to pay all my bills now.

the best part about it is i just got a pretty decent raise last week, been working there 4 years.

I do contract electronics engineering work and am about to enter into a part/full time contracted job writing microcontroller firmware for a company that makes electronics displays for Sony and similar companies to place in stores. I also sometimes work in a cave doing the same.

The last two summers I worked for the Department of Recreation in Massachusetts. I worked as a park worker both years, first at a state pool and last year in a state park. Really easy job, I got paid 8 dollars an hour, but got 40 hours a week and almost no taxes taken out. Sadly they had to lay off a lot of jobs this year so I'm not employed by anyone this summer. :(

I work at a grocery store, in the deli department, serving people sliced meat which is actually slowly killing them due to the "meat" being 50% salt and 50% preservatives.

Other duties include stocking a few coolers, terrifying and making the seafood manager cry (no joke), and cleaning everything in the department 12982938 times per shift.

I work there part time, and get roughly 15 hours a week, being paid 9.50 an hour.

Job 1: I clean houses, I work for the family business housekeeping and has been the only real stable job of late $10.00/hr, rarely $15.00-$25.00/hr, Trade w/ Dentists and doctors for free care If I so elect.

Job 2: Construciton maintenance and electrical. I build houses, preferably the electrical or landscaping but lately my boss has had trouble finding bid contracts. Will do almost any of this. Apprentice electrician, carpenter grunt. I have done maintenance and insulation in filthy crawlspaces of slums lately on my own. Smells like bums lived there. $17.50/hr or on job site appraisal bid.

Job 3: DJMC, fun on the weekends, announcing, playlists, cues, etc. Once I'm fully trained I'll not just be a roadie/gopher. Problem is they come too far apart to be a stable living. Rarer still to get it super well paying.

$15.00-$25.00 usually.

Peak was one job 4 hours=$200.00 ($50.00/hr). This is rarest of rare.

Job 4ish: Odd Jobs: wrecking crew/dump hauling, handyman, chauffeur, mechanic, welder, and cook. Varies, and not always for money. Winter time Snow Removal. On job bid for per hr rate. Starts @ $20.00/hr

As you can see I'm on my own schedule, but there's no vacation time and I work weekends. Gotta hustle.

I am currently interning for an advertising agency in the life science market doing online marketing. Don't have a full time job during school, but I'll probably be doing something similar when I graduate.

^^^I'm non-union and I work in complete opposite temperatures, but you're right. What's *not* to love about electrical?

Especially during spare time plugging soda can capacitors into outlets and watching them go KABOOM. --Or using properly rated ones as tazers.

Yes the, "Hey heads up!" *ZAP*. Classic.

Tell ya something that's not cool, having a main disconnect arc in your face. Happened earlier this week and I still have to wear my sunglasses indoors.

Yes the, "Hey heads up!" *ZAP*. Classic.

Tell ya something that's not cool, having a main disconnect arc in your face. Happened earlier this week and I still have to wear my sunglasses indoors.

Not enough to make one quit but maybe a little gun shy. Damn. Hasn't happened to me quite like that, but yea it sucks that happens, or a hi tension spark of any kind gives you flash burns b/c you thought is was gonna be a quickie so you wore your t-shirt. Hope you at least skated free on the shrapnel bit?

Kinda like when someone hits the main box...connected to a line of 250 halogens for a stage...you literally *just* finished...and you're still 40 ft. up. Only enough time to close your eyes while you turn your head quickly.

Kinda like when someone hits the main box...connected to a line of 250 halogens for a stage...you literally *just* finished...and you're still 40 ft. up. Only enough time to close your eyes while you turn your head quickly.

I used to get that all the time when I was in concert lighting. And more zaps and burns than I ever want to think about.

Now it's all blasts of feedback when the singer points their mic right into a raging stage monitor... or when a drummer chooses to lay into a crash cymbal millimeters from your ear just as you are attempting to position a mic.

Oh... AND I STILL get the lampies pointing lights right in my eyes from inches away all the time!

I haven't decided which is worse...

I am the sole proprietor of David Walton Photography, meaning I'm self-employed. I do photoshoots and occasionally weddings. It's all very new. I've only been doing it for about a month, but it pays really, really well. During the Taste of Chicago I sold a panorama I shot of the Bean and would be taking home $300 a day. It's been a lot slower since then, obviously, but still definitely beats a real job.

I break into cars and houses. Legally.

I'm a locksmith. It's a fun job, but the hours are long.

My neighbor's father used to be a locksmith, and he still has all of his old equipment and the like. One day back in middle school or Freshmen year of high school I got home from school and my parents weren't home and I was locked out, and he just came right over and picked the lock right open. It was ridiculous.

I'm a 3D artist, currently working in the video games industry.

I got the first part down... trying for the second part. I just got 2 more classes to go until I get my Associate's (which will be Music Fundamentals and Intro to Game Design and Development), and then I can start looking for a job in the industry. I'm going off to SIGGRAPH for my second year in a few weeks, so that should be helpful.

Archived