Home

Monkey Island Special Edition - File Formats

Benny

hey guys...

just found this forum trough google...

could somebody tell me (and the user people who don't get it either) how to extract the new music? i understand that they are packt in xwb but i couldn't find a tool to extract the music properly... with EkszBox-ABX i only get an error and with the XWB_Extractor_11 there are too many filese to uncheck or am i wrong? please help somebody... pretty please?

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hey guys...

just found this forum trough google...

could somebody tell me (and the user people who don't get it either) how to extract the new music? i understand that they are packt in xwb but i couldn't find a tool to extract the music properly... with EkszBox-ABX i only get an error and with the XWB_Extractor_11 there are too many filese to uncheck or am i wrong? please help somebody... pretty please?

Music and other audio is being worked on (by BG, me, and others) :)

Looks like you don't have .NET Framework 3.5 (SP1) installed? Actually thought .NET would be more graceful about it - it used to be :p
Yeah, it was just that, it works now. I thought it wouldn't even start without .NET, so since it DID start, I assumed I had it installed.

Yeah, you probably have .NET 2.0 or higher installed already (if you're on Vista, you have 3.0), which will allow the program to run, but as soon as it needs 3.5 libraries, it'll crash.

Annoyingly, there's no really fool proof way of checking it at start up (which I actually assumed it already did). Might just wrap an installer around it sometime. No time at the moment, though (which will bite me in the ass when everyone starts asking why it crashes ;-))

Edited "release post" to add link to the .NET Framework 3.5 SP 1 Client Profile...

Well, jott has already written on it.

If you:

- choose "DDS" for DXT output in the dropdown

- pick the game folder with the MONKEY1.PAK file in it as Destination Folder

- and save the file with "Include original subfolder" checked

... it will store the file in the same subfolder that the game expects to find it in - but in dds format, which a lot of graphics apps and image converters can open (there's a plugin for e.g. PhotoShop, I believe).

Then, after you've edited the DDS, it needs to be converted back to DXT format - jott posted a tool for that above - and should stay in the same folder, with the same name (but with .dxt extension).

Then the game should prefer that file to the one stored in the .pak.

Here are my tools compiled for Windows. I suppose all Linux folks know what to do anyway :raise:.

http://helicoid.de/scumm/extractpak.zip

http://helicoid.de/scumm/dds2dxt.zip

Well maybe I'll polish the dds2dxt later (edit: done). It's really basic at the moment but should work.

The extractpak.exe must be started in the same folder as Monkey1.pak.

Keep in mind that it will create 2GB of files as all the dxt are stored as dds AND dxt.

Now let the modding begin....

As for a tutorial on how to modify an image:

1) Extract the resources with folder (either all with my extractpak.exe or some specific files with Serges tool) in your game folder.

2) Find the dds you want to modify and load it in your favorite image editor that supports dds. (XnView can convert dds, there is a plugin for Photoshop and you could also use the DirectX Texture Tool from the DX SDK, etc..)

3) Convert the dds back to dxt with "dds2dxt.exe xxx.dds xxx.dxt" - remember to put/leave the dxt in the original path.

4) Launch the game and test it.

5) Play barber and go to 2) :)

Ah, what the heck... BG wanted to do one, jott already did one, and I already did one. So might as well release it - this one with source, and pretty much public domain (since it was done in 20 minutes - except for the FileReader/FileWriter which are work in progress for SR6 - note, they aren't meant to be efficient, they're just meant to work ;)).

It will only work with DirectX 9 format dds files (same format as jott's tool and Remonkeyed - and most others - save).

Simply add dds files by clicking Add files... Then click Convert. It will place the dxt files in the same folder as the dds files. Warning: It will also overwrite already existing dxt files without prompting.

http://highland.mixnmojo.com/other/DDStoDXT.zip

For execution, you simply need the .exe (and the usual pesky .NET framework)

ETA: Should check again before I post. Didn't see jott's post, which would have saved me some trouble. Oh well, the more alternatives the better, I guess :)

I'm looking into the 0x28 table right now...

That table is an array of CRC32s for all the filenames, but instead of taking the filename bytes as-is, it masks it with 0xDF before processing them.

Edit: The XML files are also based on this, some strings are not in the XMLs themselves but only their CRC32, which is calculated in the exe.

That table is an array of CRC32s for all the filenames, but instead of taking the filename bytes as-is, it masks it with 0xDF before processing them.

And then the files are ordered by that CRC - figured search index or hash table - but it stumped me for some reason, because the table was numerically sorted :-P

Thanks, Ben :-) I'd just given up on it, since it wasn't needed to unpack.

Did anyone find out what the tweaks.txt is there for?

Seems like it reads some sort of config parameters but I haven't had success in changing anything

tweaks.txt:

UI.Show Inventory Verb,1

UI.Slide Animation,1

UI.Fade Out Pointer,1

UI.Cursor.Speed,2.500000

Input.AutoRepeatDelayMS,500

SCUMM.Selected Costume,27

EJ.Sticky feet,0.200000

Input.InitialRepeatDelayMS,150

UI.Verb Fade Amount,0.400000

SCUMM.Preview Costume,1

SCUMM.Jump to room,28

SCUMM.Load game,0

UI.Verb Disc,0

UI.Hint.HoldTime,1.000000

SCUMM.Save game,1

EJ.Smoothification mode,1

UI.Overlay Verbs,1

SCUMM.Draw Costume Info,0

UI.Cursor.Power,1.600000

Ah, interesting thing about the CRC32!

I just improved my dds2dxt a bit so it can be easily integrated in a workflow.

It just expects the dds file as argument and stores the result in a file with the same base name but dxt extension. This way you can either drag&drop a dds on the application or associate dds files with it (or what ever you prefer).

Executable + Source:

http://helicoid.de/scumm/dds2dxt.zip

Maybe we should collect information about the "XML".

I've not looked much into them yet.

My current info for Costumes header:

Edit: Removed. See later post.

What do you know? Can you confirm/improve my findings?

Edit: I'm quite sure that the second points are actually a path...

Archived